“DON'T BELIEVE THE NEGATIVE HYPE! We Took a Chance and Came Out HIGHLY SATISFIED!!!! Long but Should READ ENTIRE REVIEW”

Dayton House Resort
Ranked #28 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Huntersville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Just got back from DHR. Stayed in an oceanfront 2 room suite for 3 days. It was AWESOME! I began planning for our mini-vacation about 2 months ago. I read reviews of hotels on Trip Advisor daily. I was very anxious about booking any hotel as we saved our hard earned money for this trip and wanted it to be worth it. I read the reviews of DHR and most were favorable, still, I was nervous after reading some of the bad reviews. We arrived about 2 hours prior to check in. We were greeted warmly and enthusiastically by Hector at the front desk. Everyone behind the front desk {except for ADAM} was smiling and made great eye contact -- more about ADAM later. While we were checking in we overheard other guests who were checking in comment that they had been coming to the DHR for years and they spoke very highly of it. We were allowed to go to our room early even though we were 2 hours early. Hector told us that if we needed anything to let him know [now, we know that most people just say this to be nice but we found out later that this was absolutely truthful].
Our room overlooked the ocean on the 10th floor. A BEAUTIFUL view! The room was clean with enough room for us to move around. We had 2 children with us ages 10 and 8 so it was nice that there was a living room with its own t.v. that they could hang out in while we could have some time to ourselves in the main bedroom. There were 2 t.v.s in the room, a small but efficient galley style kitchen with a full fridge. The bathroom was a little small but it worked for us. The living room was a nice size and it also featured a murphy bed which could sleep 2 people. Therefore, our suite could sleep 6 people.
CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS AWESOME AND GENUINE! I cannot say enough about Brittany and especially Kendall at the front desk. I called down one time to book a room for my cousin who decided to come down to join us and Brittany was friendly and helpful. I like that after they help you they say "My pleasure". One time I was trying to print out a restaraunt coupon from their printer in the lobby and it wouldn't work. Kendall went out of her way to help me and even apologized to me for the fact that I was having trouble. This mishap took about 20 minutes to fix and throughout the entire time Kendall was friendly and smiling. Another time we noticed that there was no remote control for our t.v. in the bedroom. I called the front desk and within 15 minutes someone arrived with a remote, programmed it and apologized for it not being there. Everytime I met a hotel employee in the halls or on the grounds they spoke to me, smiled...etc. I felt that I was a truly valued guest. Pearl came to clean our rooms and was fantastic....again, very friendly.
The pools were fun...we really enjoyed the Lazy River, the hot tub and the fact that we were right on the beach. NEGATIVE: I wish that they would enforce the "no swimming, no jumping in" rule at the Lazy River because it was annoying to have kids do this in only 2 feet of water when you are just trying to float around and take it easy - hence the name "Lazy River".
The elevators were slow sometimes but this was only during the busiest times which should be expected. We didn't find them to be that annoying. No, there is no AC in the hallways but I'm ok with that. The windows are open so you get a nice breeze plus I wouldn't want to see them raise the prices so that you can have AC in the hallways!
PARKING: We stayed in the All Suites building which has parking underneath. This was nice. It was a little weird and awkward that floors 2-4 of the parking garage have very low ceilings and to access these floors you have to drive under a low hanging sign designed to prevent SUVs, minivans and such from going up. We had a Trailblazer so when we went up it did make a loud sound on the top of our SUV. We have a roof rack so there was no damage to the paint on my car but I wonder about those without roof racks. There are only about 8 parking spaces on the ground level so if you cannot get up to the other floors and don't want to have that hanging sign hit your car then I guess you could park across the street.
NEGATIVE: ABOUT ADAM!! This young man was at the front desk each time I went down stairs. He never made eye contact with me even though I know he saw me coming. I never saw him smile at anyone. He seemed to be a bit arrogant to me. At one point, I entered the lobby [which is very small] as he was finishing up with another customer. I know he saw me yet when he finished he turned away from me while I was left standing there waiting for him to turn back around. I felt this was RUDE. I stared him down and finally he turned around as if he were surprised that I was there. Again, no smiles, no "how are you?" no nothing. I had read previous complaints about this dude so I think the owners may want to secretly observe his interactions with the guests. Everyone else at the desk was wonderful. However, on the last day we were there there was a young lady [who I had not seen prior to that point] behind the desk popping her gum VERY LOUDLY. I don't think that anyone in customer service should be chewing gum.

The wi-fi in the rooms was very slow but we were not annoyed as we did not come on vacation to surf the net. Also, the cell phones did not get good reception in the rooms unless you went out on the balcony.

Overall, our stay was great! I would definitely stay here again!!!

Oh yeah, we had no problems with any bed bugs as previous posters have stated.

2 Thank momof2dudes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
Seagrove, North Carolina
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Great hotel and location. Hotel consist of several buildings on the oceanfront and one across the road. Very clean, perfect spot for a family. Hotel offers several pools, indoor and outdoor, a lazy river and several hot tubs. On the grassy lawn are table and chairs to enjoy the great view. Hotel offers rooms and suites. Our suite was not large but comfortable for our family. Room was very clean and had a great view. Staff came daily to clean and supply towels. Will return here again and again.

1 Thank rnclover
Virginia
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I have spent most of my life in the service of others and the worst customer experience I have ever had, belongs to, the General Manager Paul at the Dayton House. According to their maintenance man, the new Amana Air Conditioning Units they purchased are failing daily! Which is what happened to me at 4:30 in the morning, a terrible thumping noise. When I complained to the front desk, I was labeled as a problem. General Manager, Paul finally rolls into work sometime after 9am. He calls me with an attitude. When I tell him I will come and speak to him in person. He confronts me outside of my building and becomes confrontational. Unbeliveable and shame on him! I have contacted my credit card company, the Better Business Bureau, the Chamber of Commerce and will hopefully be able to contact the Thomas Family Directly. Beware if you have a complaint!

9 Thank TrojanTroy
paulgarcia, Manager at Dayton House Resort, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
We appreciate the opportunity to respond to TrojanTroy. We do remember TrojanTroy's visit to our property. We provided a complimentary additional bed for his family at check-in. The next morning at approximately 7am he reported an air conditioning problem. The air conditioner was one of ten new ones we had installed with a manufacturers fan defect that was unknown to us. TrojanTroy was very aggressive towards our front office team members via telephone and shortly afterward entered the lobby and with a loudly pitched voice spoke to the team members in a threatening fashion. This behavior was upsetting to staff and guests alike. After being briefed I called TrojanTroy to apologize and let him know we were doing our best. Again, he exhibited the same behavior and told me he would meet me in the lobby. Knowing that I had several guests checking out, I chose to meet him on his way to the lobby to avoid exposing our guests and my fellow teammates to his aggressive behavior. I immediately refunded him one hundred dollars in currency for his inconvenience.
My team stands by our consolidated effort to please TrojanTroy during his stay with us even when they felt under duress.
Paul Garcia, General Manager
Dodge City, Kansas
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Stayed at the Dayton House with 3 teenage girls, and it was perfect. We arrived at 11am and check in wasn't until 3pm. Everyone was very friendly, gave us a parking pass and they offered the changing room to be able to go to the beach right away, (just outside) they called my cell phone to let us know the room was ready. Staff was very friendly and helpful, gave us information about local attractions, directions, insider scoops, etc. You could pull up to the building to unload your car and parking was good right across the street or within a block. We ate breakfast at the restaurant and the breakfast bar was fantastic. (late morning and you didn't have to eat again until evening !!! )
Our air conditioner broke late one afternoon and maintenance was up in about 5 minutes (the fan had broken) and they had to replace the whole thing. I thought we would have to move to another room, but they had the whole insides replaced in less than 15 minutes TOTAL! (thank goodness, it was 100 degrees outside)
We wanted to stay another night, but it was peak season and all the angle ocean front rooms were booked (that is where we were) so we got one in the west building across the street (but it had to be cleaned) and they made sure we had a room the whole switch. The pools and hot tub were extremely clean, kitchen in room was great for food to keep costs down, We will certainly stay here again if we are going to Myrtle Beach!!

1 Thank nurseyperson
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 17, 2010

This hotel was awesome it had 3 pools, a lazy river and a hot tub. It was beachfront and the room had a mini kitchen w/ fridge, microwave, sink, stove and oven.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank EricaM79
marion, in
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Really enjoyed our vacation at Myrtle Beach. The Dayton House was nice. The pools were very clean. Rooms were cleaned every day. Staff was friendly, what little I dealt with them. The only bad thing was our GPS got stolen out of my locked car while it was parked in the Dayton House parking lot. Not that I blame the hotel for that, but it put a damper on vacation a little! We had an oceanfront view. Loved the table you could sit at in the lawn. Will go back next year.

1 Thank traveler_01_IN
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I stayed with a friend from the 13 - 16. The hotel is in a nice location, right on the beach in the quieter part of the beach. It's a nice place with good service. We got put in the West building which is directly across the street from the beach, and the hotels 4 other buildings. The room was outdated, the tv reception was crappy, and the wifi didn't work worth a crap, as I assumed it wouldn't since I read that on a bunch of reviews I read before staying. If you are there for location, and with family, it's a great hotel. 3 pools plus a little lazy river good for kids. Very nice place for kids and families, also if you don't care about tv and wifi much. Would recommend it, but try to get a room on the beach. Lots of stuff nearby, restaurants and such, mini golf all around. Ultimate California Pizza is real good, but a little pricy, recommended as well, also Kono Steakhouse and sushi is very good with beautiful waitresses.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends