“Just OK this time”

Dayton House Resort
Ranked #30 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 30, 2008

This was our second stay at the Dayton House in the Suites building. Our first was 2 years ago. The rooms need are hurting for renovations and updates. In just 2 years we noticed a difference. It also was not as clean as we remembered. Housekeeping was not up to par. I'm not sure they own a sweeper or washcloth. Also the resort is non smoking including on the balconies - HAH! If you are a smoker, you should stay there and smoke on your balcony. Even when reported, the staff did nothing about it. Oh, we also booked under the "stay 5 nights, get 2 free" deal. We were overcharged. Luckily my husband caught the error.

On the upside, the location is great. The best feature of this resort is still the lawn area conveniently located between the beach and the pool areas.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MKGPittsburgh
There are newer reviews for Dayton House Resort

Reviewed August 26, 2008

I agree with the reviews indicating the place is starting to look long in the tooth and showing heavy signs of wear and tear everywhere. This was our second year here giving them the benefit of the doubt after being told the place was being spruced up. Last year, our room had a stain in the ceiling and we woke to flaking ceiling paint on the beds every morning. Staff was not at all appologetic but they were very creative with explanations. We tried to book out earlier than we had planned and when we asked for a nights refund the desk staff (Owner?) was beyond rude...he was downright hostile. This place boasts internet availability, however, what they don't tell you is that the rooms do not have an internet connection, you are relagated to going into an open air "lobby" or thru-way to get a signal...entirely rediculous. One would think that the number of people in this lobby trying to check email would be a signal for the Owners to jump right into the 1990's and provide internet service in the rooms. The cleaning staff has always been very friendly. It's a quiet place for older travelers and young families. I think this place is hit or miss with emphasis on the miss.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank mbinmb
Reviewed August 20, 2008

I often read the reviews and wonder if there are competitors who write reviews. I saw so many bad reviews on this place but was told it was nice. Well maybe it was nice 30 years ago but not so much anymore. First, the enjoyment of your visit greatly depends on which building you stay. Fortunately, we stayed in one of the 3 partial ocean view room areas. There are two or 3 full ocean view areas and a whole building across the street from the main resort. Our party was spread out and some stayed in the full ocean view and one couple stayed across the street. Across the street was not so great. The room was tiny, the view was terrible. The room was a mess. The Sea Echo Motel behind it looked like a "no-tell-motel". It just wasn't very nice. Even our rooms weren't cleaned very well and the rooms are BADLY in need of rennovation. The Fridge, stove, oven and microwave were nice though. Some complained about the street but it looks like most of the resorts require crossing the street. The grassy area out front was nice. You could sit and watch the ocean above the sand line. However, though they require a wristband, it seemed loosely enforced and with the public beach access running right through the middle of the resort, it seemed a lot of non resort guests used it. This public beach access made the safety of property a bit suspect too. Additionally, the port-a-potties for the public access made for an oh so pleasant smell especially every couple of mornings when they emptied it. I feel like for the money, there are a couple or three better places to stay from what we saw. Rather than state them and look like a competitor, I would say, just do your research. I wouldn't say don't stay here, but I would say, you might be able to find some better spots for the money.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Hattrix1111
Reviewed August 17, 2008

This resort was perfect for a family that likes poolside and ocean fun all day and a quiet restful night.Lots of parking,clean environment and helpful staff. We will be returning.

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank AccfromCanada
Reviewed July 20, 2008

I was kinda worried after reading some of the reviews on here. But after my stay I will have to say that those people that said the hotel was bad were wrong.
I am single mom and I took my two boys. We had a wonderful time. My oldest son said he liked it and he don't like much this days.
The walk in pool is great for little kids to adults. The ocean front is nice. But if you want one of those tables; you will have to get up before dawn. I stayed in the south tower. It was nice, I really liked the clean room.
I liked that they had a restuarant a block away.
But I did not like having to park in the parking garage. That is a long walk with a tired 2 yr old.
My over all exp. was great; the staff where great. I will be staying there next year too.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank rosecarolina
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Don't go expecting anything great. This place really needs a good cleaning and updating. The first room they put us in had a large stain and part of the ceiling was flaking off, also had a strong musty smell. The desk said the room should have not been booked as it was "under repair". We were moved and at least this room did not stink. The bedspreads are faded and everything is old and dated. The bathtub would not drain well and by the end of a shower you were ankle deep in water.
The pool area was clean and there was a good amount of seating. The staff were friendly as were the housecleaning staff.
I will not go back with my family, we can live with dated but not dirty and smelly.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank druggist87
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Great place for a family to stay. Great security, everyone who is a guest must where a wristband when at the pools, keeps people from off the beach from walking up, this is strictly enforced. Not overcrowded, we left the day before July 4th. Everyone was friendly. We did not have reservations, we just walked in and they found the best rates for us, which was a 25% discount for a last minute special. We had a room with 1bedroom, full kitchen, living roon with a wall bed and it was ocean front. The house cleaning people were extremely friendly. I would defintely recommend this place for a family.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family