“Not so great”

Ranked #28 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Ohio
“Not so great”
Reviewed August 20, 2008

I often read the reviews and wonder if there are competitors who write reviews. I saw so many bad reviews on this place but was told it was nice. Well maybe it was nice 30 years ago but not so much anymore. First, the enjoyment of your visit greatly depends on which building you stay. Fortunately, we stayed in one of the 3 partial ocean view room areas. There are two or 3 full ocean view areas and a whole building across the street from the main resort. Our party was spread out and some stayed in the full ocean view and one couple stayed across the street. Across the street was not so great. The room was tiny, the view was terrible. The room was a mess. The Sea Echo Motel behind it looked like a "no-tell-motel". It just wasn't very nice. Even our rooms weren't cleaned very well and the rooms are BADLY in need of rennovation. The Fridge, stove, oven and microwave were nice though. Some complained about the street but it looks like most of the resorts require crossing the street. The grassy area out front was nice. You could sit and watch the ocean above the sand line. However, though they require a wristband, it seemed loosely enforced and with the public beach access running right through the middle of the resort, it seemed a lot of non resort guests used it. This public beach access made the safety of property a bit suspect too. Additionally, the port-a-potties for the public access made for an oh so pleasant smell especially every couple of mornings when they emptied it. I feel like for the money, there are a couple or three better places to stay from what we saw. Rather than state them and look like a competitor, I would say, just do your research. I wouldn't say don't stay here, but I would say, you might be able to find some better spots for the money.

• Liked — The grassy area above the beach
  • Disliked — The staff and cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Hattrix1111

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
Brantford
Reviewed August 17, 2008

This resort was perfect for a family that likes poolside and ocean fun all day and a quiet restful night.Lots of parking,clean environment and helpful staff. We will be returning.

Stayed July 2008
2 Thank AccfromCanada
Kernersville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 20, 2008

I was kinda worried after reading some of the reviews on here. But after my stay I will have to say that those people that said the hotel was bad were wrong.
I am single mom and I took my two boys. We had a wonderful time. My oldest son said he liked it and he don't like much this days.
The walk in pool is great for little kids to adults. The ocean front is nice. But if you want one of those tables; you will have to get up before dawn. I stayed in the south tower. It was nice, I really liked the clean room.
I liked that they had a restuarant a block away.
But I did not like having to park in the parking garage. That is a long walk with a tired 2 yr old.
My over all exp. was great; the staff where great. I will be staying there next year too.

• Liked — The view, the clean room,pools
  • Disliked — the parking
1 Thank rosecarolina
Clemmons, North Carolina
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Don't go expecting anything great. This place really needs a good cleaning and updating. The first room they put us in had a large stain and part of the ceiling was flaking off, also had a strong musty smell. The desk said the room should have not been booked as it was "under repair". We were moved and at least this room did not stink. The bedspreads are faded and everything is old and dated. The bathtub would not drain well and by the end of a shower you were ankle deep in water.
The pool area was clean and there was a good amount of seating. The staff were friendly as were the housecleaning staff.
I will not go back with my family, we can live with dated but not dirty and smelly.

• Liked — location to broadway at the beach and ocean
  • Disliked — old, dated and dirty
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank druggist87
henderson
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Great place for a family to stay. Great security, everyone who is a guest must where a wristband when at the pools, keeps people from off the beach from walking up, this is strictly enforced. Not overcrowded, we left the day before July 4th. Everyone was friendly. We did not have reservations, we just walked in and they found the best rates for us, which was a 25% discount for a last minute special. We had a room with 1bedroom, full kitchen, living roon with a wall bed and it was ocean front. The house cleaning people were extremely friendly. I would defintely recommend this place for a family.

• Liked — Oceanfornt
  • Disliked — Hight of the room
1 Thank null4travel
Asheville, NC
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Stayed at the Dayton House for 5 days. When we checked in, they intially had us on the 15th floor of the suites building. My mom doesn't do too well with heights and bad vision, so they accomodated us by moving to the 9th floor. We stayed in room 960 on the end, which was awesome. We had a 2 room suite, which was perfect for having two 16-year loud girls with us. My mom and I stayed in the room with the king bed and had a bathroom and kitchen seperating us from the living room with murphy bed. Girls were able to stay up late and didn't keep us up when we wanted to go to sleep. Parking is the biggest issue, although I only had to park across the street once, and it was only because I came in one night at 10:30. Pools were nice and warm, green bands were not that big of a deal...as long as someone in the group had one on it was no biggie. Loved the tables with the umbrellas. I would definitely recommend and would stay there again.

1 Thank ksnnc
West Portsmouth
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Stayed at Dayton House in June for the second time. Everything was great . check in staff was courteous although they did seem a little tired.
rooms are a little outdated but the beds are very comfy . my room was clean and the maid came every day to do the beds and towels and other general cleaning
you do have to wear the green bracelet if you are in the pool or umbrella areas but i never had any problems with it. another man there said he felt safe there because they dont allow party people to stay there and he could relax and not worry about his kids
the area to unload your luggage and stuff can be a little tricky if there is more than one car doing the same thing but its not that big of a deal.
overall a great experiece. would stay again

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple