“A seafood buffet that's worth a try”

Hook's Calabash Seafood
Ranked #304 of 896 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Through the years, we've eaten at the large, more popular seafood buffets in the area and always find some things we like and some we don't. At Hook's, we really liked many of the items and found very few we didn't. The peel and eat shrimp was very fresh and very good, and they had fried calmari that was tender. Scallops, mussels, flounder, shrimp--all excellent, and the vegetables decent. They also offer BBQ pork and ribs, chicken dishes, pasta and even pizza. Some of the desserts were very good and some so-so. Our server, Jose, was a stand out--we never had to ask for anything and he was a gentleman in every way. If you're considering a seafood buffet in MB, give Hook's a try. Not a 200 item line, but one that emphasizes quality.

1  Thank Lisa G
There are newer reviews for Hook's Calabash Seafood

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We arrived for an early dinner on a Saturday and were seated immediately. I am not a buffet fan but the others in our group wanted to eat here. Personally, I thought the price was kinda high at around $25/person. There is a coupon for $2 off/person in one of the free coupon books that are available all over the area. There are also menu items available and they were mostly around the $20 price range.

The food was all fresh and there was a lot of variety. The place really got busy while we were there and from what I could tell there was a high turnover of food which kept everything fresh.

I must say we received excellent service from our server. She was very friendly and appeared to be happy to be there. She was constantly removing plates, refilling drinks and anticipating needs (saw me coming to the table with a baked potato on my plate and asked if I wanted butter and sour cream, which she brought right away). I left a much higher tip than I planned because she really worked hard to make our experience pleasurable.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

The waiting list was at 30 minutes. A good indicator that the food is decent. It ended up only being about 20 minutes. Our server Jenna or Jenny was fantastic! She said if there was anything we wanted but did not see, let her know and she would get it for us. Well, she meant what she said. I saw they had fried scallops on the menu, but I asked her if I'd be able to have them any other way. She said they offer them broiled on occasion. She checked with the cooks and let me know they were broiling me scallops and would bring them to me once they were ready! They were amazing! The calamari was perfect. The crab legs scrumptious.totally worth the $25.99 per person price tag!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Plenty for everyone , weather you like seafood or not , the food is great , hot and fresh . It is very clean , servers are perfect

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We've been here so often the waitstaff know us on sight! Why fix what's not broken? Hot fresh crab legs & plenty of it!!! Waitstaff polite friendly and always when you need them! Great value especially with the coupons!!!!!