“Never staying anywhere else in Myrtle Beach”

Royale Palms Condominiums by Hilton
Ranked #16 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Columbia, South Carolina
“Never staying anywhere else in Myrtle Beach”
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I normally stay in the main part of Kingston Plantation, but decided to see what Royale Palms was all about as the rates were slightly cheaper then the main hotel. I was pleasantly suprised how beautiful and quiet this place was. The rooms were clean and tastefully decorated. The only thing that I did not like is that the oceanview room had a very limited view of the ocean. But for the price, the service, and how nice the rooms are... I got over it!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed May 1, 2010

We had a great time again, service was great. We had a very good beach front room. The breakfast buffet was "The Best". Actually was what we looked forward to most of all.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Georgia
Reviewed April 28, 2010

This is the BEST hotel in Myrtle Beach! We've stayed her for our last three visits to Myrtle Beach. The accomidations are always outstanding and very affordable. We have a family of 5 and the kids always say "are we going to our beach apartment"! Royale Palms is where we will always stay when visiting Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2010

MY experience at the Royale Palms was great, the staff is very welcoming and helpful. The environment is great for a relaxing vacation experience. I have not complains, but they forgot to bring me shampoo when I called for it!. Other than that I recommend it as a good choice if visiting Myrtle Beach

• Stayed April 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed April 11, 2010

I use tripadvisor often when making travel plans so I felt compelled to write this review as a source of information for others traveling to Myrtle Beach. I chose the Royale Palms based on the reviews I read here, and the overall reputation of Hilton Family Hotels. Unfortunately, I was disappointed by our choice. I reserved an Oceanfront, 2 bedroom condo. Upon arrival, I found long check-in lines with only two employees working the front desk. I decided to use the automated "check-in" kiosk and realized that I had been "upgraded" to a 3 bedroom Oceanview condo. The difference between Oceanview and Oceanfront is monumental -- our "upgraded" room had a view of the parking garage, the neighboring Hilton Hotel, and the parking lot. When I called immediately after check-in to request our original room, I was told it had been given to another customer. Attempts to reach management were met with many transfers and voicemail. The manager finally called me back 3 days later! Attempts to contact the front desk, guest services, and housekeeping were futile -- noone answered the phone during our entire 6 day stay.

The housekeeping staff added to our negative experience. The first day, they arrived at 8:15PM! The following days, they spent no more than 5 minutes and simply made the beds and changed out the towels. No further cleaning, including vacuuming, was performed. We had to request the replacement of basic toiletries.

On a positive note, the units are new and spacious and the outside area was very nice: pools and beach area, outdoor restaurant/bar. Please be advised that the Royale Palms is sandwiched between the Hilton Hotel and another building. The Royale Palms sits back from the other buildings so if you do not have a direct oceanfront room, your primary view will be of these other buildings with only a glimpse of the ocean.

I'm afraid that overall management of this property during our stay was to blame for our negative experience. We travel to Myrtle Beach each year and usually stay at the Island Vista. We only tried the Hilton this year as the Island Vista was booked by the time we made our reservations. We will go back to Island Vista next year.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Beach_Traveler5
GeneralManager15, Manager at Royale Palms Condominiums by Hilton, responded to this review, April 16, 2010
On behalf of myself and the entire team here, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for your recent stay. Your comments are very important to us and It is evident we fell quite short of expectation's in a number of areas. Please rest assured your experience has been reviewed with the team so we may prevent this from happening in the future. You have many choices but chose to stay at the Royale Palms because of it's high rating from Trip Advisor reviews and I would like to prove to you that your recent experience is not typical of our service levels. Please contact me at eugene.silvestri@hilton.com or 843-692-3101 and I would like to personally invite you back to the resort. Regards, Eugene Silvestri, Hotel Manager
Massachusetts
Reviewed April 1, 2010

The hotel and amenities were nice but I was most impressed by the warmth and friendly hospitality of Charles the Fun Bus driver. We were unfamiliar with the area attractions and he was so helpful and made us feel very comfortable. He certainly made our stay a very memorable one. I look forward to seeing him again when we go to Myrtle Beach next year.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Berlin, MD
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I went to the Royale Palms in the middle of March for some vacation time with friends. Let me start off with all of the positives. The property itself is gorgeous. We stayed in the Oceanfront condos, and it was amazing. The bedrooms were well equipped and everything was relatively new. The master bedroom was huge, and the bathroom had both a tub and large stand alone shower. The views from the balcony and windows were spectacular. There was nothing about the condo or physical property that I did not like, it all rose above my expectations.

The pool areas were also well laid out. Being the middle of March, one of the pool areas with the cabanas was not staffed, but the management did not mind guests using it. The pool bar at one area was open, and the bartender Lana was very friendly and helpful. The layout of the pool areas is kind of odd, but that didn't make much of a difference.

The inside of the Hilton, where we checked in and ate was very clean and pretty, very beachy. The restaurant was a typical hotel restaurant, overpriced but convenient. The food, minus one exception I will discuss later, was pretty good. The service was slow, but I think that was because it was a busy weekend in a relatively off season, so you could tell they were not working with the full staff, not their fault completely. The servers were all friendly, but management needs some work. I was surprised that there was only 1 restaurant on site. I would have been happy to try another venue at the resort, but none was offered, and the shuttle, although convenient, wasn't the fastest way to get from place to place. The bar at night was slow with service and laid out poorly, it was too crowded for such a small area. The convenience store inside the Hilton was well stocked and priced as you would expect.

The neatest amenity offered by the resort is the shuttle service, it was a life saver during our trip. This one asset pretty much made up for the negatives this place had. Charles, the driver of one of the shuttles was the friendliest person ever. Words cannot describe how great he was. It was free to travel pretty much anywhere within a 10 minute ride from the property, you just needed to tip if you felt like it. This allowed us to leave our car in the garage (parking was $8/night), and just call them when we needed a pickup. Excellent service.

There were some pretty glaring exceptions to the seemingly excellent service. Although most of the front desk staff are friendly and helpful, they NEVER answered the phones in a timely manner. Every time I had some need (housekeeping, concierge, etc.) I went down to the desk where there were never more than 2 people at the desk. This just doesn't work on a busy warm weekend. Management needed more people to answer the Guest Services line. I never got through on any phone call I made to the desk, and at times it was pretty irritating.

The tennis courts were pretty nice, although at the end of the trip, they tried to charge us $20/hr for use of them. Does your room rate include anything? Golf was okay, the management was pretty rude to me and told us on multiple occasions that I was moving too slowly. It was definitely not true, and if we were going slow, we let the people behind us play through. We were discriminated against because we were the youngest folks out on the course, no doubt about it. This was actually a theme of our trip, until I showed them my Gold VIP card and then most of the staff got friendlier pretty quickly.

The worst of all came when we were served RAW CHICKEN at the pool bar. It wasn't pink, it was RAW. The bartender, Lana, was excellent in dealing with us. She apologized, comped the meal, and saved a piece to show her boss. She told us we deserved more than a free meal, but that was all she could offer. Her boss, on the other hand, Chris, was not as friendly. He told me there was nothing else he was going to do about it. I then talked to Michelle, the manager at the front desk, and she told me that I needed a hospital report about my friend being sick in order to get compensation. Unacceptable. This is a Hilton, and I am a Gold member, they could have done more than that, easily. I spent almost $1,000 in a few days, they could have thrown us a free meal or some drinks, but they didn't even try, what poor service from management. Overall, I would say this place excels at ground level service. The bellmen, front desk agents, bartenders, shuttle drivers, etc. are excellent. The management had worse service than the front line, and that was upsetting.

The place was great. The amenities are pretty standard. The facilities were well kept and exceeded my expectations. The condo we had pretty much made up for the sub-par service we received on occasion.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends