“Less than we have come to expect from Hilton in the past.....disappointment” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royale Palms Condominiums by Hilton

and 1 more site!
Royale Palms Condominiums by Hilton
Ranked #14 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Berwick PA
“Less than we have come to expect from Hilton in the past.....disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

As a Hilton Honors member....we have come to expect excellent rooms and treatment because that is what Hilton has always given us. We have always been thrilled with Hilton and always have wonderful stays..til now. I hate complaining but feel as though it is necessary. I plan on sending an email to Hilton MB with the same lists of PROS and CONS. I feel the Hilton Company cares and knows enough to take an honest customer's opinion of their resort. As of now, we would not return. Our past stays in the Marriott Resort were consideraby better.
PROS:
Restaurant staff: very sweet, helpful, the hostess remembered our daughter's name all week.....even having hundreds of other guests.
Breakfast buffet: Came with advance purchase rate....great value....great selection and convenient
Bed: Very comfortable
Resort itself: Lots to do, wonderful that they allow you to go to other Hilton properties such as Embassy, Kingston, etc.... We went to the waterpark, health club, and other pools. This was wonderful. They also offered shuttle services.
Valet and Bellmen: Most were courteous and helpful: see CONS for comment
Front desk: 2nd shift: PHENOMENAL..see cons for 1st shift
View: For ocean view, the balcony was great. We had a very nice view.
CONS:
1st shift front desk: I have never felt like such a bother to someone in my life. We had added an extra night because weather was so nice. I wanted to find out if I had to change rooms, credit cards, etc. Both staff at the HHonors member desk seemed irritated by my presence. The younger woman gave me total attitude and even made a loud sigh when I asked a simple question about my credit card on file. Then when I asked another question..all she did was repeat information louder and with rudeness...even though it didn't answer my question. The other woman moved on to another customer even though I hadn't even left! I wanted to say something before I left to a manager about this but had no time to wait. I ask to see a manager and was told it would be awhile,
Bellman on last day: We had loaded our SUV up and I had the cart to return (which was impossible to get, they don't have enough), the bellman never offered to take it and when I asked where they went as I had gotten it from another customer, he said rudely "read the big letters printed on the front of the cart" WOW!!! I was shocked!!!!!! I was actually really hurt...not a nice way to end vacation.
Valet: Great til last day, waited 30 minutes for car but understandably busy time...people checking out.
Room: Air conditioner stopped working two days in a row. Engineer came and fixed it. He was nice and helpful but indicated "we should stop messing with it". We weren't even in the room and came back to 80 degrees.
Housekeeping: We came back after being gone from 11 am to 9 pm and our room was not cleaned. I called the front desk, no apology, they sent someone who came at 10pm. We had went to the beach to waste time, exhausted. FINALLY got in room at 11pm. No apologies were made. We would have been happy with that.

Overall, disappointment in service was our biggest complaint. The resort itself is a little dated but overall very nice.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager15, Manager at Royale Palms Condominiums by Hilton, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
As the Director of Operations, I thank you for your honest response with regard to your stay in August 2011. I am sorry for inconveniences you experienced with your room, and appreciate the compliments about our staff and breakfast. Please contact me at 843-692-3116, so that I may address your concerns, as I would like to have you back to better serve you with your next stay.
Sincerely, Randy DeVaux

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Southern US
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo when we stayed here during a vacation to visit family members in Myrtle Beach. The condo was spacious, well maintained and very clean. We had daily housekeeping and they did a good job considering the amount of sand and dirt my kids tracked in from the beach. The kitchen had modern appliances, granite counter tops, and an adequate amount of utensils, dishes, and cups. The furniture was a little chipped and worn, but otherwise fine. The towels were threadbare and only 2 per bathroom. The guest comment book in the condo had complaints dating back 2 years that there weren't enough towels, so if they haven't included more towels by now, I don't suppose they ever will.

The service at the this condo complex and the adjoining embassy suites & hilton was top notch. The staff did a great job considering most places we went to were understaffed. At the water park, there was often nobody at the towel booth or at the booth that verifies guests can use the water park, which we waited in long lines until someone showed up. The water park was crowded- not a single chair available when we arrived 1/2 hour after it opened. Yet, I saw only one server making rounds for food and drinks. I don't blame the staff at all, hotel management should know better to hire more seasonal employees during high season.

Since we were visiting family, we didn't eat much around Royal Palms area. The only lunch options we saw were hot dogs & hamburgers at the grill next the water park, which was overpriced and average street vendor food. My kids really liked the water park, which is part of the embassy suites but certain royal palms guests can use it, and we spent most of our time there instead of the beach. The waves were too rough for little kids and royal palms doesn't provide beach chairs. You have to rent a chair and umbrella- most of which were sold out by the time we arrived mid-morning. The pools at the royal palms and water park were always crowded. I would see people lined up before the opening time with stacks of towels to reserve chairs for their friends and family. Anyone arriving 20-30 minutes after opening time, like we did once, didn't stand a chance of getting a chair. I was astonished the water park had 3 umbrellas for the hundreds of people there. I know it's summer and we're there to get some sun, but to have no shade whatsoever for several hours was uncomfortable.

We paid prices that are comparable to higher end luxury resorts, but didn't get that high end feeling from this resort. It felt more like a basic do-it-yourself resort that you have to pay extra for many things- the beach chairs, wi-fi, parking. There was limited room service, no valet or bell service that I saw. Along with most of the other guests, we had to get luggage carts to take our bags upstairs after self-parking in the garage. That would have been fine with me if we hadn't paid so much. I think Myrtle Beach in general isn't known to have high end resorts. This is probably one of the better ones. Other family members stayed at other condo complexes nearby which were very run down and old. Because of the crowds, we won' t return to Myrtle Beach during high season. If I had to return another time of the year, I would probably stay here if we could get a better rate.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank krmik
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed in a three bedroom oceanview condo for the week. The location was perfect and the rooms were clean and spacious. It was our first trip to Myrtle Beach and although the drive was long, we would do it again and come right back to the Royale Palms! Great vacation!

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager15, General Manager at Royale Palms Condominiums by Hilton, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Thank you for your business and your positive comments regarding your stay in August 2011. We will share your excitement with our entire staff. We look forward to your return to Royale Palms and we await the opportunity to serve you once again.
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

Just returned from our Myrtle Beach vacation - oh how I hate to leave :-(
This was our 9th trip to Myrtle Beach and our 3rd stay at The Royal Palms condominiums. We book through VRBO.com so we're renting directly from the owner which is much less expensive than booking through Hilton. (FYI: Hilton does have some listings on VRBO as well...so be careful...they'll cost you much more $$$)

The condo was clean, big, beautifully decorated and the bed (king) was very comfortable. It really does feel like a home away from home. We rented a 2BR/2 BA condo with an ocean view. The very large patio - with 2 patio sets - allows for sitting out in the morning & evening to enjoy watching the ocean and feeling the beach breeze. There is a laundry room IN THE CONDO with extra large washer & dryer. This is one of the reasons I love staying here...we could wash our beach towels every day so they stayed fresh. I was even able to wash our queen sized beach blanket after it was hit by an over-achieving wave! Another benefit...my family came home with clean laundry so all we had to do when we got home was unpack.
What can I say about the SC beach? It is beautiful. The water is clean & warm, not too rough the sand is soft & white. (I will say that I am always amazed how people sit right on top of you at the beach - Don't we all like to have a little space between our chairs and blankets??? PROPER BEACH BOUNDRIES, PEOPLE) I believe Myrtle Beach has passed an ordinace that you can't have beach umbrellas or those obnoxious tents set up in front of the line of rental chairs/umbrellas (this makes it easier for the lifeguards to SEE what's going on in the ocean). It also enhanced the view from the rental chairs (2 chairs/1 umbrella for $120 for a week - great investment).
The location of the Royal Palms is perfect. Very close to restaurant row, Barefoot Landing, Broadway at the Beach and Tanger Outlets plus there's a Krogers nearby.
We really love it here and will return again & again.

2 Thank Irishys
WALKERTOWN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Very nice well appointed oceanfront condo. Nice pool area and pool bar with good service. Luggage carts hard to come by, we couldn't find one coming or going. Had a few minor issues that were taken care of right away. The worst thing was the WiFi for a "nominal fee" (59.99 for the week!!!) It was slower than dial up at times and should be free like it is every where else. That was my biggest complaint.

Room Tip: make a floor request when you book.
1 Thank phlatulator
On behalf of the staff here at Hilton Myrtle Beach Resort, we appreciate your great response. I am very proud that our staff was able to take care of the minor issues you encountered during your stay, and we will try to have more carts available for our guests in the future. We look forward to serving you on your next visit to Myrtle Beach.
Dyer, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed at the Royal Palms for the 2nd time and we loved it again! We always look forward to the awesome breakfast buffet at the hotel; the food and service is amazing! Lunch by the pool was delicious as well and nice selection of specialty drinks, we especially love the Dirty Bananas.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DeeDee37072
Thank you for taking the time to send us your positive response regarding your return to Royale Palms in August 2011. We appreciate your business and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again with your next visit to Myrtle Beach.
CAROLINAPANTHERFAN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

We have stayed at the Royale Palms almost every year since it opened and sometimes multiple times each year (each time giving the resort 5 stars) but this was, by far, our worst experience. In fact, I was so upset when we left, we had decided to finally give up staying at the Hilton/Royale Palms for the North Beach Resort. I have had time to “calm down” and I’m sure we will be back because of all the times we have stayed here, this is the only time we have had a bad experience.

Check-in was a breeze and although we had requested specific view, floors, etc., we were originally booked in the exact opposite of what we had requested. Joyce at check-in was wonderful and thankfully, booked us in a room as we had requested.

However, once in the room, I was amazed at the difference in what we had experienced previously. The hem was out of the curtains and as dirty as they were, had apparently been out for quite some time. There was one small saucer, possibly a couple of glasses, one coffee cup and one spoon. I realize these condos are privately owned, but that was ridiculous! As soon as we unpacked, we realized the 2 towels in the room were not enough and called for extras. After 4-5 hours with no extra towels, we called the front desk and they were finally delivered. Little did we know, this would occur every day! Finally the next to the last day we were there, I complained to the manager and was told this was not the first complaint he had received similar to ours that week. The next day after a full day on the beach, we returned to our room at 4:30 p.m. and it had not been cleaned at all...unmade bed, dirty towels, no paper goods, etc.! We had to consistently call for toilet paper and tissues - again, with very little results. Also the first day we checked in, we called about the extremely slow drain in the bathroom sink. During the week we called a total of 4 times and the drain was never repaired. There was dirt very thick on all the baseboards and the corners of the bathroom floor and the walls looked as if it had been years since they had been cleaned.

As far as we have found, there is only 1 ice machine for over 20 floors of condominiums and it was usually empty. An assistant manager at the Hilton told us this was a common complaint and to use the ones in the Hilton because there were several in the hotel.

We agree with the previous review about the fantastic staff at the pool bar, Wet Willie’s. Lana has been there for years and is marvelous. She always remembers your name and is very pleasant - even in close to 100 degree weather!

We are so thankful this was not our first visit to the Royale Palms because if it had been, we would not be returning. But, since we know this was out of the ordinary and this resort is capable of a much better experience, we will return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CAROLINAPANTHERFAN
As the Hotel Manager, I thank you for your return business and honest response with regard to your stay in July 2011. I am sorry for inconveniences you experienced with your room, our housekeeping and maintenance departments and their lack of service. I also appreciate the compliments about Joyce and Lana, as well as Wet Whistle. Please contact me at Eugene.silvestri@hilton.com or 843-692-3101, so that I may address your recent experience, as I would like to have you back to better serve you with your next stay.