“Better than some of the negative reviews; it's all perspective”

Bay View on the Boardwalk
Ranked #37 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Kannapolis, NC
“Better than some of the negative reviews; it's all perspective”
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I will attempt to write an objective rather than emotional review of our experiences with the Bay View Resort. In trying to do so, I also realize that we stayed the week the huge summer crowds are thinning out.

From the outside, the hotel is rather inviting. We arrived at approximately 6:00 p.m. on a Sunday evening. The load/unload area is way too small for a hotel of this size, especially for a clientele who are mainly driving and not flying. Simply stated, we will generally have more luggage. There were six cars in the load/unload area when we arrived, and there were cars waiting on Ocean Boulevard to pull in. Some guests were impatient and so eager to get into the area that they pulled in any way possible, blocking in cars, making a bad situation even worse.

The check in went rather smoothly, and we were in our room on the 8th floor with our luggage within 20 minutes of arrival. The room was about what I had expected in size and appearance. It was a one-bedroom condo, so I wasn't expecting something too large. The kitchen was beautifully furnished and well laid out.

As for temperature, the thermostat was set on 68 when we arrived, which made the room very cold to us. We usually kept it set on 78 during the day because we were rarely in the room during the day and because it kept us plenty cool. Because we had a street view, we received the late afternoon sun, but we were not uncomfortable at all. At night was a little different. It was a little difficult to adjust the temperature for sleeping. It was either too warm or too cold. The vent was just above the bed, so with the air on, it was too cold. To leave the temperature set at 78 for sleeping was too warm.

I thought our queen-sized bed was very comfortable; my husband did not think it comfortable at all. It's one of those personal-opinion things. We both agreed the pillows were the worst things we had ever slept on. I doubled my pillow over and still felt like I was sleeping flat without one. Our teenage daughter slept on the sleeper sofa. The mattress was rather thin, and we could feel every spring in the bed. By her second night, she was beginning to get used to it.

We knew there was only an indoor pool, and we were fine with that. I will say that I was surprised to see that the pool was so small. There is no lifeguard on duty, but there was a staff member available during the day who kept watch, making sure everyone had their wristbands and stopping needless horseplay in the lazy river. Our entire family appreciated this.

We like the security measures for the hotel. You have to have your magnetic key to enter the parking deck, either by foot or by car. You have to have a key to enter the hotel, and you have to have a key to enter your room. That is three separate occasions, not five, to get to your room. From inside the hotel you do need your magnetic key to access the pool area; however, the pool can be accessed from the beach without a magnetic key. Just make sure you have your wristband on you to show you have authorization to be in the pool area.

Because we were there at a less busy time, accessing the parking deck by crossing Ocean Boulevard was not a problem for us. The resort does, however, offer a shuttle service between the hotel and the parking deck. We saw it a few times but chose not to use it.

Our maid was very pleasant. She gave us some advice about shell hunting one morning and shared some general small talk with us. She told us how everything had been so busy for four months that she had not had time to talk with guests, which is something she truly enjoys. The staff member who worked around the pool was also very friendly and chatted with us several times throughout our stay. Even though check-in was somewhat busy, the front desk staff did their best to make us feel very welcome.

We will definitely be back for another stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank homeschoolmom43

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 24, 2010

The Bayview....lets see where do I began.....its could go something like the Bayview Resort oh how I hate thee let me count the ways....
1. No outdoor pool....ok if u looked on the webpage prior to coming and you knew it was this way, that might not be so bad, but when you find out after the fact thats pretty harsh.
2. We stayed on the 10th floor and the elevators were so slow...a few times I can bet I spent 30 minutes just standing there watching it slowly come to my floor.
3. The room was no bigger than a walk-in closet.. thank goodness it was just my husband and I and none of the children cause we would of really been cramped.
4. Oh my; you think new hotel...nice new comfy beds....NOT...these beds were so terrible....I imagine they savaged them out of another hotel that had been tore down..cause they were so terrible, my husband and I both got hardly any rest at all and when we were able to look past the slabs we were laying on and did sleep for an hour or so we woke up we sore backs..... honestly they were that bad...lol
5.Room service never got to our room until about 2:00pm or after...except on the day we were checking out....the maid comes busting thru the door at about 9:00am and my husband was on the toliet and just luckily I was there to cut her off before she came barging in....and I was actually heading downstairs to try and find a cart...I am so glad I not left yet. As far as them being friendly ..well they weren't unfriendly but they didnt really make you feel welcomed, just kinda clean the room and poof gone....no have a nice day or any kind of small talk....but I guess that is not in their job tilte.
6.The air is set to where you can not turn it down past 69 which is something I found unusal for a hotel to do....but that night be the new thing these days in new hotels...but it was not as cool as I liked it.
7. It is maximun security and not that there's anything wrong with that...but you have to use your room key at least 5 times from the parking garage too your room...which is something else that might just be standard in the newer hotels...but what's funny if you don't have your key available and your standing there trying to open the door another house guest opens it for you...lol and you also have to have your key to get into the pool area. I just thought it was a bit much you almost need to wear your key around your neck so that it will be handy.
8. Something that the hotel probably could not avoid was at about 4:00am on my 3rd night there I am awaken by someone in the hall outside my room yelling and banging on their door...I do think that there was a coule rooms of kids in one of the rooms and they were drinking all day.
9. The internet service..well you have to make a call to tech support and stay on the phone with them for about 15-20 min. while they give you and IP ADDRESS to put into your computer and then it was so slow...forget about it!!! Then when you get home you have to call tech support again and let them lead you thru steps to undo what they had you do....so beware of that!
well I am sure that if I wanted to I could go on...but I am going to end it there....I will say beware the bigger and newer the hotel...it use to be the bigger and newer the room...well in this case they bigger the hotel the smaller the room.

2 Thank Kimnnc
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 24, 2010

There was no outside pool and the facilities inside(pool and a lazy river) were too small for such a big hotel.
The elevator was too slow and I could spend up to 15-20 min just for waiting The parking lot was one block away. My card was demagnetized several times and I had to get back to the front desk and changed it. Too much hassle.
As I mentioned before, the hotel was big and a crowd was diverse. We had a fire drill at 12:15 a.m.
After staying several days, we have moved to a different hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Petersburg, Virginia
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I was so excited about this staying at this hotel.. until I arrived. The separate parking garage an entire block away is too much with children (ages 3 & 4). No one from the hotel even bothers to help you with traffic or bags once you've unloaded the first time. We were staying for a week so we ran to the grocery store to pick up some things. It was raining when we returned and fighting for a spot just to off-load in the small looped drive-way in front of the hotel was nearly impossible. Did anyone bother to help?? No. Then, we had requested some extra blankets for the kid's beds, which took three separate requests to the front desk and an entire day. We got completely skipped on housekeeping one day and they came by around 5 pm asking if we'd like our trash dumped or if it could wait. Are they serious??? The door props in our two bedroom condo (204 A&B) didn't work and we had to prop the doors open with magazines because maintenance never got back to us about that. The silverware and bowls were dirty and the bed's were hard enough to imagine a cement slab would feel better.. And don't even get me started on the pool area. The kids wanted to swim every day we were there but there is NO pool attendant or hotel employee at all that monitors the pools, so no-class trash just run wild in the area with complete disregard to the other guests and the pool rules. For example, the lazy river floats are supposed to be for the lazy river ONLY. It was notorious for a certain set of visitors to have the floats in every other pool at the hotel. Now honestly, this wouldn't have bothered me so bad if the floats would have been used appropriately. But when people are throwing floats at each other, splashing wildly, running and jumping in the 4 ft pool with the floats on, it gets to be obnoxious. Unmonitored teenagers would completely take over the lazy river, running and jumping in it, refusing to float around and would instead fight the current to stay in one place which wouldn't allow other small kids to use the pool. The small one foot kiddie pool became a place for everyone to rinse the sand off of their feet from the beach and no one from the hotel ever decided to do anything about it. I really believe this hotel would have been better if they would've acted like they cared about ALL of their guests instead of letting the teens and trash have the run of the place. Oh and forget the elevators. Thank God we were on the 2nd floor because otherwise, our entire 6 days would have been spent waiting on an elevator. Would I ever come back? Not in a million years.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelBug609
Lawndale, North Carolina
Reviewed August 19, 2010

This hotel did not live up to what we were expecting. The fitness center was great, but no outdoor pool!!!! The elevators were slow and annoying and parking was a block away. At night the area/hotel did not feel safe.

nega
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Very clean rooms ... great location ... friendly and very helpful staff. Will definitely stay here again. Give it a try yourself.

Forget the waits for the elevators ... how many people can you put in 3 elevators, anyway. After you get your belongings in your room, take the stairs and enJOY your walk & climb. You will definitely get healthier

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Woodstock, Virginia
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Despite all the bad reviews we decided to take a chance and stay here anyway. We are happy that we did. We had the one bedroom oceanfront suite(room 708A) and was very surprised with the room. It was very large and very clean, the kitchen beautiful and a great view of the ocean! The staff were all nice and friendly. Check in time went very smooth with people outside helping everyone so that was a plus. The elevators werent as bad as some stated they were. Sure, they were a little slow at times but it wasnt a big deal to us. The pool was indoors but it states that on their website so you do know that ahead of time. ( no big deal to us)..And yes, the parking is across the street in a secure garage and that wasnt a problem. Very short walk back to the hotel with nothing at all to worry about.
Overall this is a great place to stay! We usually stayed a little further north but now the Bayview will be the place for us. Cant wait to get back there!