I will attempt to write an objective rather than emotional review of our experiences with the Bay View Resort. In trying to do so, I also realize that we stayed the week the huge summer crowds are thinning out.
From the outside, the hotel is rather inviting. We arrived at approximately 6:00 p.m. on a Sunday evening. The load/unload area is way too small for a hotel of this size, especially for a clientele who are mainly driving and not flying. Simply stated, we will generally have more luggage. There were six cars in the load/unload area when we arrived, and there were cars waiting on Ocean Boulevard to pull in. Some guests were impatient and so eager to get into the area that they pulled in any way possible, blocking in cars, making a bad situation even worse.
The check in went rather smoothly, and we were in our room on the 8th floor with our luggage within 20 minutes of arrival. The room was about what I had expected in size and appearance. It was a one-bedroom condo, so I wasn't expecting something too large. The kitchen was beautifully furnished and well laid out.
As for temperature, the thermostat was set on 68 when we arrived, which made the room very cold to us. We usually kept it set on 78 during the day because we were rarely in the room during the day and because it kept us plenty cool. Because we had a street view, we received the late afternoon sun, but we were not uncomfortable at all. At night was a little different. It was a little difficult to adjust the temperature for sleeping. It was either too warm or too cold. The vent was just above the bed, so with the air on, it was too cold. To leave the temperature set at 78 for sleeping was too warm.
I thought our queen-sized bed was very comfortable; my husband did not think it comfortable at all. It's one of those personal-opinion things. We both agreed the pillows were the worst things we had ever slept on. I doubled my pillow over and still felt like I was sleeping flat without one. Our teenage daughter slept on the sleeper sofa. The mattress was rather thin, and we could feel every spring in the bed. By her second night, she was beginning to get used to it.
We knew there was only an indoor pool, and we were fine with that. I will say that I was surprised to see that the pool was so small. There is no lifeguard on duty, but there was a staff member available during the day who kept watch, making sure everyone had their wristbands and stopping needless horseplay in the lazy river. Our entire family appreciated this.
We like the security measures for the hotel. You have to have your magnetic key to enter the parking deck, either by foot or by car. You have to have a key to enter the hotel, and you have to have a key to enter your room. That is three separate occasions, not five, to get to your room. From inside the hotel you do need your magnetic key to access the pool area; however, the pool can be accessed from the beach without a magnetic key. Just make sure you have your wristband on you to show you have authorization to be in the pool area.
Because we were there at a less busy time, accessing the parking deck by crossing Ocean Boulevard was not a problem for us. The resort does, however, offer a shuttle service between the hotel and the parking deck. We saw it a few times but chose not to use it.
Our maid was very pleasant. She gave us some advice about shell hunting one morning and shared some general small talk with us. She told us how everything had been so busy for four months that she had not had time to talk with guests, which is something she truly enjoys. The staff member who worked around the pool was also very friendly and chatted with us several times throughout our stay. Even though check-in was somewhat busy, the front desk staff did their best to make us feel very welcome.
We will definitely be back for another stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The smoke-free Bay View Resort is located on the NEW oceanfront boardwalk promenade. Bay View features an array of water amenities from an indoor lazy river, pool, spa tub to a children's pool as well as an oceanfront splashdeck. Guests love starting their day with fresh brewed coffee and pastries from the on-site Starbucks. Guests take advantage of the preferred pricing offered by area attractions and golf courses. Accommodations - Select from a variety of 1, 2 or 3 bedroom condos featuring large, private balconies with either sunrise or sunset views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Expedia, Otel, Hotwire, Travelocity and getaroom.com so you can book your Bay View on the Boardwalk reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bay View On The Boardwalk Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Bay View Myrtle Beach
- Bay View Hotel
- Bayview Resort Myrtle Beach Sc