“Good Overall Experience”

Bay View on the Boardwalk
Ranked #39 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We stayed at the Bay View from June 5th through June 10th. The hotel room was very clean and well maintained. The beds were below average for a hotel in this price range IMHO. I travel a decent amount on business and the Hampton Inn has better beds. The pool area was too small. If more than a few people are in the pool at a time, then it becomes impossible to actually swim! There is a nice outside sprinkler setup for the small kids that shoots water in every possible direction and pattern so that was nice. We actually spent almost as much time in that area as we did the pool. There is a HUGE outside area that a pool should be, but instead its just grass with the perimiter lined with lawn chairs. Please ease our suffering and build a large pool there. The facility was very secure, including the parking deck, and you need a key to get just about anywhere. Crossing the street to get to the parking deck was only a minor hassle during the busiest times. It was worth the price knowin that my car was in a secure facility. There are a number of very old hotels surrounding the Bay view, and the police were at some of them on a couple of nights tending to disturbances. This hotel is too nice to be in what I consider a "seedy" part of town. Its very close to most of the major attractions and only 5 blocks from the strip. Staff was friendly and we had no problems during our stay.

Its too pricey for us and we will probably not stay there again in the near future. I have been going to myrtle beach for 27 years and there are better bang for the buck hotels down there.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed May 31, 2008

Several small problems that I did not like about bayview. For one, the staff was extremely rude on several occasions!!! I accidentally took a wrong turn into the parking garage where crotch-rockets were only to be parked. I assume he was a garage attendant, came to my car and yelled, " didnt you read the sign down there? Your not suppose to park here!" I apologized, but he was still rude. It was a simple mistake. Also, I went to the pool and forgot my room key, so I went to the front desk to ask if they would call my room to see if my wife would open our door. Where we were located at, you had to go out your door room and then out another door to get to the main hallway, so it would have been difficult for me to just knock on the door to get my wifes attention. The guy began to laugh, in a non-joking way and called my room and said( could you please open the common door outside of your room, there seems to be someone lost down here in your party) and then he snickered in a cocky manner) I will never stay there again and we visit Myrtle Beach quite a bit! Best I ever stayed at was Patricia Grand, but way down the street away from boardwalk and activities. I recommend to not stay at Bayview!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank elmerstudd
BayViewResortGM, General Manager at Bay View on the Boardwalk, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2008

Please accept our sincere apology. While we do train our staff in this important area, sometimes a staff member may say something incorrectly or with the wrong tone. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Reviewed May 18, 2008

Bayview resort was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful at the front desk. Checkout and checkin was fast and easy. The location is great and great view in oceanfront room. Value was great because i got a great price on hotels.com but when i checked how much it was to book straight through the hotel is was overpriced for the room. It was a nice clean room but very small for the price the hotel was trying to charge. The only complaint was there was sand in the sheets of the bed and we never went to the beach. Other than that it was a great stay and I would definitly stay there again and would recommend it to a friend. The next time I go to myrtle beach the bayview resort will be the first place I look into as long as i can get a good price through hotels.com but i wouldnt pay the price to book through the hotel. The hotel was trying to charge almost $75 more dollars a night for the same hotel room i booked through hotels.com

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2008

This is the greatest place to stay me an my husband stay here when we got married on the beach an loved it. The rooms are very clean an the people working there are the greatest. To the people who wrote bad reviews dont listen to them this is the best resort i have ever stayed in an will always come back here. There isnt a outdoor pool but who needs it you have a whole ocean to swim in. I would tell anyone to go here dont go anywhere else.. And this resort is not on the bad side of town it is in walking distance of everything you need..

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2008

I visited Myrtle Beach for the weekend, and I chose to stay at Bay view resort. I loved it, very secure, my god without a key you couldn't get in the place. The parking deck is across the street, that was my only downfall. It was secure as well you needed your key for that as well. The rooms were very spacious, it was three of us in a two bedroom and it was more than enough room. I tell you, it was a great choice.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2008

Excellent Beach front hotel. Love the Starbucks downstairs. Close to the Rock n roll theme park. Would definately stay again.

Reviewed April 29, 2008

The hotel was nice enough but on our second night after coming back late from the birthday party which was our reason for coming to Myrtle, the steroid eating security guard broke into our room and started screaming at the top of his lungs for everyone in our room to "pack your (----) and get out" because he was apparently throwing us out for a comment one of us said to him on our way up to the room as we got on the elevator. When I tried to settle him down and calm his very unnerving mannerism by asking him go with me to the front desk so that we could talk this over with management, he began to threaten me and everyone in the room with comments like "I will break you in half," and "I am going to smash your face in if you don't get the hell out of this hotel!!" Meanwhile, my girlfriend starts crying because she thinks this guy whose only ID is a shirt that says security and who weighs about 250lbs, is about to start hitting people. I eventually convince him to leave the room with me and go down stairs to the front desk. He continues his verbal assaults while leering over me for the entire ride down the elevator. I did have high expectations that management would be a little more on the level than this baboon that just broke into our privet room minutes ago, but they end up telling me that I had to bring everyone who is in my room downstairs to apologize to the security guard for making a rude comment to him or we were going to get kicked out. Then the security guard has the audacity to say that he wants everyone including the "two black guys" to come down. We had two three bedroom suits at this hotel so there are over ten of us, yet all he notices is that we have two black guys with us. So, now I start to realize where are this is coming from. A roid raging racist security guard who wants to make trouble for a couple of black guys in a large white group. SO now I have to go up to the rooms and try to convince everyone to come downstairs and apologize to this security guard who just threatened their lives. Needless to say they were not very enthusiastic about this. We are all post graduate adults aged 23-25 and yet we are being treated like children by having to apologize to this racist security guard. But I manage to convince 6 of them to come down just to show our sincerity in resolving this situation since I know hotels can kick you out for any reason they chose and we had already paid thousands for our rooms. But yet again this security guard showed his true motive for harassing us. We left over half of our party in the rooms, yet the when we got down stairs to "apologize" to this crazed security guard for a comment I didn't even hear anyone make, he looks right at the sole black guy who came down with me and says "wheres the other one, wheres your buddy?" My friend then obviously angry says in return, "the other one?" Lucky I head off the proceeding argument by offering the excuse that he had too much to drink and is sleeping it off in the room so we didn't bring him down. The guard didn't say anything about the six other people we left in the room, just the other black man. When I brought this up to management, their response was that the security guard was doing what he needed in order to break up a loud hotel party. But no such party occurred, we rented out a privet room at a local club for our birthday party. And were accosted by the security guard spewing death threats at the top of his lungs, 5 minutes after we stepped into our room, Any noise complaints would have been because of his yelling while I tried to calm him down. The man was clearly unhinged and all it took I guess is one guest to give him a smart aleck remark to send him over the edge. And the fact that his racist and unprofessional ways were backed up by the hotel leads me to say that I will never stay at another hotel owned by this chain and I implore all of you to do likewise.

• Stayed: April 2008
3  Thank Travel_Lots08
BayViewResortGM, General Manager at Bay View on the Boardwalk, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2008

I have spoken with the person who rented the condo involved with this matter and listened to what her thoughts were about what occurred.

While there does appear to have been a guest issue with only part of the group, I have conveyed to her that we would certainly not condone or accept any of the actions in question and that we are conducting a thorough interview process with any of our staff that may have been involved.

Bay View Resort has been and will continue to be a family destination with the goal of providing excellent guests services in a safe, friendly, and positive way.