“Overall good stay, with a few inconveniences”

Bay View on the Boardwalk
Ranked #37 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My family and I went on a vacation/babymoon and stayed in a two bedroom oceanfront condo (Condo F, Room 306) for four nights. The room was WONDERFUL - very spacious, clean, and had touches of home since it was apparently an owned timeshare. They provided a DVD player, DVDs, books, and there was also a guest book to sign and share your experiences. The balcony furniture was high quality instead of the plastic chairs that the regular rooms had. There was a washer and dryer, along with a full kitchen and dining area.

We did have issues at check-in however - we arrived at 3:00PM after an 8 hour drive and had to wait an unreasonable amount of time to be checked in. The front desk staff seemed to be more interested in their personal conversations, rather than taking care of the forming line. I later checked my mobile bank statement and saw where the desk had put an extra charge on my card and had to remove it. At 8 months pregnant, the last thing I wanted to do was stand with our two year old and wait for them to finish their conversations before checking us in.

We loved that Bay View had not only a regular swimming pool, but also a lazy river, a 1 foot deep mushroom pool and outside sprinkler for the kids. They have oversized chess sets and shuffle board (which was on our floor) to play in between trips to the beach and pool.

Before booking, know that their parking garage is a good distance away from the hotel. You have to cross the main road and walk through another motels parking area to get to the garage. The elevators are also VERY slow. As others have posted, it is a 5 to 10 minute wait to get an elevator to your floor. I would keep this in mind, especially for those who are disabled or have issues walking down flights of stairs.

Overall, our stay at Bay View was good, other than the few inconveniences.

PROS: Great location, clean room, kids pool activities, concierge (for discount tickets to attractions)

CONS: Parking garage distance, slow elevators, inattentive front desk staff

Room Tip: Book an oceanfront condo, it's money well spent! Stick to the lower floors to avoid long elevato...
1  Thank StaceyVG14
Aaron N, Manager at Bay View on the Boardwalk, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear StaceyVG14,
Thanks for staying at Bay View on the Boardwalk and leaving a review. We are pleased despite a few small issues you enjoyed your stay. We are always improving and looking for ways to provide a higher level of service to all guests. We look forward to having you stay agaan soon.

There are newer reviews for Bay View on the Boardwalk

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Great hotel with beyond friendly staff...only a short walk from the strip...a five minute drive to broadway on the beach...and take their word for it and dine at River City a few blocks up! Rainy day at the beach no problem..just rent a new release dvd or two or three for FREE to watch in your room....or go for a swim indoors..elevators are slow during busy months but hey your on vacation whats the rush!! =) They are my go to vacation destination since 09...thanks Bayview!!

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear ksandlin1986,
Thank you for staying at our resort and taking the time to leave a review. We are glad you encountered such a friendly staff and enjoyed our convenient location. Thank you for the 5 star review!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I have stayed at the Bayview resort four times in four consecutive years and I was greatly impressed.

Resort Background:

First I would like to point out that this like many of the accommodations in Myrtle Beach is not a Hotel in the true sense of the word. The rooms are condo units that are privately owned and are rented and managed like a hotel. They have most of the amenities of a hotel such as cleaning service. An arrangement like this has its advantages and disadvantages for the guest.

Advantages:

The rooms are usually very spacious when compared to normal hotels.
You can often find amenities like a full kitchen and a washer and dryer not normally found in chain hotels.
Also you can find them at very good rates compared to a chain hotel and for what you get it’s a really good deal most of the time.

Disadvantages:

There is a risk that you could end up at a place that is not well maintained or managed. (Bayview is not one of these)
With a chain there is very little risk because you know what you’re going to get if you stay at a Marriot for example because their reputation is based on consistency.
There is more research and there for time involved in looking at places such as Bayview because you want make sure that you get what you pay for unless you are like me and love research like this.
The long and short of it is that if you are willing to put in a little more effort you can really find a gem!
My first trip to Myrtle Beach I too stayed at a chain (Holiday inn Surfside) and I immediately fell in love with Myrtle Beach. The hotel was ok. You have stayed in one chain you have stayed in them all, again you know what you’re getting but also there is nothing unique about a chain. My second trip I wanted to be in Myrtle Beach. I started looking at the chains first and quickly found out that most of the chains do not have ocean front properties which are a must for me so I started looking elsewhere. I looked at the Bayview by accident. My friend had told me to look at the Bay Watch and by the time I got back home I had apparently misplaced the second word in my head. I did a search and then a long and exhaustive comparison (on Trip Advisor of course) followed. I settled on Bayview and gave it a shot and it was fantastic.
I stayed in the 1 bedroom ocean front condo.
Upon entering the room I was blown away by the full size and updated kitchen (that picture they show on the website of the kitchen is actually how it looks, very nice) and washer and dryer that was in the unit.

Pros:

The room was clean. Full kitchen. Washer and Dryer in unit. Spacious room. Great Ocean front balcony. Very nice staff. Starbucks inside the resort. Right on the boardwalk. A fifteen minute walk will get you to a lot of great attractions.

Cons:

The elevators are slow which I found to be typical of most hotels in Myrtle Beach (something I have learned to live with).
Check in and Checkout are not very pleasant which is also something I have found to be typical. Everyone checks in and out at the generally the same times so it is what it is (price of admission).
The parking garage is across the street which is not at all convenient but your get used to it and it is at least secured. You need your room key to enter the garage. By the way, separate parking garages that are not attached to the hotel are also typical of the area.
Pools are small and busy. I am at the beach to be at the beach though so was not bothered by this.

I will reiterate that if you are willing to take a chance then I think you will find as I did that the Bayview Resort is great. I understand that there are “cons” (there always are) but in the end the ROOM is what’s important and the rooms here are great!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear ranetides,
Thanks for staying at Bay View and taking the time to leave us a review. We are pleased to hear you have enjoyed our resort for the past 4 years and look forward to accomodating you again next year.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Fist off, I had a sister to back out of going at the last minute, but me and my other sister went and when we got to the desk and ask if we could get a smaller room since there was only 2 of us, she was so helpful with us, she couldn't give us another room because all rooms was booked up on Sat., so she reduced the price because of only 2 of us was checking in. She was so nice and worked with us on dividing up the money between me and my sister, which I got confused but she said she was there to help us!!! I love our condo!!! The room was perfectly clean and great!!! Location was awesome!!!! I found my new hotel to stay at Myrtle Beach every time I visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Aaron N, Manager at Bay View on the Boardwalk, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear JEANNIE B,
Thank you for choosing Bay View and taking the time to write a review. We are glad you loved the condo as well as our location. It is also pleasing to hear our front desk staff left such a wonderful impression on you. We look forward to having you back on future visits to Myrtle Beach.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

1. The end of May has two crazy weeks. First there is Biker Week and then there is Black Biker Week. We arrived at the end of the latter. It was pretty scary for us as over 500 000 people show up for this event. Those on bikes didn’t always obey driving rules and I heard that 538 got arrested for various things from drugs to dress. Everyone left on Memorial Day and things quieted right down.
2. Each suite in the Bayview is individually owned but I don’t know if the units differ in décor and furniture. The kitchen is stocked with dishes, pots and utensils but you have to take salt, pepper, coffee/tea, paper towels etc. There is a microwave, washer, dryer, dishwasher and a coffee maker but no kettle.
3. Our unit was great. We had two bedrooms (one opening to the balcony) and two bathrooms (only one had a hair dryer), a dining room, kitchen with breakfast bar and living room which had a pull out couch and which also opened to the balcony. There were three TVs. The balcony was approximately 27 by 71/2 feet and each floor of the hotel has one like that. The rest are smaller. The ocean view was splendid. The furniture was worn but it looked like they were in the process of replacing it… maybe for the summer season.
4. The grounds and shoreline were perfectly maintained. There was no debris as mentioned in another review.
5. There were rental chairs and umbrellas in front of the hotel on the beach. They are put out just before 8 am and brought in at 5 pm.
6. The elevators were slow and they could use more for a building that size. We often had to miss several rides after waiting because they were full when they arrived. Taking the stairs was a smelly experience. I think people used them as a toilet.
7. The lobby is small and not attractive at all and when we arrived the staff was stressed due to to the biker activity.
8. There is no outdoor pool and the small inside pool, lazy river and hot tubs appear gloomy.
9. On the fridge is a note that says that they empty garbage, make beds, vacuum and change towels every day but they were random about that. Sometimes garbage was gone, sometimes some beds were made, they never vacuumed and the vacuum in our unit was broken so we couldn’t do it… you just never knew what would be done. We called to get some things done but it took a long while to get to us and they said they were just so busy. The lady who came was very pleasant.
10. The parking lot is secured but it is across two streets past two scruffy hotels… although not that far.
I would stay again because of the size of unit, the balcony and the fabulous ocean view.

Room Tip: Face the ocean. If you face west, you will be looking at run down hotels. Center rooms facing the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Aaron N, Manager at Bay View on the Boardwalk, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear KBN_Guelph,
Thank you for choosing Bay View on the Boardwalk and taking the time to leave a review. We are glad you enjoyed the condo and a spectacular view of the Atlantic Ocean. We look forward to having you stay again soon!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed at Bayview in 2011 and were happy with our experience so we returned here for our recent vacation in May of 2013.......BIG MISTAKE.

Since the last time we stayed the hotel is in much worse shape. One of our two showers had a huge crack in the floor that apparently leaked into the condo below us. The hotel workers told us they would come up and fix it asap-but they never returned and never fixed it and we were not allowed to use the shower at all. 7 people trying to use one shower! They said they didn't have another room to move us to and didn't even apologize for the inconvenience.

We only got maid service 1 day out of an entire week and we had to call and demand they send someone up the day we did get it! When the housekeeper did come up she was very rude to us because it was time for her to clock out and her husband was waiting downstairs for her.....

It took us an hour to check in, get a bell cart and get an elevator. There were NO bell carts available at all when we checked in. Anytime we had to use the elevator there was at least a 10 minute wait for one to arrive at your floor.

They used to have an employee that would drive you over to the parking garage if you needed to go to your car which was helpful with little ones. No such service this time. Disappointing as we saw a drug deal right next to the Bayview parking garage.

I know the beach is public but it was completely disgusting-a maxi pad washed up on my daughter's leg! Not to mention broken glass and used condoms on the beach! I have stayed in a lot of places in MB and have never seen such a disgusting beachfront! The kids sprinkler area at Bayview was littered with cigarette butts, and various trash. I wouldn't let my son play there.

We reported all of these issues to the employee on duty at the front desk and was told they would "put it in their report". We were not offered any sort of apology at all.

We will NEVER stay there again.

3  Thank shellbell616
BayviewMgr, Manager at Bay View on the Boardwalk, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear shellbell616,
We are sorry to hear about the multiple incidents that occured during your trip. We would like the opportunity to speak with you in person regarding these matters. Please feel free to contact Tom at (843)282-1871.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Bayview is in a great location. The boardwalk is beautiful and it's a short walk to the beach. I love everything about this resort, except the housekeeping. Everyday when we return from the beach around 4:30 our room has not been cleaned. We have to call the front desk and they always say that they are running behind. Today they never showed up. This is a nice resort, but if you want to be pampered and get what you pay for, I recommend Anderson Ocean Club or Ocean's One.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank beachlover3234

Dear beachlover3234,
Thank you for staying at Bay View on the Boardwalk and leaving us a review. We are sorry to hear housekeeping was not up to par during your stay. We are always striving to provide the best service possible in every department. We hope you give us another shot to show you the true Bay View experience.