“OK, but probably would not go back”
Review of Riptide Beach Club

Riptide Beach Club
Ranked #106 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Minneapolis
“OK, but probably would not go back”
Reviewed March 22, 2009

My husband and our 18mo old son stayed here for a week vacation. It was OK, but not the greatest. Their ameneties were very limited. The "indoor pool" was outside and had a huge tent around it. We went in there to check it out and it was very humid, stuffy & dark. Never went swimming. I know they have done some updating, but I still was not impressed. For sleeping, it was fine - we did a lot of sightseeing, so we did not hang around there. I would not recommened it for anyone with children - there is nothing there to keep them occupied. The staff was very friendly. For a weeks stay, they did come and change the towels everyday, but never changed the bedding - I thought that was weird. I thought they'd at least do it once during the week. As many others indicated, the parking was very limited - first come, first serve basis. It was not that busy when we were there, so we didn't have a problem with that. One good thing is that they had a great spot on the beach. I really enjoyed the Myrtle Beach area and would definitely go back, but would research the resorts a little more.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Maryland
Reviewed October 7, 2008

In reading some of the reviews for the Riptide, I had low expectations when we arrived, but I was pleasantly surprised. Good location, extra parking for a trailer, 2 great pools, and ocean front. They are in the process of renovating the rooms, so the room that we had had new appliances, new furniture, etc. It is a timeshare that is owned by my financee. Daily room service for trash, fresh towels, and they cleaned in the middle of the week, changing all the linens. Management was very friendly and any and all problems were taken care of right away. Yes, the condo did need some painting, but the view of the ocean and cleaniness more than made up for that. Flat screen tv in the bedroom along with a large tv in the living room area. Was quite comfortable and very happy with our weeks stay.

3 Thank DingblondeMaryland
pittsburgh
Reviewed September 28, 2008

well my new father in law has a time share and has been staying here for years even thoriugh the management changes. I was really nervous after reading what you people wrote but now that i am here i am glad we did come. My father in law paid for it all for us, its right on the beach, has 2 pools. what more do you want. when you check in they give you a paper and it tells you all about the new improvements they have made and are still making. our unit is really nice. i was surprised. new carpet new apliances new couches and tvs the beds suck but its a honey moon :) the pools have new filters and were really clean. the one pool was heated and was like bath water wonderful. parking sucks but they have a lot accross the street. so it could be worse. and they have my fav wi fi :) only saw 2 roaches and they were out side :) so no complaints there either. lots to do around the area close.

• Liked — so close to everything and any thing lots to do and see
  • Disliked — towels are still a little rough they need new ones but its on thyeir list of changes
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank newlywedspgh
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed May 26, 2008

I exchanged my week's timeshare through RCI and did not see the reviews until later. I was fearful of what I would find and almost cancelled the week, but since it was just me & my boyfriend, we both decided if it was just horrible, we'd leave. I also packed a can of Lysol.

First, the best part of the Riptide was that it is right on the beach, and close to everything. We had bikes and we rode almost everywhere, even out to eat. I found the staff pleasant when checking in, but we did not require their assistance for anything further.

The parking is very limited; however it is not that bad to park in the parking deck across the street after unloading. Riptide gives you a pass to park free.

We were in a one bedroom apt. in the C units and faced the beach. The carpet was threadbare and dirty. It definitely needs replaced. The furnishings were outdated, but tolerable. Surprisingly, the bed was comfortable. The bathtub could use a large bottle of chlorox to get the water stains out, but the rest of it was clean. Towels were replaced everyday, but they are old and worn, but still served the purpose. Kitchen was small but refrigerator was clean. TV worked.

The pools looked OK to me, but I didn't get in them. The area was clean and there were plenty of nice pool chairs. Pool and beach towels were a little thin.

In looking at the place from the outside, you see a small cottage type dwelling, and a homey atmosphere. A fresh coat of paint in the units, and new carpet would be the first step in making the place more inviting. You could probably overlook the Goodwill furniture and sparse kitchen furnishings, if the units had the fresh clean smell of new paint and carpet.

I wouldn't recommend anyone staying here, unless they were on a very tight budget, and just wanted a few days beach time.

• Liked — Location on the beach and near restaurants
  • Disliked — Old and outdated with a musty smell. Not fresh and clean.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
TN
Reviewed March 8, 2008

This place is so outdated, dirty that I wanted to leave with my family the minute we walked into the "condo". This is nothing more than a small hotel that has put a "timeshare condo" name on the place. The furniture looks like it was bought at a goodwill store, carpet definitely needs replaced - not just cleaned BUT replacement. Bathroom was filthy. One of the pools was actually closed while there due to so many people having skin rash breakouts and eye infections from some type of bacteria in the pool.
The management of this place needs to tear down completely and rebuild new units that are modern, clean and up to standard to compete with other condos nearby. This place is so outdated, I'm suprised the health department don't condemn it due to filth.
Worst vacation experience our family has had, plus the employees and staff don't seem to care. Towels that are put in the bathroom is old and so rough it hurts to dry off with them. Sofa beds are so lumpy and uncomfortable, if the floor wasn't so dirty you'd be better off sleeping on the floor.

DON"T STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

happytikle
Reviewed March 7, 2008

We exchanged with RCI a 5 star condo for RipTide. Rip Tide (which RCI should have called “Rip Off”) was more like a 1 star ( and that was only because of the proximity to the ocean). If you know that, you probably won't be disappointed. We found the place to be run-down and filthy. Added to that, had very inadequate parking. We would not have stayed even one night but for the fact we had driven most of the day, arrived late in the evening and were quite tired. Once we saw the condition of the facility, we did not put any of our belongings away for fear of taking away roaches. In fact, we left our luggage on the dining room table and left the lights on all night. The carpeting was so stained and filthy, we left our shoes on until it was time to crawl into bed. Prior to getting into the bed, I actually checked the mattress for bedbugs! The kitchenette was old and well worn along with the Goodwill quality kitchen utensils and cook wear. The Riptide seems to have been converted from a 60's motel to a time share condo. When we complained, the staff at RipTide didn't seem too surprised and offered another room but said it was of poorer quality and thought we were not likely to find it acceptable and overlooked the parking lot. RCI could not help any more than to give us back our week and since we already had taken the time off work, decided not to return home. Instead, we contacted CondoLux in N. Myrtle Beach and found a penthouse ocean front condo for the remaining 6 days of our vacation. It was a top of the line condo on the ocean with a state of the art kitchen, top of the line furnishings, in an upscale facility with plenty of amenities.
Would we recommend RipTide? Well, it depends on what you want/need. You can judge from the above how we felt about it. My husband once spend a night in a motel in Biloxi, MS where he did not feel comfortable taking off his shoes to shower and wore his clothes to bed. In fact, the floor looked like it was dirt because the carpet was so filthy. My husband said the thought RipTide was a tiny step up from that.
Riptide would probably be fine for college students on a budget looking to be close to the action in Myrtle Beach, but for what we have come to expect from our precious time off, it was woefully inadequate.

• Liked — Ocean front.
  • Disliked — Condition: dirty, run-down, little parking.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank happytikle
FLORENCE
Reviewed January 10, 2008

This was the most run down place I have stayed while vactioning at the beach-The room were beyond nasty-The office staff were not helpful and very rude

• Liked — Maintance Were Very Helpful
  • Disliked — Mostly Everything
  • Stayed November 2007