“Fast Becoming My Favorite Place to Stay in "Gatlinburg by the Sea"”
Review of Riptide Beach Club

Riptide Beach Club
Ranked #91 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Yes, it's older. Yes, it's not a big high rise with a lazy river and water park, built in. But, I'm older, and that's not what I'm looking for.
I'm looking for a good location, place where I can park my car without worrying about dings (in garage across the street), comfortable and clean room. And, I happen to like the smaller, low rise places like Riptide.
The staff is excellent and friendly. They go out of their way to be accommodating.
I'm headed back around Labor Day, and I can't wait.
If I was taking my kids and grandkids to MB, I'd be looking elsewhere, but for me, this is just my style. Reminds me of some of my favorite places to stay in Gatlinburg. I've always referred to Myrtle Beach as "Gatlinburg by the Sea."

Room Tip: I love the oceanfront rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank frankhamil

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We came to the Riptide after two horrible experiences within 3 days...the management were very nice. We were in D28...its in the green and white building...after first glance it isn't all that...but the room was very clean! It is efficient for us adults but we had 4 children so it was tight but this was a last minute stay so we made it work....we will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Heather L
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

The layout of the one bedroom courtside unit I was in was - having exchanged in through RCI - was the first disappointment of my stay at this timeshare property. The bathroom was not adjacent to the bedroom, and the kitchen was small and awkward. The unit was also quite dark. The only window in the unit with a truly unobstructed exterior view was very dirty, which compounded the light problem.

The pool and spa area were dirty and unkempt all week, due to the returning timeshare owners/guests not apparently caring enough to pick up their empty beer cans and cigarette butts.

Parking was problematic as well - with most spaces being a block away.

I understand that rates at Riptide are quite reasonable, but am reminded that we generally get what we pay for.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Joe G
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I swapped a 2 bedroom Orlando timeshare out for a 1 bedroom at the riptide because it was the only resort open in Myrtle Beach. We made the best of it since we were on vacation, but this place could use some updating. We had several pieces of luggage since it was 4 girls and the elevator is a little awkward to say the least. You have to carry luggage up a small set of stairs to get to the elevator then when you get off you have to carry it up another short set of stairs. I'm not sure why this building was designed this way. On a good note, the front desk was very helpful with any request we had as far as needing a blender and iron. We had plenty of towels each day and we had hot water so that is a plus. The location is very easy to find, but the parking is not the greatest. If you want to park at the building you need to get there early ortherwise you will be parking in a parking garage down the street (free). They have 2 pools and one was heated so it was very nice on the cool days, but too warm when it warmed up. I would probably not swap my timeshare out here again, but if I was able to get a cheap extra vacation I may stay again. It is right on the beach so that is a plus.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cabo1Kentucky
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We have stayed at Riptide for the last 5 years. We will not go back. Our stay was so bad in 2010 they gave us a free week, so we stayd two weeks in 2011. After our week stay I went to speak with the property manager, Julie who I found in the office. I asked her to walk with me over to D building so I could show her the things that I found unacceptable. The list is as follows. Immediately on entering I noticed hundreds of dead bugs inside the light fixtures in the hallway. The laundry room IS DISGUSTING as well as the bathroom facilities near the sliding doors. The tile floors were spotted with the same substance all week. The carpets upstairs is dated and stained. The windows are filthy and covered with bugs. The units are xtremely dated. Our tile flooring in the kitchen was three different colors. If you left the patio door open, the ceiling tils would fall out. The jacuzzzi tub had no knob to turn it on or off. The water stood to your ankles when you showered. The tub had been PAINTED and the paint was peeling, hence the stoppd up drain. The BBQ grills mentioned in other reviews were filthy and only one side lit up. The outdoor jacuzzi was dirty and luke warm. When I spoke with Julie she assured me that the building is cleaned head to toe in March and by November, which is when we go, it;s not as clean. WOW. We go to Myrtle several times a year. My friend owns this unit and was having trouble paying the maintence fee, so we would pay it for her and go. Now, noone wants to go. The maintence fee has gone up very year for 5 years and now stands about $455. Only about $20 is allocated for housekeeping weekly per unit. The furniture hasn;t been updatd for years either, but there it is,,,summarized on my bill.... I checked other rooms that were larger, CLEANER, and in a better location that I can get weekly for about the same money. Try Dayton House or Best Western Carolinian instead.

Room Tip: Stay at a different place to get a good room. Riptide is substandard.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Stacey M
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have owned a unit here for many years. My mom and dad. Just recently my mother signed property over to me we call it the retirement home we love it at ripe tide. My daughter and her 6 friends stayed there last year and had a ball. That's all they talk about going back. Many of the owners are older couples very nice but in bed by 900 so the retirement home becomes a beach pool party and I mean lifeguards/neighbors young people they met. Hot tub/pool/drinks/music/ beer pong ect. No one is around they love it. We can't wait till sept. ready for more fun. Great people/clean/no frills just the simple life. Vacation.... Love it.....

Room Tip: B12/ middle building good
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tammy E
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed for a week at this property. I admit by first glance...and by the reviews below that i was a bit nervous about staying here. i booked m trip before Joann..see below...and then saw her review so yes, I was not excited about staying here. I will comment on her description though. 1) who cares if someone feeds a stray cat...i saw the cat. Looks healthy. Thank you for caring for a helpless animal! Oh, don't bring your dog to a place that doesn't allow pets. What do you think will happen? They will refuse to allow the dog on the property and expect you to kennel it, like you should have done in the first place. The couch - mine was clean and the mattress looked brand new. You are in a hotel, bring Lysol. I have stayed in plenty of condos being an RCI member and I can tell you, they don't all do towel service DAILY or sheet service weekly. In most condos, you are responsible for your sheets and towels for the week. Not here! They come by daily and replace towels without request, and bedding if you request. 2) stealing-if someone is stealing your things here, then they are stealing your things from any beach resort. If this place has a problem with the homeless stealing then so do every other beach resort down the main strip. If you leave your things unattended then what do you expect? After staying here I am not really sure where you would "leave" your things and have them stolen. If you are out on the beach and leave your things on your towel then that's the chance you take, its not the resort you are staying at because you walked a mile away from your things and they got stolen. I had a wonderful room just above the non-heated pool. I had a one bedroom, just fyi. EVERYTHING was clean, and I am a bit crazy about cleanness. I did bring Lysol and sprayed everything from the doorknob to the remotes. I also re-washed everything in the dishwasher that I planned on using for the week. No stains on either mattress and the room was CLEAN! The staff was wonderful and the beach towels were provided for you. One pool was heated and the other was not. You are less than 5 mins away from broadway at the beach. And another FYI....if you pick a room with "beach view" then expect a "beach view". No matter where you stay if you pay for a beach view then you might get 1 inch of beach view before the next hotel is in your way. If you want a "beach view" the spend the extra money and get "beach front". So if you get beach front you will see the beach straight on. Beautiful view. Oh, and although just an assumption from working in a place of business...if there is something that is against fire code....the laundry room per the review below...then the place would be shut down. Oh, and the fitness center I cannot comment on. With miles of beach in front of you, I don't know why you would work out in a fitness center anyway....and besides, you don't stay at a hotel based on the fitness center. At least I don't. So, save some money and stay here. It was clean and the location was great. I will be staying here again. Oh, lastly who expects a blender in their condo? Once again, RCI offers tons of condos and I have never had a blender. At least you can ask for one here!

Room Tip: Ask for a good room! Duh! Just above the non-heated pool.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family