“Courteous Staff, Excellent Rooms, and Okay Amenities for Family Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marina Inn at Grande Dunes

Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Ranked #3 of 218 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Seoul, South Korea
“Courteous Staff, Excellent Rooms, and Okay Amenities for Family Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Overall my family enjoyed our five-night stay at the Marina Inn. The two-bedroom villa we rented was quite spacious and comfortably furnished. I know some reviews refer to Marina Inn as luxurious, but that may be an overstatement as world-class luxury goes. Nonetheless, it's still a nice hotel. Activities for kids are rather limited though other than the swimming pool, which gets rather crowded and noisy, especially in the evening. In the main, we found the hotel staff to be very friendly and courteous. Housekeeping was generally responsive, but there are areas of improvement. For example, on the first day of our stay nobody showed up to clean the room and change linens/towels. Also be aware that the hotel is a driving distance from the beach, which works well if you're looking for an escape from the beach crowds. There are some nice dining options in and around the hotel, but be prepared to venture out by car for more variety.

Room Tip: Try avoiding rooms on the lower levels facing the swimming pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Mark B, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, August 7, 2015
Hi NezB,

Thanks for this great review. We apologize for responding sooner, for some reason your post was overlooked.

We're delighted your family had a positive experience with us, for the most part.

Thanks again for taking time to share your comments and photos.

Mark B.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
Amherst, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Tried to check in early and they weren't able to accommodation us. We understood and ate at their restaurant by the pool. Checked back an hour and a half later at the front desk, it still was not ready. We continued to their Anchor bar for drinks. Another hour and a half went by and we did not hear anything even though we were told that they would contact us and that our room would be on top priority. They used the word guaranteed check-in at 4pm. We understood what that meant and continued to wait patiently until that time. We went back to the desk at 4pm and they told us the room was still not ready. No sympathy for the fact that we had been waiting all day and just wanted to shower and change from a long day of traveling to get there. No apologizes, nothing. Spoke with a gentleman who goes there frequently and he said if the property wasn't as beautiful as it was and if the location wasn't convenient then he would never go there again considering they never have rooms ready at check-in time. Tried speaking with the manager about our dissatisfaction and he was a complete coward and did not take responsibility for the disorganization. Not even a peep of, I'm sorry. The property is a very nice one, even if the pool is very small. The staff seems under experienced in general and frazzled, but I blame management for that. I have never been more unhappy with a stay in my life and I don't consider myself very hard to please. I have stayed at many hotels of lower ratings and had better experiences just because the employees understood that hospitality meant taking care of the guests and making sure they are happy.

Room Tip: I always say the higher the better, nice view of the golf course and water. But for this hotel, any...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank ArdentJ
DavidinMB, General Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear ArdentJ: Thank you for taking the time to submit your review and for staying with us. I am so sorry that your room was not ready at 4pm. I can understand that you were very tired after a long drive to get here…I am very sorry you had to wait… and for your frustration. You mention that you tried to speak to the manager…I am being honest when I tell you that this is the first I have heard of this…however, we have a strong team, each of whom cares deeply about our guests…and you would be in good hands, no matter who you spoke to. It appears that this late check in sullied your entire trip…and I am truly sorry for that. I hope you will give us another try. We do have the best caring staff on the beach and would love to have you back. Sincerely, David Nelson, GM.
Freehold, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This is very simple. If you enjoy luxury, stay at the Marina Inn. Great amenities, great food and great golf at the Grande Dunes Resort, right on the Waterway. Ruth Chris is right next door with a great happy hour.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Anthony_Bot, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Jamie D, Thank you so much for the great comments regarding your recent stay! We truly appreciate your candid and to the point depiction of the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes being quite simply...luxury! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to let others in the TripAdvisor community know of your recent experience with us. We do hope to see you again soon!
Pilot Point, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Property is much in need of refurbishing. Maid service did not get it right one time - no towels; only one coffee cup; no fresh coffee packet in room, etc. Lobby Bar bartender was useless and rude - unwilling to serve us when we were 10' away on his patio and ordering my associate to re-cross a room to close the door the bartender was unwilling to go through. Just plain lazy. One of the pool bar tenders (male) was also rude and provided poor service; the lady the next day was fine.

Room Tip: Wi-fi was glacially slow. Rooms on waterway seemed to be quieter than those on pool side. I would no...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Moose1195
Dear Moose1195, We appreciate you providing us with feedback regarding your experience while a guest of ours here at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes. I must say this is definitely not the experience we hope for or want for any of our guests. Your feedback regarding the maid service you received as well as the service you received in our lobby bar, Reflections have been duly noted and shared with both our Director of Housekeeping and Food and Beverage Director. We do not take these comments lightly and will work to address the opportunities that you faced during your stay. We do hope that you would consider staying with us again so we can show you the true southern hospitality of our staff that you should have experienced the first time around.
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying at this hotel this August, with my family on the recommendation of another relative. Let me just say, your reputation is well earned. From the time we were greeted at the entrance and welcomed and aided with our luggage to our rooms, till the time we checked out, your staff was friendly, helpful, attentive and accommodating. The rooms were spacious (and we were eight altogether) , clean and stocked with essentials that made our stay away from home, like home in that regard. We marveled at the decor in the lobby, and the terrace provided a picture perfect view of a lake, boating and the surrounding golf grounds. The hotel was near various recreational activities, restaurants and shopping locals, We all had so much fun, we recommended your establishment to other family and friends and can't wait to stay next Summer again at our new home away from home in the Carolina's, The Marina Inn at Grand Dunes. Thanks for making our stay pleasant, wonderful and unforgettable! -Elena, Bronx NY

Room Tip: Rooms fifth floor or higher.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Elena H
Anthony_Bot, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Elena H, Thank you for providing such great feedback to the TripAdvisor community about your stay here at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes. We strive to hold a high reputation here in Myrtle Beach and provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is gratifying to know that our staff lived up to your expectations. Our rooms are oversized and that is great that you got to experience the luxury that each and every room provides. We have a prime location on Highway 17 between Myrtle and North Myrtle Beach which allows our guests to get to all the nearby attractions in a timely manner. We are looking forward to your next stay with us and are glad you enjoyed it being at the Marina Inn!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I took a quick trip to Myrtle Beach and stayed at the Marina Inn Grande. Upon my arrival I thought the hotel had some nice touches, i.e. valet parking at no extra charge, very quick check-in, shuttle to the beach, etc. I, however, got the biggest shock when I spotted what looked like a very large cockroach in our room. I called the front desk where I was told it was a bug native to South Carolina called a palmetto bug and they said it wasn't much they could do about it. I asked around and was told by some of the locals that it's a cockroach. I nearly had a heart attack and thank God my daughter was in the shower when I spotted it. Needless to say, I was rather uncomfortable with the remainder of our stay. My daughter loved Myrtle Beach and we will return but I would never stay at this hotel again. We travel quite a bit and I have never seen any type of bug in a room that we stayed in, EVER!

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Lllovetravel
Shauna H, Front Office Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Lllovetravel, Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We are happy that you did enjoy our complimentary valet parking and your check in seamless. Its also nice to know that you got a chance to enjoy the shuttle to the beach. I sincerely apologize for the issue with the Palmetto bug in your room. We spray all of our rooms and try to be proactive and I am truly sorry that one was in your room. Please accept our apology and do not let this deter you from returning to our property. We have so much more to offer than that experience and we would love to have the chance to accommodate you and your family again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel. Shuttle drops you at beach location. Fantastic shower and bedding! Didn't want to leave! Was a welcome second night after staying at the dirty windsurfer hotel the prior night. Hotel staff was friendly. Though it did take a long time to check in as thy only had two people working the desks.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 stars
Msmleighs, it is great to know that you enjoyed your stay here at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes! It is great to hear how you were able to enjoy the beach, the amazing room accommodations and all the amenities here on property. It is great to know that our staff catered to you in a timely and well mannered way. We can’t wait to have you back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Myrtle Beach
#7 of 218 in Myrtle Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 1,174 reviews
Royale Palms Condominiums by Hilton
Hilton Garden Inn Myrtle Beach/Coastal Grand Mall

Been to Marina Inn at Grande Dunes? Share your experiences!