“My family's fifth stay at Marina Inn...and again excellent!!”

Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Ranked #5 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I can never express enough through the several reviews I've posted on this site just how great the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes is, however, In the interest of being as honest as possible (although it was a real reach) I have described several small issues in past reviews, such as; old televisions, lack of towels at pool, and less than perfect maid service. My last visit this past week (July 10-17) left me absolutely nothing to complain about. The small issues I've touched on in the past have been fixed, TVs are updated, maid service great, and no issues with towels at pool or beach. There is no better place in Myrtle Beach. The short two minute drive to the private beach area is always well worth the incredible look and feel of this hotel. If the choice is between a worn and weather beaten hotel that is on the beach, or, this incredibly beautiful hotel, I'll choose The Marina Inn every time.
A quick thank you to the front desk staff, especially Chanda, the staff helped make an incredible atmosphere even better. Can't wait till next year.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank jshearns
There are newer reviews for Marina Inn at Grande Dunes

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here for a business meeting that was being held there.

In order to reduce costs, I arranged with another couple attending the meeting to share a suite. It was lovely, roomy, clean, and bright with a full kitchen, living room/dining room area and a balcony. I took the room with the double beds and the couple took the king. The King Room had a great view of the golf course and it was brighter and lovely, but we both had private baths. My bath was accessible to the main living area, but had a separate entrance from the bedroom. My bath was extra large and had a washer and dryer behind louver doors.

The pool was a bit small, but refreshing. I didn't spend much time poolside.

I found staff to be extremely helpful. An example, I left my iphone 5 power chord on the dresser. As soon as I was at the airport I realized it and called the hotel. I was told that I would get a call back. I chalked it up to my stupidity and thought it would be unlikely I'd get it back. I've left things like that in hotel rooms before and never recovered them. They disappeared into thin air. My call was returned as was my power chord. To me, that was extraordinary service. i had my power chord back within 3 days of arriving home.

The only weakness of the property was the restaurant on premise. Service was exceptionally slow and the one morning I made the mistake of asking for a latte, After 25 minutes of waiting, I had to get to my meeting before it was ready. The hostess seemed overworked and overwhelmed. She apologized every time I was there for the slow service and the inability to help us in a timely manner. It seemed she wanted our sympathy more than she wanted to have business.

I believe that the restaurant manager didn't beef up the staff prior to having our group. The restaurant unattached to the hotel brought in more servers and another cook after the first day of the meetings when he/she realized they were going to be very busy. Seemed they were grateful to have us verses the in-house house restaurant who seemed to think we were a problem.

That aside, there was a very nice restaurant right next door in addition to the outdoor bar/restaurant. If you stay there without a car you do have 2 other options for dining within a short walking distance. There was a sushi restaurant across the street in a strip mall that was also really good. "Across the street" is a bit of a hike. Things are pretty spread out.

I give Marina Inn a good rating and would recommend staying here for business and for events.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 18, 2013

AAA Four Diamonds? No! This Inn could be amazing. Its location is on the intracoastal waterway.
Landscaped beautifully,very close to highway. But getting across the highway is very dangerous.
The rooms need al lot of help. Our shower looked liked it hasn't been cleaned in years.
side tables had old burn marks on them from smokers in the past. Hallway carpets need to go. Furniture needs to be done over. Some great furniture in lobby areas have broken handles. Over all the place needs major
updating.
Staff very nice. The new owners better get their act together

Room Tip: waterway view is pretty and nice to see the boats travel by
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
DavidinMB, General Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Traveler10282: Thank you for taking the time to submit the review of your recent stay with us. Thanks also for your comments regarding our location, beautiful landscaping and nice staff.
I have discussed your comments with my engineering and housekeeping staffs…the items you mention are very fixable like the shower, attention to furniture etc. I personally inspect rooms every day and will address your concerns immediately. Thank you for caring enough to let us know. Sincerely, David Nelson, GM

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was my first time staying at the Marina Inn and my overall experience was great. The hotel staff was very accommodating from checking in and out, the shuttle to the beach and valet service. You can tell that the property is very well taken care of and our suite was exceptionally clean. I will definitely stay at the Marina Inn for future visits to Myrtle Beach and would recommend it to others as well.

Room Tip: Corner suite facing the intercostal waterway.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
MIFrontOfficeManager, Front Office Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Miss W- Thank you for your kind remarks and review of your stay. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I booked a 2 night lodging at the Marina Inn for a short holiday with my wife and children. I knew the price for a hotel off of the main strand was expensive but wanted to stay somewhere nice. I was not disappointed and my family really enjoyed the property. On arrival we were made to feel welcome by the valet staff and that continued until our departure. The room was very comfortable, the pools were well kept and the on-site restaurant was very good. Although not connected to the property, the semi-private beach was a short drive with shuttle service available. The Inn is close to several attractions and shopping to keep the wife and daughter happy.

I was very please with my entire stay and thank all the staff as they were all professional and welcoming to my family. When I compared the cost of this hotel with the cost of the hotels on the strand there was very little difference. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it for families that are looking for a place to stay as the clientele were much more pleasant to be around than several other places I have stayed in Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear BenjaminH: I want to thank you for taking the time to summarize your recent stay with us! I am also glad you enjoyed your visit. Your itemized summary is very thorough and complete… I will share your comments with my team. We genuinely care about our guests and your positive review is gratifying and not taken for granted…thank you.
Sincerely, David Nelson, GM

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel is located on the intracoastal waterway and it is about a 5-10 shuttle ride to a nearby beach.
We learned that only one tower of this complex operates as a hotel...the rest of the complex is privately owned with some being time-shared.
Features we liked:
-spacious rooms with pleasant views of the intercoastal or pool area
-attentive housekeeping and shuttle service continuous to the beach
-pristine beach with lounge chairs, umbrellas, and towels ( even though it is public beach, public access is quite a distance away so you really have sparse crowds).
-reliable internet
-convenience of a supermarket (Lowes) access the highway from hotel

We disliked:
-the pool- it is very crowded with extended families and quite noisy (head for the beach)
-room furniture is showing some age and sofa in our suite was very uncomfortable
-no availability of water at the beach (bottled water for sale for $3.
-timeshares pitch in the lobby
-overpriced restaurant with mediocre food

AAA four diamonds- maybe at one time but I doubt this would be the case with a revisit

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Theroadwarrior12

Dear Road Warrior: Thank you for taking the time to write such a complete review of your recent stay. Thank you also for your great comments regarding our attentive housekeeping staff, continuous shuttle to the beach, consistent internet and other items. By the way, we are a multi-use facility with both luxurious over-sized guest rooms and two, three and four bedroom upscale condos that are privately owned. We have no time share at the Marina Inn.
I am sorry our pool was noisy for you. Most of the time the atmosphere is relaxing and perfect for a vacation. I am also sorry for what appeared to be a timeshare pitch…actually it is a vacation club…
We try to keep the prices reasonable in our award winning Waterscapes restaurant, but there are also other choices such as Reflections Lounge which serves casual fare as well as the full restaurant menu; Ruths Chris is right next door and so is Anchor Café, located in the Marina…a favorite for locals.
Thanks again for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is sincerely appreciated. We hope to have you back with us soon! All the best, David Nelson, GM

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights this month. The two-bedroom suite layout was excellent for us, traveling with a baby and two teenagers. The suite had a full kitchen, living room, and two bathrooms. This worked out very well for us.

Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
MIExec, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

EdC808a,
We appreciate you taking time to review your recent stay and for recommending the Marina Inn to other travelers through the Trip Advisor. Our two bedroom suite layout is spacious and I’m glad to hear that there was plenty of room for your family to relax and enjoy your stay with us. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us and we look forward to seeing you and your family when you return to the area.
Eleanor