“Great hotel, great pool, great loc., great service”

Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Ranked #5 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
ramsey
“Great hotel, great pool, great loc., great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Recently returned from a 4 day stay with friends. This place is terrific. Perfect location for golfers especially when playing the North Myrtle area. The condo rooms are spacious and well equipped.
Full kitchen, balcony overlooking the Inland waterway. Pool area is superb, 2 giant hot tubs, plenty of room and towels poolside. Upscale comortable lobby.
Also an indoor pool and fitness center.
Directly across the street is an expansive supermarket and some family friendly restaurants.
Complimentary morning coffee in lobby is a great touch.
My wife and I will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
DavidinMB, General Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Jim W: Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay with us. Your comments regarding our location, condition and size of our suites, pool, hot tubs and warm lobby are all appreciated. I am glad you and your wife had a memorable stay and on behalf of the entire team here at The Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, we hope to have you back again with us soon! Thanks again, David Nelson, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

From the moment we arrived we were very impressed. Hotel is well kept in terms of outside appearance. Lobby for check in was nice and staff was courteous to show us what the hotel had to offer. Being from out of town it was nice to be in an area that had nearby attractions and still have accessibility to beach by the shuttle. The room we stayed in was the medditer. suite, which for two people is really all you need, that was great and we did have to call down to the desk one time after 4pm which is their end time of cleaning but no other issues with the room and they were on top of cleaning the rest of our stay. Had a nice view of the marina and golf course from there which was nice waking up to. Jet ski rental was right outside our door, which was a lot of fun.

There are just a couple of things my wife and I took note of. The indoor pool was disgusting, and this was due to the fact that it was right next to the workout facility. What this is, is really not a pool but a sweat and feet shop, no jacuzzi! indoor. Come on guys, you could do better than that. So that was a little dissapointing. The outdoor pool was amazing, exactly like how their pictures make it out. The bars both outdoor and indoor extremely expensive, 10 dollars for mixed drinks. Make sure if you are traveling you are aware that SC state law is liquor store closes at 7 and definitely closed on sunday. Another issue we ran into was little kids between 10 - 15 that were jumping on top of each other and making it hard for other families to bring their younger children into the pool. I believe they were baseball camp kids. No lifeguard needs to be on duty but there needs to be a sign explaining some courtesy about certain do's and donts, to the parents (who did not do anything to calm the situation). In addition they made the pool disgusting because they were throwing around a football that was peeling off into the pool. Eventually my wife and I had to leave because of all the yelling by several of the boys there became unbearable and no longer relaxing. Shame on the parents who were there as well and said nothing to their kids about being courteous. We even saw a couple of babies and younger kids crying because they couldnt get into the pool. I would definitely not want to bring my family here for future stay based on what we encountered. Great for adults though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Daniel M: Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of your recent stay with us. Your comments are very thorough and welcomed. Thanks for your positive input regarding our lobby and staff, accessibility to our beach, and closeness to activities in the area. I’m also glad you enjoyed our beautiful views…there is nothing better than waking up to views of the marina and golf course!
Thank you for pointing out your issues with the indoor pool and fitness center. I was just in there and insured, even with a few people working out this morning, that there was plenty of air movement to keep the area fresh. You are absolutely correct about our outdoor pool as well…it really is beautiful, thanks. Drinks in all of our outlets are pretty average in price and should be about the price you would pay in a local restaurant or lounge…based on what is being ordered.
I am sorry your pool time was not as relaxing as you would have liked. Actually, most of the time our pool is fairly quite as you would expect at an upscale facility such as ours. Families with children are our primary guests in the summertime and that is why we have two full time, 7-days a week, activities coordinators on staff…based at the outdoor pool.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and we look forward to having you back for your 2nd Anniversary, if not sooner!!!
All the best, David Nelson, GM
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon in mid-September 2012. It was quiet and relaxing. They offer a valet, and free shuttle to the beach, which is nice. The hotel room was clean and HUGE. Our room had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, a living room, and a patio overlooking the beautiful waterway. The staff was friendly, especially the guys working the valet. We had a good conversation about Orioles baseball with one of them. I would love to return to Myrtle Beach and stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer M
DavidinMB, General Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Jennifer: Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you for staying with us over your honeymoon…we love to be a part of your memories! Your comments regarding our beach access and free shuttle, cleanliness of your suite and the spaciousness is sincerely appreciated. You should see the waterway today….it is absolutely beautiful! Thanks again for taking the time to give us your feedback…it means a lot to us. By the way, good luck to TJ McFarland who gets his first MLB start tonight against the Yankees. I hope you are going.
All the best, David Nelson, GM
Oakmont, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

My experience of my stay at the Marina Inn was top shelf. Our group of about 30 people came for a 5 day golf trip and I can say that I was very pleased with the staff , facilities and value . The entire staff was professional , pleasant and responsive . The front door greeters , registration staff, the housekeeping service, waiters, bartenders , golf personnel and others were all extremely helpful and attentive.
One example of the high level of customer service would be, when a group of us arrived at the outdoor restaurant we were informed that that dining had been closed for the evening . However , the staff checked to see if they could handle our request and informed us that they could which was very much appreciated .
The facilities were in great shape the rooms were clean ,updated and comfortable.
I would return the Marina Inn in the future

1 Thank Dennis T
Dear Dennis: Thank you for taking the time to write the review of your recent stay with us. Besides your great comments, I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us for your golf trip. Your positive comments regarding the front door greeters, registration staff, housekeeping staff, bartenders and wait staff are not taken lightly and are sincerely appreciated. Bill, our golf director, genuinely cares that each group has an enjoyable experience…he is excellent at what he does and we are lucky to have him. I am especially appreciative of your golf comments with one of the best golf courses in the country in your back yard! Thanks again. Sincerely, David Nelson, GM
Irmo, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a Beautiful property but this hotel is not on the ocean. I stayed in Harbor Tower Room 6213 which was back in the corner and had a good view of the pool and was quiet. The Swimming pool was heated and the outdoor Jacuzzi was nice. It was wonderful to be able to use the robes provided in the rooms to wear down to the Jacuzzi during the month of March. The room service attendant was excellent. Maid service was lacking. Used glasses were not changed out. Ice bucket was not cleaned out after use and ice bag not replaced. Trash can under desk was not emptied for 2 days and even when I complained was still not emptied. The bath mat, hand towels and face cloths were not replenished. I had to always call down to Concierge to request and mention these necessary items. Laundry bag fell on the floor while hanging cloths so the maid took it and never was replaced during stay. I ordered breakfast with the special door hanger card and the maid did not provide me with a new one. Upon check out the computer system was down therefore I was unable to be given a hard copy bill. I was told they would email me one but never received it.

Room Tip: Choose a room if you want to view the pool and Hwy 17 Bypass. I think you can also choose a room to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MIFrontOfficeManager, Front Office Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to post a review about your experience. I apologize for the difficulties you experienced during your stay. We will address your concerns with the director of housekeeping. Your comments are appreciated and will be incorporated into future training to prevent recurrence. Additionally, a copy of your final bill has been emailed to the address we have on file. We are glad your overall experience was positive, and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to see you again!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 7 nights when my husband had a class here. Hotel is clean but a little shabby( don't know if our room was worse because we were staying here due to his business) carpet was ripped, stains in carpet, don't look under the bed because there were numerous items there, not ours and dust. They have a go green program where you don't get housekeeping that day and get a 5 dollar coupon, we did this the first two nights and from then on housekeeping was a problem. We would have to call the front desk 3-4 times a day to come clean our room because they didn't clean it. We would be gone for most of the day at the beach or pool and come back to a dirty room with no clean towels and then have to call them to come clean and get towels. After two days of this my husband would go to the front desk at noon during his lunch break and ask to have the room clean, 4-5 o'clock rolls around and still no clean room, every day. 3 days they were out of towels at the pool. The kids eat free thing is not really true, a kid eats "free" with each paying adult, but when we received our bill there was an automatic 18% gratuity added, when I asked the waitress she said it was automatically added to you bill when you use a coupon or special like kids eat free, so the free meal is not really free.
Also they do not have a laundry room there for you to wash your clothes, they could send it out for you but they charge by the piece, so we had to find a laundromat.
They also put out cookies and juice at 3:00, but they put out one small plate of cookies for the entire hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Beezus25
HospitalityPro73, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hello Beezus25,

Thanks for posting on Tripadvisor.com, the team at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes appreciates your feedback. After reading your comments it's clear some challenges occurred during your stay. It appears your issues were mainly associated to your Housekeeping services; kids eat free promotion, guest laundry and afternoon refreshments.

Your Housekeeping challenges have been relayed to our Executive Housekeeper for further review; we intend to identify where the service failures occurred and work hard to implement better protocol to ensure this does not happen again.

We have assessed the Kids Eat Free promotion; your comments have been shared with our Director of Food and Beverage. We will research your incident to ensure all team members in our onsite restaurant understand the promotion and how to process final checks.

We do not have an onsite guest laundry but do work with a local dry cleaner who can process orders same day by 6pm. We also have a number of larger suites that are equipped with washers and dryers and we also have detergent for sale in our lobby gift shop.

We do provide afternoon juice and cookies. These refreshments are provided from 3p-4p daily. Unfortunately, guests do enjoy this amenity and sometimes the cookies are consumed rather quickly. We have since changed the delivery times for the cookies, now providing at 3p and again at 3:30pm so more guests have an opportunity to enjoy the amenity.

Again, we really to appreciate you’re feedback; we're truly sorry for falling short of your expectations and intend to follow up on all aspects to improve our overall operation.

Mark Burlyn
Revenue Manager
Londonderry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel is a wonderful facility, Its atmosphere and accommodations are terrific.Its beautiful, relaxing and elegant. The friendly and helpful attitude of the staff who ever I need was out standing.

I am not sure why I need a minimum of 200 characters to say briefly that I enjoyed my stay and look forward to next year. The relationship that is being built at facility is important and Marina Inn
seems to be interested is doing that.

Room Tip: Relax and enjoy
1 Thank Mark L
MIFrontOfficeManager, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, and for adding the "extra characters" to make your point! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again next year!