“Second time not a charm” 2 of 5 bubbles

Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Ranked #2 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Second time not a charm”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

We visited Myrtle (Marina Inn) beach last year, and very impressed the first time. Our recent visit was quite the opposite.

We informed the hotel that we have sensitive allergies, and upon arrival the room was very dusty. Some corners had very large dust bunnies that had clearly not been cleaned in some time.. sand and some food remnants on the floor. After complaining, they were quick to respond with a cleaner that evening.

The next day however, when we returned to our room after a day trip, we found the door had been left open for several hours (by the cleaning staff).

On a positive note, they did receive our complaints and respond with a free breakfast and one nights stay for free.

However, the customer service was not as good as the first visit. It's possible they have cut costs by hiring new young staff, and have not properly trained them. Valet service for example was not nearly as enjoyable and easy as the first time.

From what we observed, the more experienced staff were excellent - however the new young staff (valet and cleaners) were not so great.

For the money, I'd not recommend this hotel.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Troy D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

This site only allows me to go back to the date chosen. However, the last time we stayed here was in December 2010. It would appear that perhaps the management has changed which has impacted the customer service based on what I read from the current 2012 reviews. One of the things that makes Marina Inn at Grande Dunes stand out beyond the wonderful rooms are the customer service...at least how we remember it.

We have stayed three times (twice in 2008 & 2010) and each was an amazing experience. The only room type we've stayed in is the two bedroom suite. It is the size of a condominium with a full kitchen with the necessary utensils. We love to still cook on vacation so this is nice to have a kitchen pretty similar to our own kitchen even though it's smaller. Housekeeping did service the room and put all items in the dishwasher but didn't scrub pans. They were stainless steel where cooked food did accumulate making cleaning not so easy. There weren't any cleaning supplies left for this purpose. We did have to call once on this issue.

The grounds are most beautiful with both an indoor and outdoor pool, and it's a short drive to the private beach! There are tennis courts onsite which are well maintained. We preferred the location than on the oceanfront. It is close enough to other local attractions such as the Boardwalk, restaurants, and the Opry (great show). Additionally, we love the fact that one of our favorite restaurants...Ruth's Chris Steak House Restaurant is right on site! We have eaten several times at Waterscapes which excellent meals as well! We enjoyed all of our meals there and loved how the wait staff treated us.

Lastly, I will say that the suite does provide a safe to store your valuables that we regularly use while there. I read a review where a gentleman stated something went missing from his room. This stood out to me. The last time we stayed there in December 2010, I left my cell phone and two camera chargers in our suite once we checked out. Once we got to our vehicle I realized that I didn't have my phone. Now, we were in the main lobby for quite some time and then had to wait on the valet to bring our car around...NOT one call about my phone to the front desk. Once in the car, I realized and he went to get it. He said that housekeeping was ALREADY in the room and the phone had been placed in a DRAWER in the bathroom. I left it on the counter! I didn't realize about the camera chargers until after we returned home for a few days. We NEVER received a call. They were left in the kitchen near the stove. I was VERY disappointed about this. That is my only real major complaint. I was surprised because the resort does portray itself as being an high end establishment.

Overall, we have always had a very excellent experience at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes! I realize a lot can change within a couple of years based on the reviews that I read. I will keep reading more reviews, because we have been considering returning there soon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ChulitaTravelChica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

This was the best vacation I really enjoyed so much thst I had extend mu vacation. This resort was in a prime spot. Great location. It is centrally located to all the great attractions. The service was wonderful. Great staff in my eyes. My son is already talking about coming back next summer. I reserved a studio rm and was wonderful. Great size for lenghth of time. I look forward to my visit. Ty

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Yolettee
Valley View, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Would highly recommend the Marina Inn. Beautiful rooms and grounds. Staff is courteous and willing to accommodate all your needs. Will definitely return in the future. We had a baby in our party and they went out of their way to make sure we had what we needed.

2 Thank Linda K
Washington, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Marina Inn At Grande Dunes is located in Myrtle Beach, close to The Carolina Opry, Northwood Shopping Plaza, and Dunes Golf and Beach Club. Nearby points of interest also include Cane Patch Par Three.

Marina Inn At Grande Dunes's restaurant serves lunch and dinner. A poolside bar and a bar/lounge are open for drinks. Room service is available 24 hours a day. Recreational amenities include a golf course. Also located on site are an outdoor pool, an indoor pool, outdoor tennis courts, and a sauna. This 4-star property has a business center and offers small meeting rooms, limo/town car service, and audio-visual equipment. High-speed Internet access is available in public areas.

The hotel is beautiful, and the view was amazing.

Room Tip: Order in advanced because the rooms can fill up around busy times.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher F
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The beauty of this resort is being able to get away from the hustle and bustle of Myrtle Beach. I found this hotel to be a gem. We would go out and do all of the activies that Myrtle Beach had to offer and then return to peace and quiet for a truly relaxing vacation. The staff was very pleasant especially the valet staff. They were there to greet you with a pleasant smile and kind words. The resort was very clean. Housekeeping was prompt in showing up to clean the room everyday but a little early for me. The only thing I would recommend is upgrading the TV's and maybe some of the furnishings. The lighting in the units could have been a little brighter and maybe some light on the balconys as it was very dark at night. The furnishings were a little dated but clean. The bedding was extremely comfortable. Yes, I would visit this resort again.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

This hotel is beautiful and the view from the room of the marina simply gorgeous. I've stayed in better for the price though. I would love for them to upgrade the TVs to flat screens. Housekeeping also could do better on the details. We turned on the ceiling fans and dust came down through the room like snowflakes. Also, the phone was filthy with earwax. Thankfully I always bring disinfecting wipes! The staff is very helpful and friendly but they were more on the overly familiar friendly side than polished professionals. I was also disappointed that a room with a kitchen did not have a dining table. Overall it was a great stay and I would stay again.

Room Tip: We had a higher floor although we had to press the staff to give it to us.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple