“Beware of Hotwire rooms!”

Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Ranked #6 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Beware of Hotwire rooms!”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We booked this hotel through Hotwire and were expecting a wonderful resort, but instead experienced a run down hotel trying to stay afloat. The televisions in all their rooms were from 1980. The shower had pieces missing, the floor was cracked, the telephones did not work probably due to the fact that they were made in the 80's as well. We had no maid service for two days. When I complained on the second night about no maid service the lady asked was I sure I didn't hang a sign out saying, "no service." Another couple was hecking into their room next to us and it was uncleaned when they walked in. There was no apology, but they were asked did they book on hotwire. Definitely not worth the money!!!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank NCteacherbudget

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I'm not a huge fan of Myrtle Beach in general. I rarely come away from there feeling relaxed because the amount of traffic and people at every turn tends to make me tense. But it's the closest beach to where I live so I thought I'd take the family on a spontaneous weekend trip after the school year was finished. I researched a lot of "resort" hotels and the Marina Inn kept popping up to the top based on reviews from various sites so I took a leap of faith and gave it a shot. Ultimately I have to give it a 3-star review - meaning average. Average is by definition neither good nor bad so I’m not trying to be negative. I think it is a nice looking place but I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Based on some of the reviews my expectations were pretty high, but it's no better or worse than the Marriott Grande Dunes which I have stayed as several times. The Marriott's great advantage is of course the beach access. At arrival I was more or less ignored by the valet. There were three valets helping one family which didn't make any sense. When I finally got out of the car and started unloading luggage one of them finally turned and asked if I needed help. I politely declined. Check-in at the lobby was fine. I was next in line and didn't have to wait. Unfortunately they assigned us the first room right off the lobby (#6201). It was right next to the lobby bar and I immediately worried we would hear people all night. The room itself had 2 queen beds and overlooked the pool. The furnishings and décor were on-par with a typical brand name beach resort. It was comfortable room. The lanai was large but just had 2 small chairs and lacked privacy. I noticed right away that this place was used for a lot of weddings and parties. Maybe our timing was bad, but it was clear that a lot of the guests were there for a wedding that weekend. As predicted it got a little loud the first night. Since we were literally 50 feet from the main lobby, we could hear loud voices and people greeting each other at the bar well past 11:00 pm. I made a call to the front desk and it quieted down. We turned the A/C fan to “on” and the white noise helped a lot. We only had breakfast at the hotel. The buffet was pretty basic with just a half-dozen choices. Again not great but average. I thought not being on the beach would be inconvenient, but the shuttle worked out well. The driver was very friendly and we never had to wait. The beach area itself was great. I like the chairs and umbrellas and it was not nearly as crowded as I thought it would be. It was just right and the highlight of the trip. All in all, I would stay there again if there was a discount available and I wasn't right next to the lobby, but at over $230 per night for a standard room, I would have expected a more unique experience. If I had to choose between the Marriott and Marina Inn at the same price, I would definitely choose to be right on the beach in the Marriott.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We really enjoyed the Marina Inn at Grand Dunes. We were down for a friend’s wedding and decided to turn this into a long weekend.

The Pros: The rooms, the grounds and overall property were amazing. Very clean, well maintained and personally unmatched compared to other Myrtle Beach hotel locations. Extra large rooms and bathrooms, great beds, slept like a baby. The location of the hotel was very convenient, right off of HWY 17, easy access to other roads and areas by car. The service at the pool and pool bar was on point every day, those people work hard, hats off to them. The complementary valet service was nice and we appreciated the free Wi-Fi access, as most hotels either charge or require to you sign up at check in.

The Cons: Only a few, but we found it odd that our room was not serviced on Saturday, but Sunday, housekeeping stopped by our room three times between 9am and 1030am to see if we are ready for service. Check out isn’t until noon, so it felt as if we were getting rushed. And it wasn’t just us, we could hear the same practice being used un/down the hall on our floor. Second, the service at the poolside indoor/outdoor restaurant was a bit slow. Had to wait over 30 minutes for eggs and it was obvious they were sitting under the warmer as the plates were hotter than the eggs.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again, without question. On a side note and important to point out I believe, the staff working/attending to our friends wedding did a great job. They were busy all afternoon and late into the evening…all super nice. So I guess if you are looking for a wedding venue, this might be a decent spot, if that’s your cup of tea.

Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank etrain33
DOSMatMarinaInn, Director of Sales at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thanks etrain33 for sharing your recent wedding weekend experience at the Marina Inn. We appreciate that you pointed out both the pros and cons during your weekend stay. Obviously we always are very excited to learn about the positives! The Marina Inn is a unique venue in Myrtle Beach as it is located on 2200 acres of the Grande Dunes Resort. As you noted, the grounds are meticulously kept and there are several views to enjoy from every angle of the hotel including the golf course, marina, waterway and the poolscape. We are pleased that you took advantage and mentioned the value of our included amenities such as valet parking and wi-fi property wide.

As for the cons, we apologize that your experience with housekeeping was not up to par. Feeling rushed out of your room is not the kind of experience that we strive to achieve. Additionally our restaurant, WaterScapes, is widely known for its locally sourced, sustainable food and warm, friendly service so we apologize that your dining experience was less than acceptable. These experiences have been addressed so thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

As you mentioned, the Marina Inn is an excellent location for destination weddings. With a full service catering and convention services staff, we can assist all aspects of your wedding from reception, ceremony, preferred vendors recommendations and more.

Thanks again etrain33 for sharing your vacation experience at Marina Inn with the TripAdvisor community.
South Carolina
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stayed here for a long weekend with children and parents. Property is excellent and our room was basically a condo with two levels. It included a full kitchen, dining area, living room, half bath, and a master suite on the first floor. The other floor had a large bedroom and bath and the other bedroom was huge with a fireplace and sitting area a large spa like bath (soaking tub, separate shower, double vanities, water closet, granite countertops, marble tile floors) and a huge walk in closet! Great balconies on both levels with views of the intercostal waterway. Accommodations were great! The only problem we experienced was the maid did not clean our room one day and didn't provide linens. We had to call twice but we finally did have linens brought to our room and decided to forgo the cleaning since it was late in the day at that point.
Parking is sufficient and valet is available if you choose. The outdoor pool area is nice. The indoor pool is good, too. Did not eat at the hotel, so not sure about restaurants. Convenient location that is a little off the beaten path, as far as hotels go. Would definitely stay again and would recommend to others looking for a very nice hotel on the Myrtle area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed at this hotel five days and four nights after seeing the reviews on Trip Advisor. It was a wonderful experience. The hotel and grounds are relaxing and beautiful. The staff are all efficient, friendly and provided outstanding service. Our suite was fabulous and overlooked the marina and neighboring golf course. We fully utilized the kitchen. It was wonderful and had everything necessary to create a gourmet meal!

Prior to arrival we were concerned about not being on the beachfront, but the Marina Inn's beach was a quick shuttle trip away. The beach was beautiful, very well maintained and not crowded at all. Chairs and umbrellas were readily available.

We didn't want to leave and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank terewilliams
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2012

my wife and i decided on a 5 day golf vacation in myrtle beach. we were pleasantly surprised when we checked in and were given a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite with living room, full kitchen, and balcony. we had booked a room with a king size bed, which would have been fine, but this was much nicer. we had a view of the water and golf course. getting on and off the property was a snap, they are right on rt 17, which is the main drag in myrtle beach, but a long ways from the road itself, which made it nice and quiet. they offer free valet parking, but it isnt really necessary since self parking is close to the main entrance. the pool area was large, with an outdoor bar and a young lady who walked around taking drink orders. ruth's chris steakhouse is on the property for steak lovers. we ate there one night and food and service were excellent as at all their steakhouses. as for golf, we played the resort course. the staff was very friendly and the course was in excellent condition. one word of advise....make your tee times through a tee time service instead of through the hotel and you will save some money. there are several online.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angmor54
Thanks angmor54 for sharing your recent golf vacation experience with the TripAdvisor community. As you experienced, the Marina Inn is an excellent location for golfers providing two highly rated golf courses conveniently located onsite. Our shuttle drivers will gladly transport our guests to and from these two golf courses. Regarding the golf course prices; starting mid-May through mid-September, golf courses will often times offer special rates that are at a better price than what some packages provide. It is always a good idea to shop around for the best golf rates during this time of the year.

Again, we appreciate your generous review of the staff, services and amenities that you experienced at the Marina Inn. We hope to see you again on a future visit.
Virginia
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel Memorial Day weekend 2012 for the first time and loved it. I normally stay ocean front but wanted to try something different and I'm so glad I did. The customer service is fabulous with multiple concierges always available to park cars, help with bags, etc. Our room was very large with a full kitchen and had a wonderful view of the Intercoastal Waterway. It felt more like an apartment than a hotel room and we were able to keep lots of food and beverage on hand. The hotel is also centrally located and the shuttle to/from the private beach makes it so convenient to enjoy the beach without the hassles of parking. The restaurant was also very good, albeit a bit pricey for breakfast. But we enjoyed a wonderful crab/shrimp omelet so we weren't complaining about the cost. Thanks Marina Inn for helping to make our vacation a great one!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank SCgirlatheart1
Hello allthingscarolina! Thank you for taking the time to share your Memorial Weekend vacation on TripAdvisor.

The staff always appreciates positive comments and recognition. Customer service is our top priority and we strive to make sure it is being delivered on a consistent basis. Reviews such as yours are affirmation that we are delivering the level of service that is expected.

One of our top amenities is our private beach access. We are pleased that you were able to take advantage of the convenience of this amenity. It is a plus to be able to leave the sand at the beach and not worry about it getting into your car or your room!

We look forward to your return visit next Memorial Weekend!