The big NO REFUND sign when we checked in should have warned me. But the price seemed reasonable. ($50 per night). I asked about the pool when we checked in because the sign said heated pool but the pool looked dirty. He said it wasn't open yet. I asked him did that make people change their minds he said the price usually is what attracted people. He gaves us our key to room 204 and the remote for the tv and off we went. The only steps we saw going up to the second floor were at the end of the hotel so we used those. They are the old timey metal wind around kind. Charming but dangerous. (I can't imagine that it is safe to climb them when you are wet from the pool.)
We got to our room it looked ok. A little run down but ok from first impressions. My husband was doing a walk through and he sais cool a kitchenette. But that soon turned to disgust. There was mold in the refrigerator and on the floor around the refrigerator. There was old food on the stove top and crumbs all in the kitchen chairs. There was actually food still on the silverware IN the cabinet. (The note on the back of the door said the maid does not do dishes and they will charge you $20 for leaving dirty dishes. Well apparently they were serious about not doing them no matte what!) GROSS. So needless to say we did not go in there again except to turn on the a/c (it is in the kitchen)
Next stop the bathroom. The two biggest issues I had was that there was hair from previous guests, there was tried blood on the wall next to the sink, and the showere curtain was moldy. It is hard to take a shower in a hotel without the showere curtain sucking up near you and it was awful trying to keep it from touching me. There were a few other issues with the bathroom like not alot of water pressure and the drain stopped up but that sometimes happens in older hotels.
Another thing is the lamp over the bed didn't work we discovered that it was unplugged and then we discovered for good reason. There was black electrical tape around the cord and the wall socket cover was broken and exposed the plug. I am not sure but I think that is a fire hazard.
The ice machine did not work and when I asked about it the woman said that she thought it had been broke "a couple of days". There was so much dust on the top of it you could tell it had been broken for awhile and the lid was broken so when you lifted it you thought it would come off in your hand.
The first night we were there a couple of rooms next to us had some rowdy kids in them but they weren't too bad, just yelling out a few times but they settled down pretty quick.
We had decided to make the most of the situation because of the no refund sign so we didn't use the kitchen and tried to clean up the rest a little bit so we would be comfortable.
I think the mom and pop hotels of old are slowly being taken over by people just trying to make a buck. Even if they are old they can still at least be clean. This one wasn't.
MY ADVICE: DON'T STAY HERE UNLESS YOU BRING CLEANING SUPPLIES AND ARE WILLING TO CLEAN IT BEFORE YOU STAY IN IT. I did add photos so that people could see what room 204 looks like so if they stay in it hopefully it won't look like that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Carolina Tarheel is a small, quiet, family-owned motel located on the corner of 18th Avenue North and Withers Drive in downtown Myrtle Beach. We are within walking distance to the beach, restaurants, nightlife, a grocery store, and many other attractions. We offer rooms with one, two, or three beds. One parking space per room is available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Carolina Tarheel Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carolina Tarheel Hotel Myrtle Beach