“Good eats at a good price”
Review of River City Cafe

River City Cafe
Ranked #79 of 956 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were staying 4 blocks away at Monterey Bay where a few of the staff recommended River City Cafe. We had just arrived after a 12hr drive from NJ and wanted to eat at somewhere close. It was around 8pm when we walked in and was seated immediately. My wife and I ordered Buffalo wings as an appetizer, and a house salad each. She ordered some kind of chicken sandwich and I ordered a jumbo hot dog. While waiting for our food, we enjoyed looking at the HUNDREDS of license plates on the walls. Kinda neat. Our wings and salad came quickly and both were a bit more then we expected. The salads were fresh and the bbq wings were excellent. When our main courses arrived, I was not impressed with the size of my "jumbo" hot dog. A bit on the small size but covered in chili and onions. Since I'm pretty sloppy to start off with, I ate it using a knife and fork. My wife enjoyed her chicken sandwich and whatever toppings were on it. After filling up we asked for a take out box for what we didnt finish. We decided to have another drink while eating some peanuts, just so we could throw the shells on the floor. That's what this cafe is famous for. As we were getting ready to go, our server suggested we take a bag of nuts with us. He poured 3 large scoops into a bag saying "enjoy. No charge" COOL!!! Now we dont have to buy snacks in the hotel vending machines. All in all, it was a nice dinner for a reasonable price. We enjoyed it.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,826)

Reviewed March 25, 2013

River City has the best burgers!! Hands down this place is awesome! Great atmosphere, great value, great food...you will not be disappointed!

1  Thank K M
Reviewed March 24, 2013

First night of dining out in Myrtle Beach for family of 6 so we stopped at River City Café based on Trip Advisor reviews of how great the burgers were. We must have hit an "off" night because the food was average at best. Burgers and even kids corndogs were overcooked. The sweet potato fries and fried mushrooms, as well as the polite service and atmosphere makes me inclined to rate our overall experience as Average vs Poor. We had such high hopes!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were at Barefoot Landing and everyone was hungry. We walked over to one place for dinner and a group of teens were standing in front swearing and blocking the entrance so we decided to cross over to River City Cafe.
There was three people in our party--2 adults, one teen.
We were greeted immediately by a friendly face and lead right away to our table. The host asked if we had ever been there before and when we said no he took great pride in telling us about the restaurant, the food, the experience. It was nice to see someone so proud of their workplace--he really sold the RCC experience to us.
We started with tempura green beans--they were so crispy, piping hot and flavoured perfectly with some subtle seasoned salt as served with a ranch dip. I would order them again!
We all decided on burgers. I had an angus burger, someone else had a turkey burger and our teen had a chicken burger.
Everyone raved about their respective burger.
I had the beef and actually had juice running down my chin. I've never had a juicy, moist and flavourful burger like that. The bun was awesome as well..it was a pretzel bun--the look alone was artistic and I almost felt guilty biting into this work of art.
I had onion rings with my burger and they were clearly hand-dipped and made from fresh onions NOT some frozen rings.
The chicken burger was moist, grilled and although it had sauce it wasn't a dripping mess.
The turkey was very moist and didn't come with a sloppy bunch of toppings---the quality of the meat shone through.
Our server was GREAT! She had only been on the job for 4 shifts so she didn't know the menu inside and out but went and asked what she didn't know and she was bubbly and friendly. I can see locals going back and becoming her regulars--she ha a great personality to work in the hospitality industry.
I will for sure look for another River City Cafe on my next travels.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Good food and service. Some of the chairs are not okay so check them before you sit down. Overall it is a fun place to go as the walls are covered with license plates which are great to read. We enjoyed going here.