“Getting Better”

Ranked #56 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
SC
“Getting Better”
Reviewed September 30, 2009

After reading other reviews we were also a little nervous, although we have stayed at South Beach several times before. September is a great time to go - less traffic, better weather - but if you want quiet, ask when the bike rallies are (motor cycles). After talking to staff we learned the new owners have spent a lot of money on the exterior of the resort and were waiting until after peak season to start on the interiors. The beach club is currently closed for much-needed renovations. We stayed in the oldest building - had everything we needed in the way of supplies but I WAS happy to hear that new linens are among the upgrades planned for this winter. The planes didn't bother us - kids probably love them - but the helicopters are more annoying than they used to be - I wonder how they got around Myrtle Beach's noise ordinance. Upside is the location at the end of the strip - we love the short walk down the beach to the state park which is much less crowded. Hunting Beach State Park and Brookgreen Gardens are also just a few miles away and well worth the trip. As an owner, we DID get the "perks" like free golf that we always have - those are paid for by the homeowners assoc. - not the resort owners. Staff was pleasant and professional. I can well imagine there have been a few bumps along the way in the transition but it seemed the new owners are headed in the right direction.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
dallas
Reviewed September 15, 2009

We purchased at South Beach in March 2007. We were lied to at the time of the sale. We were told that we could call 3-4 months in advance to make reseverations for summer vacations and any time for off season vacations. NOT TRUE!!! I started calling in November to book for the first week of June, no luck. I also called to book for March and September. No luck! We are spending over $4000 a year to stay at South Beach and cannot get a reseveration! Buyer Beware!!!!!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank madisynemma
New Jersey
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Here are the pros:
1) Good location at quiet end of beach
2) Easy walk across 4 lane highway to beach (go there in late August and the town is empty -- don't know what it's like crossing the road during height of season) or you can take a free shuttle
3) Attractive, well-manicured grounds
4) Nice swimming pools
5) There is a small facility on the beach for use by resort guests that has a bathroom, small pool and outdoor showers.

Here are the cons:
1) There is a small airport behind the resort so you will hear and see planes coming and going. Sightseeing helicopter tours take off next to the resort so in addition to airplanes, you will see and hear helicopters.
2) The resort charges $50 a week for internet!!!
3) Nothing to do at the resort if you choose to hang out there. Pathetic game room, one pool table, lousy exercise room. Any activities offered are fee-based. There is no shuffle board, no ping pong, no board games...
4) The resort is very stingy with what is provided in the condo. My 2 bedroom condo, which sleeps 6, had enough provisions for no more than 2 people. At the resort where I own, everything you need to cook a turkey and bake an apple pie is provided. Here, we had to fight each other for plates, bowls and glasses. Three packets of dish washer detergent was provided. Four tiny bars of soap was all we got for 2 showers and 2 sinks. Toilet paper needed to be supplemented within days (though in the resort's defense, they didn't give us a problem -- although they only brought 2 rolls). My dog sleeps on better pillows and the linens are motel quality.
5) The building and room design is not well thought out, a pet peeve of mine. The elevator doors open directly in front of a condo on each floor (unfortunately, the one I was staying in -- room 422). More specifically, it opens in front of a window in the 2nd bedroom that, believe it or not, looks right out into the hallway, so my poor boys slept only a few feet away from a noisy, squeaky, groaning elevator. There are not enough towel bars and hooks to hang wet bathing suits. The small patio is screened in, which is nice, but that leaves no railing on which to drape a towel (not that anything actually dries in the humidity).

2 Thank Fried5
Leatherstocking Region New York
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Stayed here August 24 thru August 29. This is a timeshare place, but if a PC member you do not have to sit through the pitch. (They offered us $50 to sit through it, so we did.)

We had a two bedroom, two bathroom suite. Full kitchen with stove, refrigerator, dishwasher. Washer and Dryer in the suite. Dining area for six with living area and screened in porch. Rooms were very nice. King bed in the master suite was HUGE. My wife and I hardly knew the other was in bed :) Queen bed that my boys shared was big enough. As advertised on website, and pictures are accurate. Got a great rate at $101 a night. While checking on Priority Club website the rates had been much higher, but one day it was listed at $101, so be patient if you can to see if you can get it cheaper.

Only disappointment we had was the bathroom was not as clean as we would have liked (urine stains on outside front of the bowl), but overall the suite had been thoroughly cleaned before we arrived. REVIEWS ABOUT THE PILLOWS ARE TRUE: BRING YOUR OWN PILLOWS. Door bell did not work, but not a big deal. Next to airport, so jet plane noise begins around 7:30 AM, not really much of a problem since they don't take off or land more than a few times an hour, and at night we did not notice at all. HELICOPTER take-offs and landings were another issue. This was constant (7 AM - 8:30 PM, every 5 minutes) and after the first day the novelty wore off. We found this to be quite a distraction as we lounged by the pool. They are very close to the property.

Property is not beach front, but that can be a plus sometimes. Holiday Inn provides a shuttle that will take you from the club house to their beach club. They claim it is "acroos the street", but if you walked it from our unit it would have been about a 10 minute walk. We did not use shuttle (it was down for repairs on Tues.), but drove ourselves (2 min.) to their parking lot across from the beach club. Breezes Beach club is the big selling point for this property. It does have a pool and access to the beach, but pool is not very big, beach club had nothing in it, but bathrooms and some people taking drawing classes. They advertised a snack bar but the area it could have been in was empty. Also, their brochure states that towels are available at the beach club pool. THIS WAS NOT TRUE. We brought our own anyway for the beach, but if you are looking for a towel there you will be out of luck. They need to do some serious updating to this area if they want people to buy into the timeshare.

We originally parked in the Crown Reef parking garage and walked through their pool area on the first day by mistake. They are connected to each other, but are not part of each other. Crown Reef area is much bigger and nicer.

Overall it was a very relaxing vacation week for us. Pools on the property are nice, staff is very friendly. Beach access is fine, we observed many people walking from the property to the beach. Another plus is that it is away from the strip area of Myrtle Beach with its t-shirt shops and amusement park. Also, not a far drive from Market Common and Broadway at the Beach.

The property does offer activities, but most incur a fee: ice cream sundaes $3; tye dye fun $5-$10; Little Boy 's Pirate Party $12; Junk Food Bingo $1 per card, etc.

No restaurant on the property, but this is Myrtle Beach and you won't go hungry finding a place to eat out at in this town. We used our kitchen for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 4 of the 5 nights we were there. Grocery bill was $120 for the week. Ate out at Liberty Steakhouse and Brewery in Broadway at the Beach and it cost us $135 for dinner. Excellent dinner out, but you can go broke feeding my boys.

1 Thank The-Flying-Circus
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I have to agree with everything TravelGuru1 just stated about this resort - we LOVED every bit of it! We just got back from staying there 3 nights ago and miss it already. We are already planning a return visit we enjoyed it so much.

This resort is VERY easy to find and is very close to the airport – I think it took us 5 to 7 minutes to get back to the airport for our return flight. Since we moved from another place (Plantation Resort – Yuck!) early on Thursday morning we arrived at 11:00 a.m. Our room was not ready but they put an ASAP cleaning request for us, took our cell phone numbers and told us they would call us when the room was ready. We could have used the pool facilities until then but we went over to my sister’s hotel and hung out at the beach instead. Low and behold a couple hours later they called to say our room was ready.

There are 8 buildings at this resort and I believe all of them have a view of one of the pools. We were in building “F” in unit number 422, which was a 2 bedroom unit and we had a perfect view of the “big” lagoon pool. When we walked in we were thrilled with the accommodations. Bright, airy, tons of natural light and very tastefully decorated. Everything about our unit was new and in perfect condition – including the fireplace that my 14 year old son HAD TO TURN ON! We were on the top floor and it had a screened in porch so you didn’t have to worry about bugs!

There was a large king master bedroom with beautiful solid wood furnishings, huge Jacuzzi tub with a separate shower/toilet area and a large vanity. The second bedroom had another king bed in it and a nice size window to let light in. The second bathroom was large and was more than enough for the kids. The living room was very spacious with a sofa sleeper, super comfortable chairs and a fireplace. The dining room had a great table with 6 chairs and there were 2 barstools at the kitchen counter. The kitchen was a perfect size for us and had every utensil available that you we needed. There was a hall closet that had a vacuum, iron and ironing board as well as a broom and dustpan. There was another closet by the 2nd bedroom that held the washer and dryer in it. The only disappointing thing I can think of was that they did NOT provide you with any “starter” laundry soap.

The big pool was indeed large but did get quite busy as it had the pool bar at it. One thing I didn’t necessarily agree with is that the big lagoon pool has the bar so there are a lot of people drinking and then there is the zero entry part of the pool that the little kids sit in. Why would you put little kids with the drinkers? I just thought this might lead to accidents with the little kids that could be avoided. Just my opinion. We spent most of our time at the other pool which is behind the Owners Club. The pool was very good size and you are able to go from the outside to the inside pool thru a narrow passage way which was very cool. It was 3 feet at the shallow end and 5 feet at the deep end that led you inside and then went back to 3 feet deep. There were tables and chairs inside if you didn’t want to be in the sun or you could enjoy the sun outside. There were plenty of lounge chairs outside and they had about 5 or 6 tables with umbrellas. They also had a large lazy river that my kids enjoyed the most. The water was nice and warm and was the largest lazy river I’ve seen at any of the properties in Myrtle Beach. Inside there is a deli that you can order breakfast or lunch at (a little more expensive than I thought but not crazy expensive) and they also sell t-shirts, hats, lotion etc. One thing that they don’t broadcast is that if you purchase a large fountain drink in there, you can keep the cup with you for the remainder of the day and have free refills of soda or lemonade ($2.24). Of course, we found that out on our last day!!!

Inside the Owners Club you will find a fitness room that had about 8 to 10 different machines, a sauna room (in the bathroom), a locker room with showers, an arcade room that had about 6 to 8 different games in it and a pool table. They do have free wireless internet aside from the Concierge desk – 2 computers but they don’t have printers. If you want to print your boarding passes, the Concierge will do it for you.
The beach is across the street (Ocean Boulevard) and they have a shuttle service that will take you over there. The Beach Club is not open as it will be under renovation soon. I was told (by Frank – the shuttle driver) that they will reopen next year after a complete overhaul. Good thing because it looks very dated and in need of much repair. The beach was great, found a few shells and had many beach activities for the kids.
We ate dinner at Damon’s across the street and were all stuffed when we left. My husband had the Ribs for dinner and thought they had a little too much vinegar in the sauce. Salads were excellent and were like miniature Cobb salads, the prime rib was very tender, pulled pork was awesome, shrimp was perfect and drinks were a little weak. We also had a Combo Platter for an appetizer and everyone scarfed that down! I had 2 cosmos and didn’t feel much of a buzz. My husband had 2 martinis and felt the same way I did. Normally, I’d be under the table by then! LOL.

We also ate at J. Edwards – don’t waste your money! Old and not worth the money.

Market Common was awesome – tons of popular shops, movie theatre’s and Cold Stone Creamery. Starbucks is in the Piggly Wiggly at Market Common. Important information there for my hubby!!! Broadway at the Beach was a lot of fun but wear your walking shoes. Ride Makerz was the highlight for our 10 year old son. Make your own car/ride – ala Build A Bear. Tons of places to eat and too many places to spend your money!! LOL

NASCAR which is across the street from Broadway was a total dive. I’m sorry if I offend anyone but it was filthy – worse than Chucky Cheese! I didn’t even want to sit down on a chair there for fear of what I might catch. Thank goodness there was a storm and they shut everything down before we paid for a wrist band. We were outta there!!!!

We drove past Family Kingdom and thought we’d be nuts to want to go there! Dirty, nasty and looked like your typical carnival – gross!!! Again, just my opinion!!

If you are happy hanging at the pool or going across the street to the beach – this is the place for you and no car is needed. The resort also has free shuttle service to the airport as well as to Market Commons! If you want to get out and do a little looking around – then you’ll need a car.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions!

Maryland
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Stayed at South Beach Resort in a 2 bdrm lockout with my parents and my 2 children (ages 7 & 16). The units were well equipped and very spacious. The reviews about the pillow are soooooo true. They need new ones for sure, but other than that - I found the condos to nice and comfortable. The resort is located off 29th Street, between 17 Business and Ocean Blvd. Resort was good location to the beach (directly across the street) in which the resort provided a daily shuttle to and from all day up to 7pm. Down the street from the new Market Commons area with shopping, new movie theatre (Grand 14), and restaurants. It was basically close enough to all the action without being smack in the middle of it. South Beach Resort has 3 pools (1 indoor pool), a lazy river, small gym, deli, sauna, gameroom, poolroom, and plenty of parking. There is also minature golf onsite (Jurrasic Golf). Across the street is the Beach Club where there is also a pool. The restaurant Damon's is next to it as well as the watersports vendor - banana boat, sailing, jetskis, parasail, kayak, etc. If you have teenagers, there is a great teen club (ages 13 thru 20) down in the thick of things on 11th & Ocean Blvd called Karma that my 16 year old had a ball at. The club is open every night from 7 - 12pm. Of course - Myrtle Beach has all the shopping you could ask for. Went to Barefoot Landing for the Monday night free fireworks show at 10:15 - very nice. Try to make it if you can - they do it Mondays up until Labor day I believe. All in all - I would definately return to this resort without thinking twice.

North Carolina
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Stayed here on in-laws points with extended family. We had a two-bedroom overlooking the owners club pool. Room was nice, and handled 8 easlily.

Property is easily accessible from 501, and within walking distance of Springmaid fishing pier. It is located next to the airport, so you will hear aiplanes taking off starting at 6:30 am, but it is not too bad.

They had great activities for kids such as macking freinship bracelets, and rootbeer floats. The lazy river is always fun, and the ladies even talked me into doing the lazy river walk one morning.

The bathrooms at the beach club are indeed shady/nasty. The beach access is an easy walk or shuttle bus away. THe beach itself has too many umbrellas, but that is Myrtle Beach for ya.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Holiday Inn at the Pavilion
Holiday Inn at the Pavilion
#16 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
Holiday Inn Oceanfront at Surfside Beach

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations South Beach Resort? Share your experiences!