“You Get What You Pay For...”

The Original Benjamin's Calabash Seafood
Ranked #137 of 930 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Soups
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Description: A landmark of the Grand Strand, The Original Benjamin's Calabash Seafood serves fresh local seafood daily. Our award-winning buffet is world-famous for introducing the Myrtle Beach area to cooking seafood Calabash style, which is lightly battered and deep-fried. If great food and a good time are what you're craving, then you've found the place. So sail on in for the adventures of a true nautical dining experience, and save room for an abundance of sensational food and memories
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I've tried out around 10 different seafood buffets at Myrtle Beach (with a focus on ones that offer crab legs on the buffet), and I can definitely say that Benjamin's is the best. Yes, they are pricer than what I would normally pay, but they are only a few dollars more than the CHEAPEST buffet with crab legs, but MUCH better than any other place. In response to the negative reviews, try going at a different time - if you are waiting until 6:00 to go to a popular buffet restaurant, then yes, you will experience a long wait and tons of people.

The pros of Benjamin's are the endless crab legs that are hot and always ready to go, and the wide variety of other foods. Everything that I tried was fresh and hot, and there was nothing wrong with any of the foods that I tried (and I tried a LOT!). It has been a couple of years since I have been to Benjamin's since I have been trying to find the cheaper places, but man, is it worth the extra few dollars. After my experiences at other seafood buffets the past two years, I will be only going to Benjamin's in the future.

The only real issue that I noticed was that the desserts were not as fresh as the rest of the food, and the ice cream machine did not have any vanilla available.

All in all, this was by far the best seafood buffet that I've had in Myrtle Beach, and after trying several others, Benjamin's will be my ONLY seafood buffet in Myrtle Beach in the future.

1  Thank Chad C
Write a ReviewReviews (2,325)

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Just returned from supper here and i have to tell you it is one of the best we have been to. We do a lot of seafood buffets on our travels and I have never had better crab legs. They were juicy and sweet, not to mention hot out of the steamer. I liked that they had a server there to portion them out so one person did not come and take the entire tray at once. Broiled, Fried seafood was average. The salmon was a bit dry but tasty. Also had prime rib, plenty of pasta, Mac and cheese, chicken to name a few non-seafood items. The service was friendly and efficient. Price was high but we used the coupon for $$ off. Family of four ate for about $150 with sodas and alcohol. Well worth the money considering some of the other buffets in town.

1  Thank Summerlove9
Reviewed July 9, 2013

At $30 per adult, we expected better quality. Of course, we expected a buffet which implies certain quality, but everything was overcooked, too salty and every dish tasted the same. Even plain crab legs seemed to have been overly salted. Very few options of seafood that were not fried. Despite early hour (4pm for dinner), the place was too busy. Long lines at food stations and very loud. Worst value meal of 2 weeks trip to east coast. Seafood was much better quality and value at many other places. Despite long line of desserts, nothing really worth taking. Staff were pleasant and attentive, no complaints there!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

visited on an early opening @ 3 and still busy, good food, crap legs excellant but @29+ a person not worth it, had 4 bucks off and the drinks r pricey. nice atmosphere but not laid out well, staff was great

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We waited for 70 minutes for a table, and actually stopped by the Mc D's next door for snack. It's cute for a visit but the serving stations are in close quaters and you can't move around the restaurants when crowded. Do want to say the wait staff were very accomadating though, and if you're in a mood for seafood on a dime, might recommend the Chinese Buffet close by. Alaskan Crab legs are crab legs anywhere you go.