“I'm Lovin It!”

Ranked #75 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
New York
“I'm Lovin It!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Checked out the reviews on this place 2 yrs. ago and last year we stayed at a Forest Dunes down the road. While here we road by Cabana Shores and I wondered why there was a lot of negative reviews. So This year I booked 9 dys here. Arrived yesterday. Staff at the lobby were very friendly and helpful. Love our room. I was afraid just getting an efficiency for myself and husband would be too small. Wrong! Room is spacious and the kitchenette area has all we need . Very roomy, clean, comfortable. Balcony and beautiful oceanfront view. We are semi retired working class people who save all year for vacation. This is very afforable and in an area where you are away from the busy doings of the center of Myrtle Beach, but still very close. I will write again with an update after I check out in 8 days, but I think we've found our every year getaway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank barbieq39

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

My mom and I booked a room at this hotel after waiting a little too long to book a room at our usual hotel (which was sold out). I am glad we did! Like most of the other reviews, it is definitely not like a resort...and I stress again if that is what you are going for, then this is not the hotel for you. I thought it was the perfect spot for my mother and I. Close enough to restaurants, a few grocery stores, and gas stations. We did not mind going across the busy road to the beach. I believe I had to watch out for walkers and runners more than cars.
My mom and I got a ocean front room that came with a frig and microwave and counter space. The room was large and had a nice flat screen tv. The bed was not the greatest by my mom standards but it was a bed. I wish I would have packed an extra blanket because the bedspreads were your average hotel bedspreads. Not sure where they have been and if they were washed. If you are a bath towel person, I would bring your own. They only had two bath towels, two wash cloths and a hand towel but it was enough for my mom and I. Yes, the rooms may need a deeper cleaning in the corners but overall a nice place to stay at.
The best part about it was the price especially for what it was worth. I will be back to this place at some point in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lifeisgood905
Swanton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We just returned from a trip to Myrtle Beach. We chose this hotel because of pictures and reviews. Reviews are pretty correct...do not expect luxury. What you will get instead is a quiet, comfortable room with friendly employees. The rooms are fine but have no frills. Bed were nothing special...but were not lumpy so we need to give thanks for that! The room did have a mini kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave and coffee maker. Facility also did have small laundry facilities for an extra charge as well. Pool was clean, clear and NOT cold! No hair dryer in the bathroom, so make sure you bring your own.

We could not get the WiFi to work in our room (and we were facing the ocean) so don't plan on getting on the internet unless you use the guest computer in the lounge.

My only disappointment was this hotel said "Ocean Front"...this is semi-true. We did have an ocean view room. However, you do have to cross Ocean Blvd to get to the beach. There is a little pathway or a boardwalk of some sort for you to get to the beach. So each morning, we did have to take all of our beach stuff across the street to get over to the beach. Traffic on Ocean Blvd is scattered, but fast. It's not a street that I would allow my 7 year old to cross on his own. Most people were aware and cautious that people would be crossing the street, but not everyone is alert or considerate.

Overall, I was happy with the hotel and the staff. Housekeepers were very friendly and accommodating. I would recommend hotel if you were vacationing on a budget. However, if you want luxury, this place is not for you. It's also quite a distance from the Boardwalk and Grand Strand. Definitely a car ride to get to the attractions.

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are the ones that face the ocean. Ocean side is a side angle view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jenni N
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because the dance competition my daughter was in suddenly changed our schedule and we had to cancel a reservation on a different hotel due to lack of availability. This hotel saved us by having almost-last-minute vacancy for a busy period (Fourth of July). Let me start saying about the pros: the price was very reasonable for the period, the beach was not as nearly as busy as south of the area, making it for a very quiet time, the rooms were clean and the staff was attentive and very nice. As for the cons: the hotel is not directly at the beach, you have to cross a 2-lane road that is not very busy (no biggie, even with kids), the WiFi didn't reach our side view room (thanks Lord for 3G), the safe was the size of a wallet (didn't fit anything we wanted to lock) and the hotel is pretty old and dated (albeit not having any foul smell).
HINTS:
(a) if you definitely want WiFi - go with a front view room, the antenna is located at the pool and the signal does not go through the concrete walls to the side rooms;
(b) if you don't mind about WiFi - the side view rooms have a decent balcony that can see the ocean, so it's a good deal;
(c) the hotel is located in a residential area, with nothing really close, so you will need to have a car during your stay for everything;
(d) the front view rooms on the 1st floor are directly at the pool - open the door and you will be at it;
(e) however the disadvantage of the 1st floor front view is that you don't really have an ocean view because of the pool furniture and the palmetto trees;
(f) stay away of the rooms next to the elevator! That's where the garbage cans are (ie, potential for foul smells and roaches!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank CLT-GIG
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

I knew the property was older but was terribly disappointed by the lack of maintenance. The sole elevator on this 6-story hotel was out of service 3 of our 7 days. The bathtub had a chunk of rust on one end and more rust along the edge by the door. There was no table on the narrow balcony. Wifi access signal did not reach all of the rooms. The pool and the beach access were great and the staff was friendly and helpful, but the place itself is just a cheapo motel room by the sea. Rating it even as "average" is a bit of a gift.

Room Tip: Spring for a few bucks more to get the oceanfront rooms. The view is worth it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomasville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed at Cabana Shores June 15-17, 2012 after researching many hotels this sounded like a good choice for my fiance & I. We arrived about 2:45 (15 mins before check-in) and we were allowed to check into our room. The desk staff were always friendly. I knew to expect an older hotel before I got there. The pool was very well kept although I did not get in during my stay. I reserved the ocean view efficiency room and it was just that. I had a side view of the ocean, my balcony only had one chair. Some parts of the room needed updating but nothing about my stay made me turn up my nose. I did purchase an air freshener. Standard beds and bathroom. The kitchen had everything I needed for cooking breakfasts and one dinner. 3 pans with lids, 1 small skillet, baking sheet. 4 plates, 3 bowls, cups, oven mit, utensils, spatula, can opener, they covered the basics. Cabana Shores is more for those looking for clean, quiet, relaxation without a lot of frills. I never heard neighbors or people outside my door. I was pleased with my stay and was very economical. Close to everything but tucked in a more residential area which I loved. The beach access was great, not crowded at all. If you like being away from the busy strip but still close to everything I would highly suggest Cabana Shores. Again it's not a lot to this hotel but it was just a very peaceful, basic, clean hotel which was exactly what I was going for.

Room Tip: If I ever stay again I will get an ocean front room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SherriaF
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

When I first came, there was a smell of mildew. There was only one elevator and the "deluxe room" was smaller than the smallest rooms in other hotels. The ceiling had three holes in it where a fan would of been. There was dust everywhere and dirty comforters(they didn't change the comforters the whole time I was there). I stayed at a motel that was $75 a night for its smallest room and it had better service, cleaness, and a larger size room than this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012