“Pirateland Disapponintment”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Myrtle Beach
Pirateland Oceanfront Campground
Toms River, New Jersey
“Pirateland Disapponintment”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

As a Viet Nam veteran was not informed of discount for vet upon arrival, found out afterward. The site given right next to bathroom building, all day long and into night have to put up with bathroom visitors, site no very clean, the shelter units worn out etc. grass area has these so call stick ? that if you get them in your rv carpet they are had to get out, also gets into your dogs hair, beach area very short and for the likes of me, for this size part, it has only limited beach entry ways, small path
Also I was amazed that kids ride bikes, lets just say they are all over the place, really have to watch for them and the many golf carts, across from our site we also had some tent residents and they had stuff thrown all over the place, I was under the impression tents are in specific areas not mixed in with RVs. We originally stayed in North Myrtle beach at a RV park on the beach which put this place to shame, will not stay at Pirateland again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank wolf z
VCarmody, Guest Relations Manager at Pirateland Oceanfront Campground, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for reviewing the park. We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay. For the past few years before Memorial weekend and after Labor Day we’ve offered a 10% discount on campsites to AAA, AARP, Good SAMS members, and active Military and Veterans. This special is posted on our website specials page and we aim to mention it to customers making reservations. I’m sure we did/or would have given you the discount if this was brought to our attention. If guests are unhappy with their site we encourage them to let us know before setting up. This way we may be able to find a more accommodating site. This may not always be the case when it’s very busy. Also, if you reserve seven nights or more you have the option to select a specific site number based on availability. The sand spurs are very prevalent this year. They come from plants on the dunes that help protect the park from storm surge. A suggestion for future travelers that see them on their site: if you drag a towel or blanket across your site it will help collect them. Of course you also may call us and we’ll send someone by to take care of it! We have a lot of visiting families when kids are on break from school so future travelers should expect a lot of activity during such times. Other times of the year are a little more relaxing and quiet. We hope you return to the Myrtle Beach area and enjoy future visits!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Czech first
eastcoast usa
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

this past week was our first stay at pirateland oceanfront campgrounds. we were unsure what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised.its a most reasonably priced oceanfront campground, clean, friendly staff, huge outdoor pool and wonderful lazy river, nicely heated indoor pool(at least it felt heated, not too warm just right). the sites are not small but the kinda close together and we knew this was going to be because it's resort town, s o that's okay. and even our inland site was just a short walk to the beach that was a plus plus! Would go there again in a heartbeat:-)

• Stayed May 2013
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have been coming to Pirateland for at least 15 year, and we love it. If we did not go to Pirateland one summer our summer just would not be the same. There are always things to do for both adults and children. I wanted to write this to give people an honest review of what Pirateland really is like. The location is great, the campground is really close to all the attractions, it is close to grocery stores, and it is right on the beach! The sites are rather small and close together but they are still big enough. Some of them have concert pads and some have picnic tables with shelters, there are also rental homes. The sites have full hook up, cable, and wifi. Every time we have been there the wifi has worked very well although we did not spend a lot of time on the computer. There are bathhouses everywhere you are never very far from one. The bathhouse are okay, they are better than some I have seen, but they could still use a little extra cleaning. Like any bath house I think you should take flip flops or some sort of shoes to keep from stepping on the bathhouse floor because lets be honest that's nasty. The bathhouse do have benches, locks, shower curtains, and hooks. The pool, lazy river, putt putt, playground, and arcade are all very well kept and clean. The lazy river is so much fun. The only negative thing about the pool and the lazy river is that both can get very crowded, they have and adults only lazy river for an hour starting at 5pm. The arcade mainly has skee ball and pool tables however it is still so much fun. They have a snack bar inside the arcade that has everything from pizza to gyros to ice cream. Everything is delicious especially the ice cream. Pirateland also a camp store that pretty much has anything that you can forget along with souvenirs and candy. The campground will have a flier at the store filled with that weeks activities. The activities are great for the kids and they always have good prizes. As for the golf carts sometimes people do get a little crazy with them so you still need to keep a close eye on young kids but it is not so bad that you cannot get out and walk of ride bikes. They have an 11 o'clock quiet which is pretty strictly enforced. They always stop the golf cart parade at 11 but it normally takes around 30 minutes for everyone to get quiet. If you stay off the main roads noise should not be a problem at all. Overall it is a great campground but yes there are things they should work on. If you are thinking about staying there chances are you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Any site that's beach area is great
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank amdawnda1
Millersville, Maryland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I couldn't wait to take our new travel trailer to one of our favorite destinations, Myrtle Beach. We were extremely impressed with the campground. The staff were very friendly and more than willing to accommodate our campsite request - keep in mind that we were traveling pre-season and there were plenty of open campsites, so this may not be the case in the height of the season. We had a premium, ocean front site, which meant that we were closest to the service road and dune that separated the campground from the beach (I'm not sure I'd pay the extra for the ocean front in the future, but it was very convenient). The site was well-maintained and fairly level. We had a covered picnic area, and the campground has cable and wifi. The beach was quite nice. With only a few private homes and a park to the north and other campgrounds to the south, the area is fairly private and clean. The weather wasn't conducive to trying the lazy river or even the paddle boats, but we were able to ride our bikes throughout the campground and assess the amenities. All are very well maintained. The camp store is well-stocked and priced fairly reasonably. We will definitely return!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Debbie P
North Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This was to be a trip where we could visit with our friends from Liverpool, who have a yearly timeshare in Mrrels Inlet. This is only our 3rd trip with our camper and we enjoyed it immensely. The staff was very friendly and polite. The site we had been looking at was already taken and our secondary site was on reserve. The staff at the counter then offered another site that after looking at it, was acceptable. I would recommend that the reservation policy be changed from a week to a weekend. There are alot of people like us that only camp for the weekend or a 3 day weekend and not for a whole week. We didn't have the opportunity to use any of the facilities, however we had a great trip and was always met with a friendly smile when dealing with staff members, whoever they were. We had no problems with quiet hours. After 11pm all was quiet except for a few fireworks of in the distance. We will definately be back. Thank you for the memories.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GARY0531411
VCarmody, Guest Relations Manager at Pirateland Oceanfront Campground, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
We appreciate your review of the park! Thanks for your feedback on our reservation policy. Currently we allow reservation by site number for stays that are 7 nights or more. For shorter stays we reserve by area and will take requests. We'll pass along your compliments to the crew and hopefully next time you can enjoy more of the park's amenities!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice Family atmosphire. Kids everywhere, Great place to camp and get away for the weekend. Lots of stuff to do with the family in the camp ground, never really had to leave. close drive to all of Myrtle Beaces Attractions. Staff was friendly and very helpfull.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 505beachbum
Thanks for taking the time to review the park! It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay and the convenience of our location! We hope to see you again soon!
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Okay I have been going to PirateLand for 38 years now. I started coming at 6 months old and continue now with my own family. A Myrtle Beach trip is a hallmark of our summer ...and it wouldn't be a Myrtle Beach trip without staying at PirateLand (Although there were 2 summers where we had to stay at Ocean Lakes because we had pets and needed a beach house for 8 people...and we missed PirateLand so much during those trips that we'd visit the campground).
Over the years I’ve watched PirateLand grow from a popular campground with a line of trailers down Ye Olde King’s Highway waiting in line to get a reserve spot in the overflow area of the campground until someone checked out and they could get a real site to the current popular campground where we can actually make reservations!
I’ve seen it go from dirt roads to paved, from a small square kiddie pool to kiddie pool with a waterfall and a lazy river for adults as well as an indoor pool, from Skeleton Island to Skeleton Point back to Skeleton Island (although technically now a point), from a small pink ice cream stand by the pool (which I miss) to a full service snack bar.
Through all the changes PirateLand has been like a second home to me. I proposed to my wife there and the staff remembers that year to year even though it’s been a decade now. So I thought I’d take you on a little tour of PirateLand (I’ll try to be objective to uphold my journalistic integrity…my wife is good at keeping me in check on these kinds of things by saying “Honey your just being nostalgic…that’s crap.”). So here we go.
The location is perfect. You’re halfway between North Myrtle Beach and Murrell’s Inlet/Pawley’s Island. Access to the highway is about 5 minutes away. So, it’s a good central location…and, of course, it’s right on the ocean. As you pull in you are greeted to a crisp, clean check-in office with a friendly security staff waving you in. The check-in office has been renovated a few years ago and the inside evokes the feelings of a nautical harbor port…under pirate attack. Check in is always quick and courteous but starts promptly at 3:00 I believe. We have in the past been allowed in a few hours early to walk around if we get there too early (Sometimes it’s hard to judge a 10-12 hour drive with a 3 year old).
Now, for years growing up we camped and we’ve stayed all over that place. So I have decades of experience at camping in PirateLand. There are two ways you can go here. You can camp near the ocean in the blazing sun or under the shady trees closer to the pool. There are pros and cons to each. By the ocean, it is hot and if you stay right on the beach road there will be golf carts. Most of these sites, though, do have a shelter with a picnic table and for the most part this area is where you find the big RVs with AC anyways. If you stay more inland, which I prefer, its about a 5 minute walk to the beach but you get the nice cool shade, and it’s quieter…unless you stay right on Market Street or PirateLand Trail. But for your best bet, there are some prime lots right along Long Bay Lake, which are shaded, closer to the beach, less crowded and the most scenic.
One thing I’ll note about camping at PirateLand that differs from other campgrounds are that the lots are roughly the same size but not regimentally squared off with the water and sewer hook ups uniformly in the same place. There is good and bad to this as some campers may not fit in all spaces and the set up may not be best for your vehicle. However, by being able to arrange your camper any way it will fit enables most people to kind of block out their neighbors and create their own customizable space. I actually like it this way. I enjoy having my own unique lot and set up.
On to the bath houses: They are somewhat dated although they have been refurbished about 8 years ago with AC. PirateLand does a good job with keeping these cleaned as they are hosed down and bleached multiple times a day. The other nice thing is there is always a bath house with in about 3 minutes of anywhere you are in the campground. They are comparable, if not better than what I have seen in my camping travels except for the one place that actually does a bathhouse right: Disney’s Fort Wilderness.
The villas: We have been staying in the villas for about 10 years now. There really isn’t much to improve on them. They are clean, have cable television…basically all the amenities of home, or a hotel, but with the benefits of a campground.
I’d like to address a common complaint that I see about every campground in Myrtle Beach: golf carts and fireworks. Yup, they have both of those. There is a nightly golf cart parade of loud teenagers and adults driving all around (but mainly along the ocean and PirateLand Trail). Honestly, I would be terrified of having my three year old near the roads at this time. BUT, that’s my responsibility and I don’t want her around the road in front of my home either. The golf carts and noise stop at 11:00. I have seen this consistently upheld year after year. So, to me it’s not a big deal: some people like to sit around have a few beers and relax at their site, some like to drive back and forth like a taxi at the airport….to each their own. As for fireworks, yup people light off bottle rockets at the beach at night until about 11:00. They aren’t loud, they aren’t huge boomers and they aren’t within PirateLand’s jurisdiction to control (the beach is regulated by the police and sheriff depts.)
The amenities: PirateLand has 2 pools, an indoor pool and an outdoor pool with a lazy river and a nice kiddie pool. I’ve never not found a deck chair at the pool but it does get crowded. Both are clean and nice and I have no complaints about them. There is a mini-golf course that is naturally pirate themed. A staple of PirateLand, to me, is the Blackbeard statue towering over the golf course. Of course he was damaged a few years ago and since being repaired they have painted him like a cowboy (I hope they change him back to his classic colors one day). They have an arcade that mainly has skee ball and pool tables and air hockey (who needs arcade machines these days) and a full service snack bar with burgers, chicken, pizza and ice cream. There is a general store and a laundromat that I find to be quite adequate. Also there are multiple playgrounds all over the campground.
Now to make PirateLand better:
Open a snackbar by the beach. I don’t know how this wasn’t done already and can only assume it would be quite busy and profitable.
Update the bathhouses again.
Add more foliage, plants and greenery to the pool area (cheap fix that would add a lot of atmosphere).
Get new mattresses in the villas. Mattresses need replaced about every 3-5 years in accomodations
Make a few villas pet friendly. Certainly there are enough renters who wouldn’t mind using a pet villa. They are excluding people here (we’ve been forced to use Ocean Lakes for just this reason). Since they aren’t carpeted they’d be easy to clean.
Add a rollerblade hockey area. It's the tennis of the 2010's!
Have nightly or weekly bonfires at the beach.
Bring back the icecream parlor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank sublimesting
VCarmody, Guest Relations Manager at Pirateland Oceanfront Campground, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. Our compliments go out to you as this is one of the most well written, accurate reviews we have ever read about our park! Your descriptions of the different site areas and our amenities are spot on and will surely help future visitors. The feedback you provided on how we may improve is much appreciated. Each year we look at suggestions and other feedback to determine what changes, updates, etc. should be made. This year we updated fixtures and plumbing in most of the bathhouses. We are phasing in new furniture to the vacation rentals and will continue this process over the next few years. Currently, Horry County beach ordinances prohibit fires on the beach; but we’ll talk with the crew about other ways we may be able to create the same kind of atmosphere within the park. All of your suggestions are appreciated and we thank you for your patronage over the years!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Myrtle Beach
#64 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
Coral Beach Resort & Suites
Coral Beach Resort & Suites
#12 of 209 in Myrtle Beach

Been to Pirateland Oceanfront Campground? Share your experiences!