“Can't judge a book by it's cover”
Review of City Studios

City Studios
Ranked #169 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Have stayed here when it was a Microtel but now under new ownership. What a change from before. Hotel is understaffed as rooms cleaned every third day. Had to seek clean towels and TP. Don't be late to breakfast as it goes quickly and little is replenished. Common areas not clean. Will say though staff is friendly, but all the negatives overwhelm you. Good price but suggest you stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't think there is a good room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sfiaman

Reviewed August 10, 2013

It was Tax Free Weekend and due to a family situation, I was in need of a place to stay in Myrtle Beach. Hotel rooms were at a premium, as were the rates! For the outrageous $125 I paid for a night's stay at this dump, I had a very uncomfortable experience. First, although I booked online with my American Express card, it could not be processed once I arrived at the place due to a "technical" issue. Secondly, when I arrived in the room, I tested the shower and the shower head fell off into the tub! After I managed to reattach it, I found the water would only come out with a brute force---there was no adjusting it. The shower curtain would not stay stretched out and sagged toward the middle. There was an old tv propped way on top of a sort of wardrobe---not sure if it was even bolted down. I opened the window and discovered that there was no screen and I was on the third floor! Thank god I wasn't traveling with kids. Carpeting looked newer, but like the pictures in frames on the walls, was all bunched up. Sheets had obviously been washed 100's of times, so thin! Although there were 2 beds, only one blanket was provided. There was a small table & 2 chairs in the room that almost collapsed when I set my purse on it. Very disgusting place to stay. DO NOT LET THE FREE INCLUDED BREAKFAST TEMPT YOU TO STAY HERE!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nancy1275
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We are a family of 3 and we NEVER get vacations. My boyfriend and I both work 2 jobs and my son is in school, and has baseball. My boyfriend had to work at the racetrack with a race team a few weeks ago so we decided to make a vacation out of it. We ended up having to stay here our 3rd night. The man that said he was a manager gave us a discount since my boyfriend worked with a race team. He asked him to spread the word about the discount but we will most definitely not recommend to anyone. The man that activated our key wrote 205 on the paper and when we arrived that night to settle for the night, our key wouldnt work. So he took it to the front desk and they reacctivated it but for a room that was taken! The man wrote 205 but actually activated it for 207 and we almost walked in on someone else! Thank goodness the husband walked up as we were trying to get in the room! I unfolded the sleeper sofa and there was a huge yellow stain and the smell of fresh pee was terrible! The man had to bring us a brand new mattress. I went to sleep and woke up at 5 to my son asking me to come lay in bed with him. As soon as I got into bed the top comforter smelled like men had went jogging with no deodorant and decided to wipe their underarms on the blanket! I ripped it off the bed almost to tears that my son had slept under it all night! I took it to the front desk and the lady acted like it was normal and didn't seem to care. She asked if I wanted her to bring me the blanket once she washed it, um NO! In the morning I asked for the manager and the girls gave me the run around and acted like they didn't know who their manager was. I will never in my life stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandie E
Reviewed August 21, 2012

It a great hotel and the location is good,but the fron t desk emloyee need to take a coarse on customer skill,the are not friendly at all,the dont even great there guess properly,and alway looking mad as thou they dont want to be at work may they need to be cleaning the room and let the clean people do the customer service,they where more friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Went to Tangier Outlet with friends for a few days, and decided to stay here because it was walking distance to the outlets and a couple of restaurants. Just let me start by saying that I wish I had taken some pictures to prove I am not exaggerating, because even I have a hard time believing reviews like this. I must say that the ladies at the front desk were very friendly and helpful, and we had no complaints about the quality of the customer service. The carpets and furniture are worn, but that is to be expected in an older place. The room prices are very reasonable, so I didn't expect everything to be shiny and new. But there is a huge difference between worn and JUST PLAIN NASTY. I am not one to complain about little things, and I know you get what you pay for; but no one should have to pay for pure filth! The housekeepers at this place are so gawd-awful crummy at their jobs that I cannot even find words to describe it; all I can say is that they, and the management of this hotel, should be embarrassed. I am not sure if the health department inspects hotels in SC, but if they do, I am amazed this place is still open. It was some of the worst housekeeping I have EVER seen in a hotel, and I have stayed in quite a few in the past 40 years.
We took a DVD player with us to watch movies, and when I went to plug it into the back of the TV there was so much dust on the shelf and behind the TV that it actually rolled up under my hand when I ran it across the shelf. There was hair in the bathtub and on the bathroom floor, the toilet seat had been wiped on top but had not been lifted because it was disgusting underneath, there was a congealed glob of shampoo in the tub (or at least I hope it was shampoo, it sudsed up when we rinsed it out anyway), and several little flecks of toothpaste in the sink and spattered on the mirror. There were little pieces of trash on the floor around the edges of the beds, and under the tables and chairs - it was obvious it had not been vacuumed very well. One of the beds looked like the sheets had not been changed since the last guest because they were wrinkled as if someone had slept on them, then just remade the bed - rather sloppily I might add. Housekeeping never came to the room the entire time we were there, not even to offer to empty the trash. We had to go to the front desk to ask for clean towels and coffee.
It is unfortunate that the management lets this continue, because the rooms are decent size, and this could be a really nice place if it were kept up and CLEANED; it would be well worth the money because it is so close to the outlets and only a few minutes the beach and some of the major attractions in Myrtle Beach. However, unless they get rid of those nasty, inept housekeepers, I will not go back.

Room Tip: If you are going to brave this place, take some cleaning supplies with you.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank covermeimgoingin
Reviewed November 16, 2011

My husband and I had to make a quick trip to the beach and not pay too much for the stay. Booked microtel online for a great price but reviews really scared me! Boy, do people exaggerate or plain lie. We had a marvelous exsperience there. Deb @ front was the BEST! She upgraded us free of charge to a suite(very nice and clean) and had refreshments on our arrival. Everything was nice and lobby was warm and inviting and smelled great! Very pleased with our stay.The only problem we had was understanding the other employee on the late shift ( garbled speech ) and attitude, other than that, great.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank chelsea c
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This is the filthest hotel, I have every stayed in. Whomever the housekeeper is that is responsible for this room, needs to be reprimanded and fired. We booked two rooms here at this hotel, Rooms 333 and Room 307. The sheets on all three beds were dirty. On one bed there was pee on the pillow case, sheets and covers. The other bed had stains, dirt and hair. The front desk staff told us we had to take our own covers down stairs to be washed and come back down to get them when they were done to make our own bed. The bathroom had rings in the shower and we had to get cleaning materials to clean our own bathroom. The staff stated that the housekeeping was not doing there job and was very apoligetic but it doesn't take away from the filth of the hotel. It was 11pm and we had drove from over 3 and half hours away and our other family drive from 7 hours away and there were not other hotels with availability or we would have left, even after paying. Although this is a budget friendly hotel, I have stayed at many less expensive hotels around the world which were 10 times cleaner then your property here in the Myrtle Beach area(Conway, SC). I have stayed and this hotel before over 2 years ago and did not have this issue, so I know it is either poor management or poor employees or both, whatever the case it needs to be resolve swiftly.

Room Tip: Staff help...but find another place to stay
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family