“Super Expensive for what you get what you pay for -”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 894 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 50th Ave. N & Kings Hwy.
Description: There's just something about a fondue pot that invites conversation. Invites laughter. Invites coming together. At The Melting Pot Restaurant, we offer a dining experience like no other. A unique, interactive dining experience creating memorable moments with family and friends. From the time the first piece of bread is dipped and the last piece of dessert is savored, you'll be graced with the time to discover new things about people you thought you knew. And, those you're getting to know. We are the premier fondue restaurant where guests can enjoy a choice of fondue cooking styles and a variety of unique entrees, salads and indulgent desserts. It's up to you. Tailor your visit with a four-course dining experience including cheese fondue, salad, entree and dessert. Or, come by for fondue cheese paired with that perfect glass of wine from our extensive selection. That's not to say, we haven't had more than a few stop by to satisfy that chocolate craving after a movie. Whether you're celebrating romance, a birthday or anniversary - or just a night out while the babysitter is in charge - we offer something truly unique. An opportunity to interact and connect while experiencing all fondue has to offer. We look forward to your visit.
Winston-Salem,NC
“Super Expensive for what you get what you pay for -”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

the experience and the fun of it - unfortunately- there were kids in there with bad parents - you know parents who cannot parent. We had lobster and seafood - great, fresh food - dark choc. fondue dessert - all yummy and left full- nice dinner and like I said, fun too

Visited August 2014

Macungie, Pennsylvania
“Yes, you will cook your own dinner!”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I do not understand the negative reviews wherein people complain "It's too expensive and I shouldn't have to cook my own dinner". When my children were growing up in the seventies, inviting a couple over for fondue was a common occurrence and no one complained that I didn't cook the meal. How else do you serve fondue? On a recent vacation to Myrtle Beach my husband and I tried The Melting Pot and couldn't have had a finer time or better food. We ordered The Feast, which costs $91 for two people (there are cheaper choices). It includes four courses. The first course was a cheese fondue and you have several choices, but there is only one built-in heating element per table so you have to agree on which one you want. We had the cheddar sauce and it was delicious. They prepare the sauce in your fondue pot and then bring you a bowl of bread chunks, some granny smith apples and some raw carrots, broccoli and cauliflower for dipping. Although there is beer in the sauce I did not taste it (and never having had a beer in my life I think I would have if it had been too strong). The second course is salad. For the third course you choose what you want to cook your meat and vegetables in and there are several choices. We chose the seasoned vegetable broth but there were several spicier choices if you like that sort of flavor. The food cooked in the broth did NOT taste like boiled meat, and you also have a choice of 6 dipping sauces. The Feast includes filet mignon, shrimp, lobster tail, teriyaki steak and chicken, and the quality of the meat and seafood was superior. They also bring potatoes, mushrooms and vegetables to cook in the broth. They give you instructions on how long to cook everything, which ranges from 1 - 3 minutes except for the potatoes and mushrooms which take around 10 minutes. It is easy to figure out how long it takes for the degree of rarity in your meat that you want. They give you 3 color coded skewers each so you can cook as many things at a time as you wish. By rotating the skewers you can keep the food cooking at a rate that matches your dining pace. For dessert they bring a plate of strawberries, bananas, pineapple, pound cake, brownies, blondies, marshmallows and rice krispies treats and you choose what kind of chocolate you wish to dip them in. We had the dark chocolate and it was delicious. The servers are very helpful and make it a very pleasant experience. I don't think $45.50 per person is so outrageous for the food you get, especially because it includes appetizer and dessert. When I return home from vacation I plan to visit The Melting Pot in Bethlehem, PA and expect I will be just as well pleased.

3 Thank Patricia P
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Disappointing First Time”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I'm a local, and have always wanted try The Melting Pot for myself; even after hearing not so positive reviews. I knew it would be an experience, but didn't know it would be such a disappointing one. We did the 4 course meal which ended up being way too expensive for what we got. The basic cheese fondue appetizer was so overpowering with the beer flavor, it just wasn't enjoyable. The salads were basic....nothing special but still tasty. The entrees were the biggest disappointment because you basically boil your meat, whether it's steak, shrimp, or chicken. It was as bland and chewy as you can get. You should never boil steak....even if you do offer a sampling of different sauces......that would give anyone a clue when you have to mask the flavor and textures of your entrees with sauces. The one saving grace was the dessert.....which I wish we only did. That was good.......but the individual price for just the dessert fondue is waaaay too expensive. Be prepared to wait a very long time. Although our server was very personable.....the wait time between courses was ridiculous. He would say he was bringing us more water but then wouldn't show up for a long time. This was definitely a one time thing for me.

3 Thank CCorella
Vernon D, Owner at The Melting Pot, responded to this review, December 21, 2015
CCorella, I am also a "local" as well as a Myrtle Beach Native, I understand your concerns, but want to address some of your misapprehensions about Fondue. The "Fondue Chinoise" style of cooking you describe is actually an ancient Asian style of cooking that westerners referred to as "Asian Hot Pot", the Swiss and French adopted this style of cooking centuries later. Food is not "Boiled", so much as it is braised and quick-stewed in flavored bouillons, these add more flavors to each and ever piece of food you cook. This offers a far lighter and healthier alternative to frying or grilling.

We also like to think that the romantic, relaxed, two hour dining experience, with exceptional service, that we provide is different and more desirable than a plate of food dropped in front of you with the expectation that you will be gone in 30 minutes.

We know we aren't for everyone, we know, but we are proud to fill our particular niche.

We hope you will try us again on a special occasion.
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Fun place to eat”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We are Melting Pot regulars in our home town, so we were pleased to find one in Myrtle Beach. We normally eat dinner here, but this time we just came for dessert which is always yummy and fun! Our kids love "dipping" so it is entertainment as well as tasty. Definitely make reservations and plan time to enjoy the meal.

Maine
“Special Occasion”
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Love the Melting Pot no matter what state you try. First visit at the Myrtle Beach location and not disappointed. Had a great time celebrating my birthday. Nice atmosphere and great good. Be prepared to spend $ - we typically visit the Melting Pot only on special occasions so if you know that going in you will be fine. Two bottles of wine, beer, cheese fondue, salads, "the feast" for two and a chocolate fondue with a bill of $250. The food was sooooo good though and great service!