“Mediocre restaurant in Myrtle Beach”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 905 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 50th Ave. N & Kings Hwy.
Description: There's just something about a fondue pot that invites conversation. Invites laughter. Invites coming together. At The Melting Pot Restaurant, we offer a dining experience like no other. A unique, interactive dining experience creating memorable moments with family and friends. From the time the first piece of bread is dipped and the last piece of dessert is savored, you'll be graced with the time to discover new things about people you thought you knew. And, those you're getting to know. We are the premier fondue restaurant where guests can enjoy a choice of fondue cooking styles and a variety of unique entrees, salads and indulgent desserts. It's up to you. Tailor your visit with a four-course dining experience including cheese fondue, salad, entree and dessert. Or, come by for fondue cheese paired with that perfect glass of wine from our extensive selection. That's not to say, we haven't had more than a few stop by to satisfy that chocolate craving after a movie. Whether you're celebrating romance, a birthday or anniversary - or just a night out while the babysitter is in charge - we offer something truly unique. An opportunity to interact and connect while experiencing all fondue has to offer. We look forward to your visit.
Reviewed March 22, 2008

Mediocre. It was my worst dining experience. The waiter Steve was very rude, he took the cheese fondue right off the table without asking us. He made the atmosphere un-inviting, he was intentionally clumsy by dropping utensils on the table etc. Mind you check their utensils before using it. I had to have him bring us a new set, so filthy and disgusting.
Lets go on to the food... cheese and bread... nothing special, unsavory. The flavored broth mix was too salty that it shouldn't be served. The beef and seafood was disappointing... NO FLAVOR!!!!!!! Finally, the dessert, the chocolate was not delicious, it was just cheap sweet chocolate. Clearly this is a place you wouldn't want to dine-in. Unremarkable restaurant in Myrtle.

3  Thank michelin3
Write a ReviewReviews (1,288)

Reviewed March 19, 2008

My husband, son and I went to the melting pot on Tuesday night. We wanted have a lite meal of Cheese and Chocolate fondue. We were sat by the manager and proceeded to wait over 10 minutes for Danielle to come help us. When she showed up we were ready to order and move ahead. It was like she would forget us for periods of time. My husband ordered a salad which took 15 minutes to make it to the table , we watched a table come in after us and speed right through things. The night just lingered on and on. The food was great but the service needs help.

2  Thank kling
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 12, 2008

Excellent can only describe this upscale fodnue eatery!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 9, 2008

My wife and I ate here 3-different times and each time was great. Great atmosphere and great food. Both locals and tourists will enjoy this as a great place to dine. Meals take awhile but you never feel rushed or out of place.

Reviewed September 16, 2007

With the abundance of restaurants in Myrtle Beach having a locals opinion could certainly help making that excellent dining choice. I hope this review does just that.

LOCATION: Above Average
The Melting Pot is located between 50th and 52nd Ave N. on Kings Hwy (17 Business) and is easily accessible from Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle alike.

WAIT TIME: Excellent (with reservations)
We had an 8:00pm reservation on a Friday, made 1 week in advance, and were seated immediately upon arrival. I overheard the host informing a party in front of us that the wait time for a table without reservations was between 45min to 1hour, not unusual for prime dining time at the beach. During the peak summer months I would expect the wait to be much longer. While the restaurant does seem to have plenty of seating I believe turnover of tables is few and far between because of the extended dining experience.

AMBIANCE/EXPERIENCE: Excellent
The Melting Pot truly is first class at providing a unique dining experience in a chic and modern atmosphere. The fondue for each course is prepared directly on a glass top burner cut into the center of your table. This in-itself provides a fun twist on dining. The high back booths seem to provide an intimate dining experience for each party. We were seated at a small "L" shaped booth made for 2, virtually secluded from the rest of the diners, an excellent location for a romantic dinner. I called in advance and inquired about any anniversary packages or perks they might have had. For $16 they arranged a balloon bouquet for the table (6 latex and 1 mylar "Happy Anniv." balloon), included a "Happy Anniv." card from the MP in the fold of the menu, and presented us with a very nice framed (high quality brushed metal frame) picture of us the server snapped somewhere after the first course. Well worth the $16 to really jazz up the anniversary dining experience.

SERVICE: Above Average
Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu, wine list, and the fondue process as a whole. There were two instances where I had an empty glass for about 5 minutes, but since the server prepares the fondue for each course at each table they are handling, I was willing to cut him a little slack.

THE MEAL: Above Average
We choose the "Big Night Out, Fondue Fusion" for our dining experience. This 4 course meal started with an Athenian salad, a basic romaine/iceberg salad topped with ham, pepperoni and roasted pepper served in a balsamic vinaigrette dressing. The salad was fresh and very tasty. After the salad our server whipped together a Mediterranean Cheese fondue served with a small selection of breads, green apples, and vegetables. This fondue was very good and the breads were fresh. Personally, we didn't eat many of the apple slices or the vegetables aiming to save room for the main course, but they were both very good. The main course was the Fondue Fusion which included a lobster tail, filet, sirloin, chicken, pork, shrimp, ravioli and vegetables. This sounds like a ton of food but was really presented rather "artistically" and didn't turn out to be as much as anticipated, especially since the meal was to feed two. There were approximately 2-4 bit sized pieces of each, served raw, which you are to cook in to fondue pot. The sirloin and filet were outstanding, the mushroom raviolis were excellent, and the chicken and pork were also very good. I wasn't very impressed with the fondued lobster or shrimp. I felt the fondue actually took away from the natural taste of each. However, my wife really enjoyed the shrimp. After the main course we were presented with the highlight of the evening, the Flaming Turtle dessert fondue. Now I am not a dessert person, so for me to rate this as the climax of the meal is impressive in it's own right. This fondue consisted of milk chocolate, caramel (which is ignited and poured out like a flaming waterfall over the melted chocolate) and pecans and is served with bananas, strawberries, mini brownies, cheese cake, marshmallows covered in oreo crumbs/vanilla wafers, and cookies. Dessert was plentiful and the brownies dipped in the dessert fondue took "best in show" hands down.

VALUE: Average
This was a hard rating to shell out. Dinner for two, including tax & tip, weighed in just over $150.00 (two glasses of wine included, and the extra $16 for the anniversary package). If you are looking for a full dining experience, including ambiance, I feel this was more than fair. However, if your looking to curb a hunger from a day of beach hopping or golfing, take in one of the many buffets up and down Kings Hwy. I really wrestled with the value rating for the Melting Pot, but compared to the other restaurants of it's class (which are limited) around the beach, I find it to be about on par.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE: Above Average
This is an excellent restaurant run and managed by friendly and helpful staff. The food, although served in small portions, is stellar. Even with the smaller portions, if you order the four course meal you should be satisfied without being stuffed. If you are celebrating something special this is THE PLACE to have your special night out. The hefty price tag may steer away larger parties and the ambiance may not be suited extremely well for families with young children, but I will say this is a restaurant the little ones will certainly remember.

HELPFUL TIP:
If the $125+ price tag for dinner for two makes you a bit uneasy, make a late night reservation for dessert and coffee. You still get the outstanding experience, get to enjoy the best dessert on the beach, and sneak out for under $40.00. I know it's a bit more expensive than an ice cream cone, but it's well worth it.

2  Thank vinnynix