Message from TripAdvisor:

“Laurel Court -- First (and last) visit”

Kingston Plantation Condos by Hilton
Ranked #34 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
“Laurel Court -- First (and last) visit”
Reviewed July 17, 2008

We booked a 1-bedroom condo with two double beds. Turns out the second bed was a pull-out sofa bed with a thin "mattress" and no bed sheets. I had to call the front desk to get sheets. The pull-out bed was located in the main area so whoever slept there had to hear the noise of everyone else. The sofa-bed wasn't nearly long enough for me (6 ft) and my legs hung over the mattress. We did find a dead roach in the condo and an exterminator came to spray during our visit. His offer to come back next month was accepted since I didn't want to expose my family to toxins during our vacation. The walls are paper-thin and you can hear your neighbors on every side. The landscapers start working before 9am so don't expect to get a lot of sleep with all of the power tools polluting the area with their noise. The shower was tiny and water pressure was low. The toilet also needed some help refilling the tank since the plug inside the tank wouldn't stay down. The pools were just average and the water park will bore kids over 5 or 6 years old. The beaches were wide and generally clean. There seemed to be a lot of shells on the ocean floor a few feet out. The shells were sharp and made playing in the surf not that much fun. I can't blame the resort for this, but bring pool shoes if you plan to play out in the surf. For the price we paid we could have stayed somewhere much nicer with a real second bed and better amenities. We felt duped once we learned that the second bed was a pull-out and that pretty much set the mood for the rest of the stay. I tried to complain to the front desk and was offered another, larger room with a real bed for a higher price. NO THANKS! We don't feel the price we paid was justified and will undoubtedly look elsewhere for our future lodging needs.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed July 12, 2008

My family of five stayed here for four nights over the Fourth of July holiday. We enjoyed our two bedroom condo. It was close to the beach, clean and well furnished. My seven year old really enjoyed access to the little water park located next to the Embassy Suites.

Only complaint was that maid service was late in the day (about 5pm).

Definitely recommended.

Stayed July 2008
Columbia, SC
Reviewed July 10, 2008

This is a fabulous place for families, especially with younger children. We had a great 3-BR condo in the South Hampton tower, ocean view facing the Apache pier. The staff was great, plenty of fun kids programs, nice pools. My only regret is we wasted time on outside water parks, etc. When I go back - and I definitely will - I will not leave except to go to the very conveniently located grocery or pharmacy.

Only bad experience is someone charged a $64 meal at Omaha's to our condo and we never set foot in the restaurant. Check out clerk said that was just too bad and our problem and, NO, they would not give us a copy of the receipt. Of course we'll go through the hassle of disputing it and won't pay for it in the end but something like that still leaves a bit of a bad taste in your mouth. And that's a shame because we really loved it otherwise.

• Liked — Very relaxing, convenient to beach, great kid's programs
  • Disliked — Being charged for a meal we did not eat
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank jrdanna
Nwindiana
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Three roaches, Four room changes, & Six stiches! The 1st room had a musty smell, banged up trim, and stains on the carpet. A LARGE roach ran across my kids pillow in the 2nd room. At 10pm we switched to a 3rd room in which we found 2 dead roaches. The 4th room was nice.

SAFETY WARNING... The pool ladder was missing safety bumpers , as a result my son has 6-stitches. No nurse on staff, and inadequate first aid kits. It took 2 calls, and over 40 minutes for an ambulance to arrive.

Over the coarse of 2 days I was told by 3 different managers that the resort manager would be contacting me to discuss compensation. I never received his call. A 4th "desk manager" contacted me to inform me that they would credit me 1 night for our room problems, but would not compensate me for my sons injuries or the inconveniences caused from it. UNCLEAN & UNPROFESSIONAL.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Management
3 Thank gwmjr
cary
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I have gone to Kingston six years in a row. Its a great place for kids because there is a great children's play area. This was the first year I had an experience with roaches. I stayed at a condo in Richmond Park section of the resort. I didn't think anything of it, because one roach is one roach, well the next day I saw a couple of more. My sister who happened to be staying at the South Hampton codos also had a roach accompanying her.

Like I said, Kingston is a great place, but I just wanted the tourists to know that there may be some insect issues.

Stayed July 2008
2 Thank johnkim575
NC
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We were very dissapointed with this property! The room carpet was very dirty with stains. The tub was very stained also, the floor tiles had a build-up of soap scum...So we requested another room, same problem the only difference the carpet was dark& couldn't see just how nasty it really was. So we ask for a reimbursement.... That's when they put us in The South Hampton Condo. It was a lot better...... Never will go back to this resort again!!!! THE BRIGHTON TOWER

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Honeyzx9
Hendersonville, TN
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Was here for a business convention at the Hilton but decided to stay at the Lodge for more room with 2 teenagers. In the past, stayed at the Hilton and it has very small rooms that are not maintained well. We were proud to have booked at the Lodge. The main problems that keep it from getting an excellent ratings were:
For the entire plantation, check in was at the Embassy Suites. We waited almost an hour! Even worse, the Hilton Honor line moved the slowest. Even as a Diamond member, did not receive any upgrades or even free breakfast. The Embassy Suites themselves were nice looking but everytime went in there, it was a madhouse with people everywhere. We were glad to get back to our roomy lodge-2 bedrooms and bathrooms.
It is a good 10 minute walk to the Hilton and about 5 minute walk to the beach and waterpark. The resort offers van shuttle service not only around the plantation itself but about a couple mile radius of the area. It did not go down to Barefoot Landing.
The lodge has a screened in porch with a view of the lake but was facing the sun in the mornings and we no fan, was too hot to enjoy a morning cup of coffee. The villas had an open deck or patio. We did have daily maid service but did not leave any coffee. We did have dishwashing liquid and dishtowels. Having a washer and dyer was a nice bonus.

• Liked — extra room
  • Disliked — check in-no respect for Hilton Diamond members
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business