Message from TripAdvisor:

“A gorgeous resort in a convenient location.”

Kingston Plantation Condos by Hilton
Ranked #33 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Albany, NY
“A gorgeous resort in a convenient location.”
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

Kingston Plantation is our favorite resort in Myrtle Beach. I'm surprised at the number of negative reviews. This is our 5th stay here and they have all been great.

They offer a full service Hilton, full service Embassy Suites, and condos and villas. We have stayed in the South Hampton condos, North Hampton Condos, and the villas in Richmond Park. The views from both condo towers are great, as you're right on the beach. The villas are more private and offer a lake or park like view. It's importnant to note that all the condos and villas are individually owned so they may be decorated differently and vary greatly. Depending on which villa out get, you could be anywhere from a 3 to 10 minute walk to the beach. If you want an indoor pool be sure to request North Hampton, as tu have to be staying there to use it. There is a full service health club that all guests have access to and has an indoor pool.

There are about 9 or 10 swimming pools, hot tubs, lazy river, and a kids water park. The service is excellent throughout the resort. They also have a DJ playing by the pool. His name was Joe and was very accommodating with requests. He was also great with the kids with contests, etc.

It's also good to know that whether you're staying at either one of the hotels you can use any of the pools on the property.

It is conveniently located in between Barefoot Landing and Broadway at the Beach. There are literally 1,000's of restaurants in the area.

Overall, a great resort in a great location.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We spent a few days in a two bedroom condo in the Margate tower to meet up with some other family members vacationing from Boston. The general appearance of the unit was better than I expected, given some other reviews in this forum - the unit was very spacious and there were no obvious stains, rips, tears, or signs of significant wear. The furnishings were in good repair, and as advertised, were either Tommy Bahama or in the same genre. The kitchen definitely fit my expectations of a gourmet kitchen, with GE Profile appliances and granite counters, and the substantial balcony (including an outdoor table with seating for six) really gave us an outdoor living area when we wanted to enjoy a meal or cup of coffee while taking in the view of the beach and the ocean. For our purposes, the layout was good - two bedrooms, one with a queen and one with two twins - it gave our two kids their own room, sinks, and toilet, and gave us a little space. As this was a family vacation, the generous laundry room with full size washer and dryer were appreciated. Noise wasn't an issue - didn't hear a peep from other units, nor outside (great, given the proximity to Apache Pier). In general, I would say it the physical aspects of the unit met or exceeded my expectations, with the exceptions of a few minor design quirks.

At first blush, the unit really was a 4 star unit, but we quickly started noticing things that eventually made me feel that this really was less than I expected from something branded as Hilton (or even Embassy Suites). To summarize my issues:
- Kitchenware was very sparse, and not of consistent quality with the kitchen. Only one scratched frying pan, inadequate tools to make anything but the most basic meals, and no dish towels, dish soap, or any cleaning implements.
- Initially, no soap or shampoo in the unit. These eventually showed up on day 3. Apparently, there is maid service in these units, but the only consistent thing we saw was trash removal. Vacuuming, making beds, and replacing towels were all done inconsistently.
- Excessive use of CFLs. Either bump the wattage, or add fixtures. The rooms were fairly dark at night.
- The bedding was far below the standards of a Hilton (and below the standards of most timeshares). The sheets were rough, and the rest of the bedding was made from annoying synthetic materials that, though well coordinated with the drapes, made temperature control at night a pain.

With respect to the Kingston Plantation resort, we found the level of service and amenities to be two-star at a five-star price, with the following observations:
- The lazy river/"waterpark" were OK for the kids, but very crowded
- The Margate pool was nice, and although less crowded than most other resort pools, it was designed for 60 people and the Margate tower could hold well over ten times that in residence.
- Likewise, the beach was OK, but fairly crowded; of note, the lifeguards no longer permit you to place umbrellas forward of the chairs that are for rent under the guise of safety (it blocks their view of the other lifeguard towers), despite the fact that we observed several lifeguards reading the paper or texting for hours on end.
- On that topic, I have to admit I was fairly annoyed to have to rent chairs at a resort that charges a resort fee.
- The food was terribly expensive, but really not that great.

In summary, the prices at this resort rival some of the nicest resorts I've stayed at, but the quality, the service, and the beach simply aren't in line. Perhaps these complaints may sound petty to some, but I simply can't recommend this property at the current prices when there are much better alternatives.

Room Tip: At the Margate, get an ocean view/ocean front room...some resort view rooms look out on a trailer pa...
2 Thank UTexasFan
Grimesland, North Carolina
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I rented a 2 BR condo in South Hampton.It's perfect for being at the beach, pool & conference at the Embassy Suites. However, the decor hasn't been changed in decades. It was clean, but very dated. Don't stay on the Embassy Suites side (south side). The service area for the hotel is right below and you hear trucks coming and going all the time. And don't expect hotel room services. If you don't mind the commute to the beach, the villas are nice.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the Embassy Suites side (south side). The service area for the hotel is right belo...
1 Thank peggywmay1960
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I rented a 2 br villa (in the West Hyde Park area) recently. The room is dated and badly needs a new carpet. Bathroom looks dirty also needs to be updated. Dirty plates were still on the table on the deck when we arrived. One odd thing here is the hotel closes the pools as soon as there's a rain drop. Worse yet, the indoor pool (completely inside the gym) was also closed every time the outdoor pools got closed. We were told that it was closed because of the threat of lightning ! I've stayed at this Embassy Suites/Kingston Plantation for the past three summers but the price keeps going up and the room condition is getting worse. Not sure I'll return there next year.

Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed August 8, 2012

5th year to be here. Awesome stay as always. Clean, well appointed condos, daily cleaning service. We stayed at the Brighton towers this year - elevators quite fast. Internet was fast and dependable. All must add breakfast services at the Embassy Suites at a cost that's well worth it. They had just renovated in October and wow, very impressive and efficient set up. Omelettes are great, breakfast food great! Bring the gang, friends and kids. It makes for a wonderful fun time at Myrtle Beach!

Grandview Heights, Ohio
Reviewed August 7, 2012

the condo was a great layout for our family, with the loft area for the kids to hang out but after that I wouldn't waste your money. The condo is located right next to a trailer park(which no one will tell you) and so there was a lot of noise from there. the campers would either play music too loud or let off fire works every single night. It was also dirty and the rental office where we needed to pick up and drop off keys was way too far from the unit.

Cornelius, North Carolina
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I was leary to begin with but once I walked in all of my fears became a reality. I stayed in the Brighton Tower - Room 1907. The bathrooms were dirty, the carpet was FILTHY and the handle on the refridgerator was not to be touched. There were stains on the furniture fabric in addition to several areas of rust on the tables and lamps. The chairs on the deck were ripped. I immediatedly went to the front desk to complain only to have the manager tell me that they were not aware but could have somone come and clean the carpet the next day. Seriously, were we supposed to walk on wet carpeting?

The next morning the housekeeper knocks on the door at 9:00 am to say she needs to clean the room. We told her that she would need to come back a bit later was we were getting dressed to head out to breakfast to which her response was "I have several rooms to clean, would you like to clean your own room" I was pissed to say the least. I told her to give me some clean towels and not to come back, I would clean the room myself just as I had the first day!

Then, the next day we were up and out early, upon return we run into the housekeeper who informs us that she ran out of sheets but would be right back up to change them. Well when we entered the room we noticed that she'd made up all the beds with the same dirty sheets. Needless to say she never returned! She did not even leave any clean towels but had taken all the used ones, what were we supposed to shower/dry off with?

Again, at check-out I brought up all of the concerns above only to have the manager tell me that they don't change sheets every day, sometimes they go as many as 7 days, just depends on the length of stay. I was livid but not to worry I will never stay at this property again and will definitely tell all of my friends, family, associates and co-workers to stay away!

First, off the beds do not come with a mattress cover so the fact that they don't change sheets on a regular basis is concerning - 7 days is extreme by anyone's measure. What frustates me the most is that Hilton takes not responsibility because the condos are individually owned. Well I booked through Hilton and if they are going to manage properties and book them out they should take some accountability for how they look. The housekeepers should make note of things that need to be cleaned or replaced. At $299 + tax and resort fee a night I deserved a lot more! Very disappointed Hilton Honors Member!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family