“Best Potato Pancakes”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2014

What a cool place with locally gathered stuff making it look and feel like my grandmother's basement.

But don't let that fool you...

The German beer selection is really good and the potato pancakes are absolutely the best you'll have.

Going back ASAP!

1  Thank DavilaDC

Reviewed May 8, 2014

If you want authentic German Fare and to eat in an atmosphere where you feel like you're a member of the family, this is a must stop. You will not be disappointed. There are lots of chain restaurants to choose from in MB, but none can compare to the selection, quality and quantity of food provided, don't let the appearance fool you, that a huge part of Bodo's Charm.

1  Thank Richard L
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I have arranged over 40 dinners for our group all over the Grand Strand, from Little River to Pawleys Island. I have never experienced anything close to what I experienced at Bodo's.

I always try to work with the restaurants as I know large parties are not easy on them. When I called Bodo's to confirm our reservation, they asked me how many of us would be ordering their specialty, the potato pancakes, as an appetizer. They also told me each potato pancake appetizer could feed more than one. I took the time to email the group, ask them, and tally the responses. Out of a party of 19, 10 of us wanted to share, which would be 5 orders. When calling the restaurant to let them know I asked how they would work charging us... would they split the charge or would they just bill 5 of us and we could work it out between ourselves? I was told they would work it out.

To make things easier for those of us sharing and the restaurant I asked my group ahead of time that those sharing sit together. When I arrived at the restaurant I was told that the seating arrangement I suggested was not necessary as THEY had decided to just place the orders on ALL the tables as THEY knew we would all want the potato pancakes. When I asked how they would charge us THEY decided to just split it between ALL of us. In my mind this was not right. If all of us wanted them, fine, but only half of us wanted them in the first place. When I tried to explain I did not think what they were doing was right, and I was told previously to specifically take orders for the appetizer, I was told they never said that. WRONG... they certainly did. The waiter then became patronizing, rude, and made derogatory remarks towards me... all over potato pancakes. If I did not carpool I would have left then! I never went to a restaurant where THEY decide who was going to be served an appetizer, and what the appetizer would be. As I said earlier... strange, but it does not end here.

Waiter comes back a bit later to check if we are ready to order. Quite a few of us were wondering where the heck are these potato pancakes. I mention that we are waiting for our potato pancakes in the meantime. He tells me that they WILL NOT SERVE the pancakes until we place our order because after eating the pancakes some people order less food since the pancakes fill them up. Again, strange. We've been out many, many times and ordered our appetizers, appetizers were served and then we ordered our dinners. I guess not at Bodo's.... not only do THEY decide WHO will have an appetizer and WHAT you will have for an appetizer, they also do not honor the customer's request to be served the appetizer. He also tells me they know what they are doing. Sorry, I disagree! As promised, shortly after we ordered he serves the potato pancakes. Whoopppeeee! The potato pancakes were OK, not nearly what we expected after all the hoopla!

Dinner was served; some thought it was good, others thought it was fair, and some thought it was bad. Mine was fair at best.

Moving forward... its time for the bill. Well it took forever to get our checks as they are all handwritten and hand calculated. A few of the bills were incorrect and we were overcharged.

Now for the best part... Four members of our party had paid and left when the owner comes to tell me they forgot to put the potato pancakes on our bills. She asks me what they should do... No need to imagine what I was thinking they could do. Oh well, guess you should have done what you originally told me you were going to do... serve and charge only those of us that wanted them in the first place. They are $15 per order, not an inexpensive appetizer! A gentlemen in our group offered to pay for all of them, so problem solved. It was so nice of him to do that!

Needless to say our group consensus is not to return to Bodo's; they are definitely on our "no fly list". The waiter was rude. He thought he was entertaining, but in reality he was rude and abrasive. No thanks... there are over 1,000 restaurants to choose from along the Grand Strand, some have been in business for years, others are newer, no need to dine here again. I will say the beer was good.

4  Thank TrishaMarie
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We just had a fun time with delicious food. Axel was a charming host and waiter and the food was warming and fantastic. Make sure to call ahead and order the potato pancake appetizer. Each of us had a different dish and enjoyed swapping tastes with each other. The wurst sampler was wonderful and the different varieties of schnitzel were great. Not to be missed is the red cabbage.
Only complaint is that the wine list could be expanded and improved.

2  Thank Ed F
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ate there last night.
Beers were awesome! Food, not so much.
We both got Weinerschnitzel. Both were overcooked and bland.I got mashed potatoes and garlic green beans. Potatoes were instant and beans were from a can with jarred garlic mixed in. My husband wasn't overly impressed either
Menu is pricey also. Everything including appetizers average 15 dollars.
Service was friendly but really slow.
Our bill was 90 dollars for 2 people.
Will never go back again.
Would not recommend for authentic German.

2  Thank Sue D