“Good service, below average food”

Thoroughbreds Chophouse & Seafood Grille
Ranked #16 of 893 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lake Arrowhead Road
Description: Established in 1988, Thoroughbreds has positioned itself as the Grand Strands leader in Fine Dining with year after year recognition. Most recent being the 2005 locals and visitors top selection in fine dining and most romantic restaurant, Golf Digest Magazine recommended dining and Wine Spectators’ Award of Excellence (we have over 300 wine and champagne selections in our cellar). We specialize in Certified Angus Beef Steaks and Prime Rib, fresh seafood ,and many gourmet selections as well as unique daily specials. We use only the best ingredients and all of our items are prepared from scratch daily. Tonight you could eat the same thing you get at the chain restaurants back home or you could dine at a true Myrtle Beach Classic.
NC
“Good service, below average food”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Maybe I just ordered the wrong dish but I thought this this restaurant's food was terrible. We went with my mom who loves this place. The decor is dark wood and heavy furniture and lots of pictures of horses. I think the room we were in was supposed to be stable-like. The service was prompt and attentive, but there were only three occupied tables in our room.
The bread was served first, a little loaf of white bread. The next course was salad, a small plate of pale green lettuce, a cucumber slice and two cherry tomatoes. I ordered crab cakes and a side of mixed vegetables. The vegetables were hot and fresh, but with a little too much oil. The crab cakes were baked little mounds, not much breading but very dry. I suspect they were not not freshly prepared. My dinner companions both ordered the pork chop and were pleased with the dish. However when I sampled the mashed potatoes from one plate they were pretty awful, tasted like those prepared from a dry mix.
I do not plan to visit this restaurant again. For the prices charged I expect freshly prepared food.

1 Thank CarolinaChic

Morgantown, West Virginia
“Outstanding”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had dinner here on a recent stay at Myrtle Beach. I would suggest making reservations although we did not have any problem being seated because we ate there mid-week in mid-October. Our group had a variety of entrees; ranging from steak to seafood. Everything was perfect. The service was flawless as was the choice of dishes. It is pricey but well worth it. We will dine here when we return to Myrtle Beach next October.

1 Thank TKD26508
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“2 Years later and it is still good”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We first dined here 2 years ago and had a great experience. Last night, we had another. The Rack of Lamb and the Steak Au Poivre were done to perfection. The restaurant didn't appear to have changed since our last visit except they don't offer Steak Diane any longer. That's a shame as I heard several diners ask about it, including my wife. Nevertheless, the food and service is still outstanding. Prices are a bit high but well worth if, especially for special occasions.

Novi, Michigan
“Ambience and delicious food”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We chose to eat at Thoroughbreds mostly because of convenience (located near the Carolina Opry Theatre) and had no chance to check the reviews on TA in advance. That being said, we arrived around 5pm for dinner, and found the place to be very quiet (a busload of seniors arrived within minutes!). We had left the condo in a hurry, and left our complimentary appetizer coupon behind...and when mentioning it to the waitress, she made no effort to accomodate us with a free appetizer, but instead told us she did not know IF they had coupons available anywhere. Most restaurants I have been to, will offer to give you the discount with or without the coupon. As a waitress, she was neither good or bad...more or less indifferent.

Entrees were in the 22-40.00 range. My date and I chose the Eggplant Parmigiana (we are both vegetarians) and the couple we were with chose the grouper and the Salmon. Our eggplant was very good, and our dining companion said her salmon was also good. The grouper, I was told, was "so-so" and did not impress.

The ambience here was very nice....it had a somewhat romantic, dimly lit feel to the dining area, and I think would be a nice place for a dinner for two and conducive to quiet conversation. We have had better food in MB though, at a lesser cost, so I would probably not return here.

Stafford, Virginia
“Thoroughbreds finishes last”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This restaurant has a very traditional theme with fox hunting paintings on the wall, beautiful appointed dining areas, crisp white table cloths and napkins, heavy silverware - a real feeling of class and service. Billed as a steak and seafood grill, there was a very limited - very expensive menu. Less than two miles from the beach, one would think they could have an extensive fresh local fish selection (the name on the restaurant did indicate they served fish), but this was not the case. I believe there were five fish selections plus a nightly special. I chose the grouper served on a bed of some sort of rice with a gouda and ham sauce. My husband got prime rib. The salad was very good with the house sweet and sour poppyseed dressing. The bread was white and tasteless. Our entree's were bland, not terrible, but not noteworthy. When I spend close to $100 on a meal (including a glass of wine), I want it to be special. This was not.
Atmosphere = A
Service = A
Food = C
We will not be going back.

I enjoy a nice restaurant with creative food - and don't mind paying a premium for atmosphere. The atmosphere was very nice, but not worth the price.