“Took My Grandparents”

Encounters UFO Experience
Ranked #72 of 117 things to do in Myrtle Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Took My Grandparents”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I am a hotel manager here in Myrtle Beach, and I have to say.. I've never heard anybody say anything about this attraction. My grandparents came to visit me from New York and wanted to visit Broadway at the Beach. Due to the rain we were limited as to what we can do. I have always been interested in extraterrestrial activity and suggested a quick visit here. I was amazingly surprised at the interest my grandparents took in the exhibit (even with my grandmother in a wheelchair). I am originally from New York as well and have seen my fair share of exhibitions and I know they are not permanent, and therefore do not have all the cosmetics that some picky people prefer. The displays were very informative and I know there is no way to make a definite believer out of people; and they don't try to do that. This exhibit fills in the gaps of some things that people may not know. For example, I did not know much about the men in black, I simply thought it was just a movie. I would recommend this to people that visit my hotel as well as to friends. It's definitely not the most educational exhibit I've ever seen, however it is interesting and worth the money. The cashier was very friendly as well.

Visited October 2013
5 Thank Chris B

High Point, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Unrealized potential”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Inspite of the mixed reviews I went anyway. To save a few bucks I paid on-line. My first impression of this place was how worn down everything looked. When i walked in I kepted an open mind and hoped for the best not expecting much. I would have been OK with it except that most of the exhibits that were supposed to do something didn't work. The simulated abduction didn't work. Some of the TVs were off. The propusion exhibits didnt work. Somebody stole the dollar store sunglasses off of the men in black maniquins.

The upside was the nice girl behind the counter in the little gift shop. But for her I would have left pissed.

The bathroom looked like that of a bad gas station.

This topic lends it's self to what could have been a great experience. Apparently there is zero budget to maintain the place. All of the UFO videos appeared to have been ripped from youtube. Heck, it's not even the best videos. All in all I was disapointed. I left knowing that I could have built a much better experience for folks to learn from and enjoy.

2 Thank falconbrother
Toronto
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was expecting A LOT more then what they offered. Extremely overpriced. Interesting exhibits but nothing too exciting. Do not recommend!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank MissChrys55
Durham, North Carolina
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Encounters UFO Experience ROCKS!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I came upon "Encounters UFO Experience" at Broadway On the Beach in Myrtle Beach, SC, while vacationing at our time share there. We are both serious paranormal investigators and, therefore, have an open mind to things. Personally, I thought the museum experience was very good. I read some other reviews that were not very favorable but I have to disagree with them. Many people think that if they don't get "proof positive" of aliens that it's a waste of time and money but you have to realize that the government keeps a tight lid on this sort of thing. If you visit this attraction thinking that you'll come out a believer then I feel you will not be totally convinced but if you are open-minded you might come out with a different point of view. Having personally seen some really strange things in my life I feel that the attraction accomplished what they set out to do. I was totally satisfied, personally, and I want to go back when I have more time to visit the attraction in-depth. On another positive note, the staff were extremely friendly and had their own interesting stories to tell. I enjoyed talking with them and I feel fortunate that I and my wife had the opportunity to visit the attraction.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Jim M
Seattle
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Save Your Money”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This attraction just was not worth the price. One could easily have seen all this information online or on TV. There were rubber aliens and mannequins dressed as men in black. I had high hopes for this attraction but it just fell flat.

Visited September 2013