“Wonderful chilly escape from New England”

Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes
Ranked #5 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
BOSTON
“Wonderful chilly escape from New England”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Unusually cold in Myrtle Beach but it was 14 degrees when we left New England so all was well!! WHat a beautiful resort. Stayed in villa on 16th floor. Just amazing. Views wonderful. Walked every morning on the beach. Now - it was cold for Myrtle Beach. But we were able to bundle up and walk. The staff is wonderful. My husband golfed 5 days out of the 7- all arranged by the concierge. I am not a person that likes busy busy so I'm not sure I would be a very happy camper in the height of tourist season in Myrtle Beach so because of that this trip for me was wonderful. Ate mostly at home in the mornings. Did the restaurant in the Marriott hotel a couple of nights. Probably some of the best food I have ever had. May be a bit expensive but so worth it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MFAHY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I booked a stay at this resort through Interval International. I called a few weeks before my stay to ask for an ocean view, and to my delight was given exactly what I asked for, and then some!The unit had 2 bedrooms, one with a king bed with its own bath suite, the other with 2 queen beds with an attached bathroom. The unit was elegant, very comfortable and fully stocked with kitchen/dining supplies, towels, beach towels, toiletries and housekeeping items (including Tide for the washer/dryer). I can't say enough about the amenities and the staff. During our stay the Pax storm hit SC, and we were very comfortable staying inside for a couple of days. The beds were comfortable and the down comforter kept us snug and warm on the cold days/nights during the ice storm. The staff was very concerned that everyone be safe and have something to do, and every few hours they left messages on their in-house message service via the room phone letting us know of the outside conditions and what activities were available. There were many activities to do (popcorn & movies, jewelry making, exercise classes, etc.). The phone didn't ring, so we weren't bothered when napping, the red message light just blinked to let us know there was a message. Since the road conditions were bad, they made transportation available to grocery and drug stores if needed. Do not hesitate to stay at this resort; you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Ann F
South Carolina
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Recently returned from the OceanWatch Villas after a wonderful wknd with my 3 bestfriends. This is a Marriott vacation property so be prepared to be offered a "showing". They were not pushy about the offer which was a big plus. We chose the 2 BR ocean front view overlooking the pools and it was gorgeous. Lots of space and furnished nicely. Smelled fresh and clean which seems to be a problem with some properties in Myrtle Beach. I love that the key card is 'touch activated'. Fully stocked kitchen and beds that rivaled the "Heavenly Bed" at the Westin. The only two complaints I have is I could have done without the practically see through "window" in the master shower and the parking garage is pretty tight with not too many available spaces after dark. The property is located on the north end and away from the traffic and noise of the 'strip'. But this is the off season so it may be a different case in a couple months. I usually stay on the strip but moving forward I think I may chose this property.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Goldwire
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
We are happy to read your five-star review of Marriott’s OceanWatch Villas! . We look forward to your next girl’s vacation to Myrtle Beach!
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Over the years, we have stayed in many hotels and condo's in the Myrtle Beach area. We discovered the OceanWatch Villas a few years ago and we now stay there at least two weeks out of the year. Clean, quiet and a lot to do - even if it's not beach or pool weather. For me, this is hands down the nicest facility in Myrtle Beach.

Room Tip: In the front buildings (Conch & the other escapes me), the middle rooms have a big, beautiful ba...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank lrg37
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed February 8, 2014

A friend and I went to Myrtle Beach for three days of shopping. I searched many hotels looking for a nice 2 BR spot with good ratings and also one which most people described as clean. The Marriott Oceanwatch Villa was like an oasis for us. It was spacious, clean and gave each one of us a private bedroom and bath. We chose the gardenview unit to save money and because it was not beach weather in Feb; however, the view overlooked the garden and pools which were pretty. We requested a low floor to avoid elevator time. I called ahead that morning and Warren kindly agreed to let us check in a little early since we were heading out again. Check out time was 10 AM, but the front desk also allowed us to stay until 11 AM. Everyone was very nice and my requests were accommodated. We have already made plans to return next Feb. and stay again - hopefully in the same unit.

Room Tip: I would not choose a low gardenview room during busy seasons because it could be noisy with pool ope...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank PKCL2014
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
We are pleased you chose to visit us at your “oasis” in Myrtle beach! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Marriott’s OceanWatch Villas!
Mt Pleasant
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Ok, this is my second time to stay here. I wish I had remembered to ask for the villas that are on the ocean. We wound up in the ones behind the tower that is on the beach. I have some tips: It is best to book through the Marriott, and specify that you want to be on the beach if that is important to you. All rooms in these villas are oceanview, oceanfront, etc. The view will be very limited from the other buildings unless you insist on a high floor. This is what I did. We asked, because we had booked through Expedia and could not change our "room type" , for a high floor. They were kind enough to put us on the top floor, floor 16. We had a great view, but it is still distant, and you are still looking at the Marriott Hotel and the other villa building. If you are planning to cook, and can manage to do this, bring your knives, and other things you must have. The pans were awful (again), knives would not cut butter, and they don't even give you salt or pepper. The thing that really ticked me off was that there is a full kitchen, the villa is for 8 people, and when I arrived, the only thing they give you in the kitchen is a little box with 2 creamers, 1 sugar, 1 sweet n low, and a stirrer. Attached to this? A note saying that this one's on them, but you can go BUY the rest if you plan on drinking coffee during your stay. So please, do yourself a huge favor, bring your spices, sugars, etc. You don't want to have to go out and buy all of these things just to make a simple cup of coffee or scrambled eggs! Oh! And warning: the restaurant is awful here. I love the Marriott, but they have GOT to step it up if they are going to charge outrageous prices in the restaurant! The simple 2 eggs, hashbrowns, and toast breakfast is $16. Juice is like $4. Hence the reason, with a family of 5, I choose to bring my eggs, pancake mix (bring your cooking spray for their awful pans), bacon, bread, etc., and eat in the villa. There is a kitchen, but they try to make it to where you can't make a good meal without a lot of trouble, in hopes that you'll give in and go to the restaurant. Not nice, Marriott.
OH! Watch out for the timeshare people!!! They will try, every chance they get, to rope you in! It is quite uncomfortable, honestly. When you check in, they will say that you are to walk over and get your welcome gift. DO NOT GO OVER THERE! If you want taffy or whatever it is, go to the store and get some! It's flat out trickery!!

Room Tip: Read the review for my tips!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Jessehly
Thank you for your positive review of Marriott’s OceanWatch Villas! As a loyal Tripadvisor contributor, we truly appreciate your detailed feedback about your stay. The view type is dependent on the villa category reserved, whether it be ocean front or ocean view. Our recommendation is to reserve through Marriott as we offer the Best Rate Guarantee and will provide an additional 25% off if you find a lower rate.

Our team also appreciates your feedback on in-room amenities, restaurant offerings and the complimentary gift at check-in. We will share your thoughts with the appropriate managers to ensure our guests are receiving the best service possible. Thank you again for visiting and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in two-bedroom suite in February of 2014 during regions record cold weather spell. The suite was quite nice, with two bedrooms, three beds, two bathrooms and full kitchen. Everything was clean and in working order. A variety of pools and hot tubs on the property and you are right on the ocean. Plenty to do in the area especially if you like to golf, plenty of courses nearby. Fifteen minutes to airport by car. Restaurants galore within minutes of the resort. Everyone working at the resort was pleasant and helpful. Nothing to complain about during our trip, five star rating.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ZumaDawg
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
As a loyal Tripadvisor contributor, we truly appreciate your five-star review for Marriott’s OceanWatch Villas! Our team is thrilled you had a great visit even with the colder weather in the area. We hope you visit us again on your next trip to Myrtle Beach!