“Enjoying our timeshare home base”

Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes
Ranked #2 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We love the location of the resort as it is a bit north of the downtown area and we have ocean front. The resort is always very clean and great beach walking. Plus there is plenty of golf and amenities/attractions, we usually go in November. Another hidden pleasure is breakfast at the K&G, great food, fast and incredibly low prices, good for budget stretching.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LaurentRene
There are newer reviews for Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Traded our Marriot St. Kitts week for Myrtle Beach this year. It was our 1st time in Myrtle Beach and my whole family LOVED it. I loved the location of the resort. It is not quite in North Myrtle but away from all the hustle and bustle from downtown. The resort really thought of everything you would need. Despite reading some negative feedback, we did not experience any of it. All the staff was super friendly and always tried to help us out. My kids loved the waterslide and zero entry pool. We had to tear them away from it to go to the beach!
I honestly felt like we were at the best location in Myrtle Beach. Finally a place I felt was worth the $ we paid. Would go there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We ended up with a 4th floor unit in the back. At first I was disapointed, but honestly it didn'...
3  Thank KristenG
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed at the Oceanwatch Villas for 5 nights in late August with two teenagers. We chose the last week of August because the price was greatly reduced. Thought it was very good, but could have been really excellent if a few things were different.
First the good: our room took till about 4:30 to be ready, but the manager was very nice about it. The room was really great. Beautiful, very large 2 bedroom condo, with a big patio overlooking the ocean. Room was on the far corner of the hotel so it was very quiet. Great to have the kitchen and the washer/dryer. We packed very light and did laundry. Elevators were fast and usually empty. No complaints about the accommodations. Big, clean beautiful beach. Pools were crowded, but large and kept clean. The property itself was really lovely and well maintained.

Now for the cons, and they are for the most part, easily fixed:
1. We liked to take walks on the beach at sunset, but often came back when it was just about dark. There was absolutely no lighting on the ramp and steps leading from the beach to the hotel, which made it not only extremely difficult to find at night, but also dangerous. I would think that the hotel could easily install some solar lights to keep people safe and let them find their way back to the hotel without fear of falling.
2. The food served at the pool bar ranged from lousy to okay, but certainly wasn't good. Almost everything we tried (burgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, fish & chips, nachos) over the course of the week was just dry, dry, dry. Bar staff wasn't unfriendly, but certainly not especially friendly either. We also ate lunch at the outdoor bar by the pool at the Marriott hotel next door. Slightly better, but still nothing great. The Marriott management should take a flight down to the Hilton Orlando to experience GREAT lunch choices by the pool (best burger EVER, best salad EVER, best fresh fish sandwich EVER, etc etc). Should be an easy fix to just provide better quality food, and would provide a lot of revenue for the hotel.
3. Offerings at the Market were pretty inadequate. Didn't even carry swimsuits, or beach bags, or more than 1 choice of t-shirt. They did have a general supply of bread, milk, that sort of thing, but why not use the space to sell some nice souvenirs or at least more beach supplies. Seemed like a bad use of the space, that certainly could have been more of a profit center for the hotel.
4. Parking lot is very tight. Don't think it can be changed, but beware if you have a large car, or aren't used to parking in tight spaces.
5. Two problems with the beach chairs. While Griffen the lifeguard was very friendly, for what the villas costs its really almost insulting to then charge your guests for beach chairs and umbrellas. That should be included. And furthermore, they are just about the tiniest, most uncomfortable beach chairs ever made. They also line up the beach chairs so that you are in a row like sardines, and overhearing every word your neighbors say. Why not get more comfy chairs, include them in the cost and stagger them into several rows so that people aren't right on top of each other. It made absolutely no sense to do it the way it was done, and just wasn't a fun way to sit at the beach.
Despite all of this, overall, we really did like the Marriott and would return. But a few small changes could make this worth 5 stars.

Room Tip: We had room 2057 which was in the corner away from the pool, so it was quiet to sit on the patio. Ve...
Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Web225
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed here on our family holiday. We had a great time. The villa was immaculate and very roomy for our party of two adults and two children. The beach in front of the property was clean and staffed with lifeguards and is or villa and hotel guests only. The hotel pool, playlets and other amenities were very well kept (the large play set and waterslide were a particular favorite). All of the staff were polite, friendly and helpful, especially during check-in. The kids loved the layout of the villa and we were able to have eat breakfast together at the dinner table or on the balcony overlooking the sea. If you want the best sea view, make sure you stay in the Pines building on a higher floor. The balconies are very safe for kids with high, sturdy barriers.

Would definitely recommend this place to friends and will consider coming back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank W0lves_Wanderer
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Staff couldn't add breakfast to my stay because I booked with points. Not even if I want to pay for it. This is what I call flexibility for customers. I am a Marriott elite member and felt disappointed how I was treated at this facility. I also have to say that this facility needs an upgrade. Rooms outdated, room shower not working properly, out of 3 showers in the pool area 2 of them were not working properly. I requested a roll away bed during my reservation and I wasn't given one. My family and I have stayed in many other Marriott hotels & resorts. By far this was the worse one that we stay in.

3  Thank Edson F
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We are owners and having been coming here since it opened. This year seems very different and we are not happy with the changes. The first thing was we were going to our room and were told to use the sales office entrance (which we did) While waiting for the elevator a young salesmen came up with a couple (I guess he was making a sale) Here we are waiting for the elevator and when the doors open he jumps in with the couple and then says "you want to come in?" Are you kdding me??? what do you think we were standing there for? We have ALL of our stuff. The proper thing to do was to let US in first since we were waiting and maybe he should have asked to help us. I guess once you buy in then the sales people don't have to be nice anymore. We own two weeks, ocean front and bought more points last year! Wow! what a way to start our vacation. The pools are VERY cloudy and dirty- stuff was floating in them (I don't remember that any other year) the chairs are filthy around the pool. I wont even go to the sales pitch this year- just not loving it.

6  Thank HarvardMom2007
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of our resort. We appreciate your comments and assure you that corrective action will be taken to address your concerns as well as the interaction with one of our associates in the sales center.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

You know what to expect with a Marriot Timeshare and property. This one has a great beach, lots of wonderful pools and hot tubs, kids activities, and very nice villas. The one thing I can add is that the staff of this facility went above and beyond to ensure my family's vacation was an enjoyable one. The Front desk staff up to the management were absolutely attentive to my requests. And, after a very long, long, long drive with three small children the staff made sure that once I checked in I was in good spirits. A big thanks to Nigi, Tim, Crystal, and most of all to Alivia for all you did that week for me and my family! The one thing I will say is that I have three small children. If you are travelling without children and don't want to see children go somewhere else. Its is a child friendly resport to be certain. We will certainly be back! If you have small kids be sure to check out the Pirates Adventure dinner and the Illusions of magic show if they still have Ben Blaque as a special guest. We all enjoyed those shows very much.

Room Tip: The Three buildings close to the ocean if you are not on 3rd floor or higher on Seaside you will not...
2  Thank SuffolkCounty