“Great Villa Great Staff”

Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes
Ranked #2 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 26, 2013

You know what to expect with a Marriot Timeshare and property. This one has a great beach, lots of wonderful pools and hot tubs, kids activities, and very nice villas. The one thing I can add is that the staff of this facility went above and beyond to ensure my family's vacation was an enjoyable one. The Front desk staff up to the management were absolutely attentive to my requests. And, after a very long, long, long drive with three small children the staff made sure that once I checked in I was in good spirits. A big thanks to Nigi, Tim, Crystal, and most of all to Alivia for all you did that week for me and my family! The one thing I will say is that I have three small children. If you are travelling without children and don't want to see children go somewhere else. Its is a child friendly resport to be certain. We will certainly be back! If you have small kids be sure to check out the Pirates Adventure dinner and the Illusions of magic show if they still have Ben Blaque as a special guest. We all enjoyed those shows very much.

Room Tip: The Three buildings close to the ocean if you are not on 3rd floor or higher on Seaside you will not...
2  Thank SuffolkCounty
Write a ReviewReviews (1,163)

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our family returned for our 6th summer visit in a row at the Ocean Watch Villas. We were there on an "encore package" although we are owners. This was a package we opted to invest in last summer during our sales presentation. We actually requested a villa in the Pine or Maple Buildings hoping for a "different" experience then ocean front, but they didn't have any available (much to our surprise) and we were in the Starfish/Main Building again this summer with a nice corner unit that had great morning sun and a nice breeze. Love the new changes this year with the addition of the Serenity/Quiet Pool. It is not adult only as I thought they would instruct. My girls (ages 11 and 7) were able to enjoy the pool and it quickly became their favorite this summer. They were instructed that they were to be quieter in that area and they did great. The signs about the marine mammals, birds, flowers, etc. that are native to SC were great. We chanced leaving our beach chairs, toys, etc. in the bins again this year (after being stolen 2 years ago, we were leary) and we had zero issues and they added another storage area, so more space. I was impressed that the RULES OF THE POOL are finally being enforced! After years of watching folks mosey down to the pool, place their numerous towels on numerous chairs to save seats, only to return to their villas ... and not return for hours ---- I was THRILLED to see the rules being enforced this summer. Hooray for this team at the Ocean Watch. The rules are posted at the pool and we ALL should have to abide by them. Be fair people! We all want to have a great vacation experience. I would say that these rules need to be IN PRINT with the rest of the information you receive when you check-in. I read over reviews about the slow service at the Marketplace and would agree. But we don't use this area often, so it does not affect our stay much. Drinks were tasty, villas was spotless, and property well cared for. We simply love spending time at the Ocean Watch!

3  Thank Beach Bum Woman
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The villa was nice... the beach in front of the resort was great... the amenities were good... the resort as a whole was in good shape... another great Marriott Vacation Club family type resort. It's just too bad that the attitude of management doesn't mirror the quality of the resort. It seems the short term greed of management takes priority over the long term health of the establishment. Bad business philosophy. Here's why:

Outside of housekeeping forgetting to visit our unit on our first day, the OceanWatch Villas was worth the money until we used the unit's washing machine. Obviously maintenance forgot to re-attach a hose to the laundry washer because water immediately started gushing out of the machine as soon as we turned it on, flooding the foyer and the carpet in the living room. Maintenance did the best they could to mop up the water using vacuums and blowers. And I understand the hotel was full so they couldn't move us to a comparable unit. But the problem centers on how management compensates the guests. We are spending $725/night for a 2BR oceanfront unit for 4 nights. However, management thought a meager $200 bill adjustment was fair compensation for a family of five that basically wasn't able to enjoy the unit for the last 1.5 days of our stay. Children couldn't sleep due to loud blowers at night... we couldn't go back to our room at times because maintenance was abating water... a pair of my wife's expensive shoes were ruined... not to mention having to walk around on wet carpet all day. The least management could have done was to take one night's stay off the bill for $725 rather than $200. Before we left, a front desk employee told us the manager (Wendy) was in a meeting and would call us that day about the bill adjustment. But alas, we never got a call. So because the manager of this multi-million dollar resort wants to save an extra $525, she is subjecting the entire resort to some bad publicity. It's a shame that greed for the almighty dollar trumps common sense.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank Bob_Terp_Fan
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at Marriott's Ocean Watch. This is not typical of the guest experience at our resort and we would appreciate an opportunity to personally address your concerns. Please contact us at customer.care@vacationclub.com or at 800 860 9384. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My family came here for an end-of-summer vacation and when we got to our villa, we were more than pleasantly surprised--we were ecstatic! Our oceanview villa was laid out nicely with plenty of room for everyone to relax and enjoy themselves. Ours was a corner villa so our balcony had two amazing views. We had two adults and two kids and the bedroom suites were roomy, comfortable and cozy. Our kids absolutely loved their big beds, TV in the room and adjoining bathroom. Our room was beautiful with a huge soaking tub and shower. Very relaxing. We made use of all of the pools on the property and there were several! The kids especially enjoyed the water slide and the treehouse. We didn't have the best weather (it was very cloudy, rainy and not that warm), but we made the best of our time in the pools and at the beach. There were also plenty of resort activities to keep everyone happy. We had a spectacular time! We would definitely come back!!

3  Thank WannaGetAway72
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We are a week owner in the Gold season. I called ahead to put in our room preference. We own Oceanfront. When we arrived no part of our request was honored, even though our sales experience promised us different. Our room was infested with ants. The facilities man came at midnight to spray then chastised us for having the door to the balcony opened. We were out there to escape the ants. Today I went to the pool and started to set up space for our family. Loss prevention came and told me I couldn't do this until 9am. I explained my family was right behind me. They said it doesn't matter because a new management team is on the job and they are really tough. Now we pay our fees every year...to use this facility. Why should I have to be afraid of a new management team..? The LP guy said they canned Randy.. The former pool manager who was great... And hired a guy from Hilton Head and he was nasty. I met Joe and he is nasty. Very condescending. So while they let a group eat sandwiches in the pool today... Gross... And they let teens wheel balls at our heads... And toddlers in the hot tub... Splashing. I can't lay a towel down on a chair. Again... I pay fees that keep us in chairs. Tonight LP throws us out of the pool at 10pm... Again blaming new management. We were making no noise. Then I hear blame the board. Fine. Wait until time for my vote. New all the way around as far as I'm concerned. Now I just killed several fleas in the bed. They doubled prices on all activities. The pools are filthy. Chairs spotted with mildew and black mold. I cannot believe how poorly run this place is now compared to a year ago. In the pool today many owners complaining about " new management" who want to make what was special into a cookie cut of every other place. Perhaps going with the cheaper option will get you the same as here. Lo, the resale on this place is so cheap...why buy from them? It's because the Board, new GM and pool mgr have let it all go to crap.

• Stayed: August 2013
10  Thank justwantstotravel

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience at Marriott's Ocean Watch. The resort policies are in place to accommodate all the owners and guests and create a pleasant environment for everyone. However, this does not excuse rude treatment or poor maintenance. We have addressed your comments with the resort management team and will follow-up so corrective action can be taken. if you have concerns in the future, please contact our customer care team at customer.care@vacationclub.com or at 800 860 9384. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My family stayed here the last week of July. The resort is beautiful and well maintained. Our only complaint is that they had workers at our villa everyday putting new caulking in. We weren't told that they would be there and figured it would be just a one day thing. It turned out to be an entire 8 day visit thing. Their scaffolding unit stayed outside of our room the entire stay and there were a few mornings they walked right onto our balcony while my daughter was sitting at the table. It was very hard to try and have any privacy because we didnt know when or where the workers would be around. I did contact the staff and was told that they ended to complete these repairs due to an active hurricane season and they were sorry for our inconvenience. If we didnt have to deal with this during our stay it would have been better. I would also recommend a villa on the oceanfront.... Our room to the ocean was quite a walk.

Room Tip: Oceanfront......not gardenview if you want to see the ocean. Gardenview rooms are quite the hike to...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank tarmstrong71
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We have stayed at the Marriott Ocean Watch for many years now as owners of timeshare and I just can't say enough what a fabulous experience they provide! The villas are so well appointed you really feel at home. The location of Marriott's Ocean Watch is not in Myrtle Beach, it's actually a small area called Grande Dunes which is important because it is removed from the congested Myrtle Beach area. This is in a residential area and the only resort in the area which gives it a really special feel. The employees at the Marriott are so friendly and helpful and will try to accommodate your needs! The area offers so much to do which is why I love it so much. We've seen most of the shows over the years and I can't say there was a bad one! The restaurants are fantastic, the mini golf is an experience to be had for sure! Love this resort, it's just the best!

Room Tip: Ocean Front rooms have a fabulous view!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family