“Wonderful Family Resort” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Seaford, New York
“Wonderful Family Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I just returned from the Oceanwatch. I am a new owner and this was my first trip. I have to admit that I was a nervous after we purchased. I kept second guessing whether we made the right decision buying into this vacation club. After this past week I must say that we are extremely happy with our decision. We arrived at the Oceanwatch around 1:30pm on a Sunday. It was a little confusing at first as far as were we were supposed to go to check in. There is a regular Marriott hotel next to the Oceanwatch. Not a big deal. You quickly figure out were everything is. Everyone was so friendly with big smiles and lovely greetings. Unfortunatley our room was not ready (check in is 4:00). This was a little disspointing since we had been driving for awhile. They took our cell number and gave us a temporary gate key so that we could park our car. They also gave us maps to we could find our way around and said that we were welcome to use the amenities. There was a changing room available if you wanted to swim. We decided to just walk around and check out the resort. There is limited food available to purchase. We had lunch on property at the Marketplace. They have premade salads and there is a Pizza Hut. We probably would have been better off going off property for lunch. For two salads and two small pizzas it was $44! Around 3:00 we checked back in with the front desk and found that our room was ready. They hadn't called us yet. I would suggest that if you are waiting that you check in with them every hour or so. Our Villa was in the Pine Building in the Woodsey area. We requested to be in this area because we were traveling with two small children. This is were the playground and kiddie pool is located. If you are traveling with only adults or older children you may want to be closer to the beach. The location was perfect for us. My only complaint is that we were on the second floor. I would definately request a higher floor for privacy. Our room was overlooking the Bocce ball and shuffle board courts. If you like to sit on your balcony you will be on display. Our Villa was a two bedroom, two bath unit. Everything was spotless! The living area was a little small but not a problem. We had a corner unit so our balcony was smaller than the other units. I found it a little odd that the Villa sleeps 8, but they only provide 4 chairs on the balcony. If you have 8 people, you wont be able to seat everyone on the balcony together. We had 5 and wanted to eat outside one night. We could take a chair fromt he dining room but more than one more chair would have been very tight. There is a full kitchen stocked with pots, pans, utensils, storage containers, etc. We cooked most meals in the Villa and found that it wasn't lacking anything. We were able to drive and bring a crock pot, which I highly recommend if you plan on cooking. It was wonderful setting up dinner in the morning and returning in the evening to a nice hot meal. I would love to see MVC make crock pots available to guest. They provide toasters and a blender. I found in speaking to some other guests that some Villas may be lacking certain items. Check around in your Villa, there should be an inventory sheet. If your missing something that you need, call the front desk and they will send it up immediatley. We were missing dish soap and kitchen tongs. Without 5-10 minutes they were delivered. They do provide kitchen bags, dish soap, dishwasher detergent, a sponge, paper towels, glass cleaner, one box of Tide and a couple of small bottles of shampoo/conditioner and bar soap. I know that they will replenish certain items free of charge;however, other items like laundry detergent you will have to provide. I brought laundry sheets (the all in ones). That worked out great, I also brought some Lysol bathroom wipes to wiped down the counters and toilet. If you are an owner or renting through an exchange, there is NO maid service provided unless you want to pay. I believe that a full cleaning is $80, a tidy service (fresh towels, make the beds and empty trash) is $35. I was not sure how I felt about this when we first purchased. I figured that I am on vacation and wanted to do as little as possible. Honestly, it wasnt a problem at all. We actually preferred it. We didnt have to worry about getting out of the room so the maid could come in. It wasnt an issue to make our own beds, wash some towels and empty trash. There is a trash chute on each floor. There is also a broom and carpet sweeper in the closet with the washer/dryer. You will need it being this is a beach resort. We also enjoyed having a full kitchen. It was not only a huge money saver buying and cooking our own food but so much more convenient. We have a 4 and a 6 year old that really don't appreciate being dragged to a restaurant three times a day. We planned our menu ahead of time and made our shopping list. There is a Lowes food within two minutes of the resort. Tip: sign up for the store card. Its free and you will save even more money. A nice suprise for us since we were driving is that they also sell gas and give discount on gas. We were able to fill up for $3.14 a gallon when we left! Lowes sells just about everything you will need. My guess is for the 5 of us if we were to eat at a restaurant 3 times a day it probably would have cost us around $1500 for the week. I spent about $250 at Lowes and we did eat one meal out at the Boardwalk. Not bad. There are also several BBQ grills available. The ground here are beautiful and well kept. Everything is very clean. I read several reviews before our trip and was really worried about the chair situation at the pool. I was on vacation and I refused to wake up at the crack of dawn to reserve a chair. Honestly, we never had a problem getting chairs by the pool. We mainly stayed at the Woodsey Pool. There always seemed to be adequate chairs. I am not sure what other people were talking about. Maybe the problem is at the main pool. At the beach you can rent chairs and an umbrella. We decided not to do this. We brough our own and we were able to store them in cubbies provided by Marriott. The beach is ok. I found that it was a little rough (if you have small children) and a lot of broken shells. It was very clean and I didn't find it to be crowded. There are a lot of activities offered for both children and adults. The kids loved doing the crafts in the activity room. Most are free. Some have extra charges. For example, we participated in the pottery activity. An outside company comes in and you can choose a piece to paint. We didn't know what to expect as far as the additional cost. The five of us each painted a piece and it came out to $102! I was a little suprised when I got the bill. Everyone did enjoy it and we have some nice souvenirs to display. We also did the Kids Night In one night. Its $25 per child. That includes 3 hours in the activity room, pizza/drinks/snacks, crafts, a Mad Scientist came in and performed experiments and a movie. The kids loved it. It was a nice break for mommy and daddy as well. They also have Dive In movies by the pool a few nights a week, smores by the campfire, and a few other things. You are provided with a list at check in. I could go on and on about this resort. There are so many activities for all ages. I wasn't really crazy about the town. I guess its a typical beach town. We did leave a couple of times to go to Broadway on the Beach and play mini golf. I would have been fine with staying at he resort all week and not leaving. Marriott will most likely contact you and ask you to come to a presentation. If your not an owner yet they will try to sell to you. If you are an owner they will try to get you to buy more. I found it to be informative. I had a lot of my questions answered. We happened to go when it was raining so we didn't feel like it was taking away from our vacation time. We were also given $100 resort voucher which was nice. My only complaint was that the Encore Dept. offered us what we thought was a great deal. We could return to the resort next year for a week, also an 8 day cruise that we had a year and a half to use and 45,000 reward points for $1800. Sounded like a fantastic deal. My only question was about date restrictions. The rep repeatedly told me that there were none. As a matter of fact I could request for more time if I needed it. Great. We asked if we could get back to her and that was not a problem. The next day when we decided to do it we called and they told us to come by the next day. They would prepare the paperwork so we didn't have to wait around. I went the next day and it was a different representative (the other was out of town, which we were aware of). This lady reviewed that there were blackout dates (June 9-Aug 24 ?). This was a problem. We can only travel during those dates because the kids are on vacation. I didnt want to come during winter break. Who wants to go to a beach resort when its too cold to use the pools and beach? I was very dissapointed. Other than that I can't say enough good things about this resort.

Room Tip: If you have a Garden View room request to be as high up as possible. I would say at least 4th floor...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Raspberrygang

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Our family stayed here for a week in May and it was heavenly. Surroundings are beautiful and very family friendly. The only reason my rating is not "Excellent" is because they ask $30 for beach chairs to sit on the beach for the day and also because I got a little bit of attitude from one of the waitresses when she brought my lunch poolside.
It is, however, a wonderful family destination.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank dmarie7614
Branson, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Our family had the chance to stay at this resort and it was fantastic. The checkin process was so smooth, and all of the front desk staff were so inviting and friendly. We then went to get our welcome packages and the lady that helped us with that was all smiles-what a great feeling to start off your vacation. The villas were beautiful with comfortable beds (the pillows were not so great so bring your own) and a good size kitchen with all the utensils you would need. Plenty of beach towls in the 2 rooms for us and the kids. And a washer and dryer (bring your own detergent). There was no maid service the whole week we were there but with the washer and dryer it was not a problem. The grounds of the resort were beautiful. Many different pools to choose from, with snack/drink bars at each pool. And great beach access. It is worth it to pay $30 to rent 2 chairs and umbrella on beach at least one of the days. Beach was clean, lots of sea shells at low tide and plenty of places to sit. We ventured out to the Boardwalk one evening (free fireworks display every Wed night) and it was packed. Lots of treats for the kids, a HUGE ferris wheel, and other rides, and many T-Shirt shops. Overall, a great town to visit, and the BEST place in town to stay by far. I have to say, the villas were great, the beach was great, but the hotel staff is what set it apart from its competition! GREAT JOB STAFF!

Room Tip: If you have kids, stay by the Woodsy pool-
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank peacockranch
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

We have stayed here twice and just booked our next visit. The ocean front villas are two bedroom with a full kitchen. The staff are always friendly and extremely helpful and there is always plenty to do in the Myrtle Beach area. The beach is beautiful and the sunrises are always different.

Room Tip: Ocean front and high floors are the best
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
yardley pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Like most Marriott time share resorts, the condos were two bedrooms, two baths and full living room kitchens. Public areas and rooms were clean and modern, but definitely not luxurious. Balcony furniture was sturdy but uncomfortable.

Staff was attentive and pleasant and amenities were nice, but not on the level of a full service Marriott hotel (think Courtyard or Residence Inn).

The resort is in North Myrtle Beach, a bit quieter than Myrlte Beach. It is typical of the area in that you must drive to get anywhere, but within a 5-15 minute drive you can get to anything you can ask for.

All in all, a very nice spot for a family trip. If you have older kids, there were plenty of teens (very well behaved) for them to be with. You can always count on Marriott to deliver a consistantly quality product.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

We just spent another fantastic week at Ocean Watch. There was 8 of us. 5 adults and 3 children. I just love the resort. Everything is always clean and spotless when you arrive in your villa. Love the new flat screen televisions. My granddaughters took advantage of many of the activities. Everyone had a great time. We all hated to leave, especially my 4 year old granddaughter. She cried the morning we were leaving. We will be going back in September with 2 other couples. Can't wait.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank travelprincess8
Montgomery, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I am sort of a hotel snob... get disgusted easily walking on hotel room carpets, etc. I can't say enough about this hotel. It was spotless and very clean. Everyone was exceptionally pleasant. Expensive --- but you get what you pay for. 2 chairs and an umbrella were $30 per day. Pirates Adventures show down the road is worth the money. My 11 year old son thought it was going to be too childish -- but by the middle of the show he was standing up cheering. Food is okay --- but the show makes it all worth it. Will definitely go back to the hotel. Can't go wrong with the location.... Nice and relaxing and in a VERY safe area. Number one on my list!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family