“An honest unbiased review”

Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort at the Pavilion
Ranked #144 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed March 4, 2009

I've read mixed reviews about this hotel, either they are very poor, very good, or some what moderate. Although I believe all reviews are biased in some way ( i.e., bad staffing that one day, someones in a bad mood, a dirty sheet, etc.,) , I will truly try and give an unbiased review so when you show up you won't be disappointed.

My friends and I were between the ages of 17-18 at the time of our stay. We were going down for our senior spring break, and this hotel was one of the very few that would book us without either a. a parent or b. a credit card number. We were allowed to hold our room untill we arrived( we were thrilled) and paid cash at the front desk. The front as I can recall was clean, but small and the staff during my check in were friendly and prompt ( remember, we were a group of 18 year olds).

So off we went with our 3 room keys to our room. Yes, everything you read/hear about the elevator is true. This hotel/motel is a high rise. There is one elevator. It is slow, and worn down. Welcome to most of myrtle beach's hotels that are on the cheaper side and meant for teenages and young adults. Besides that being a pain because we weren't on the first floor and we had LOTS of luggage, we entered the room. Now wait. As you can read so far, can you guess what the room was like? Right. Nothing special. Clean, and a little out dated. Yes, it smelt. But again, I can almost assure you that 85% or more of the occupants were under the age of 21.

Yes, they probably smoked when they shouldn't have.
Spilt drinks and let them soak in.

But this hotel was far from "disgusting".
The balcony is very narrow and ALWAYS made me nervous when someone was on it. The view is AMAZING, you're literally on the beach. The pool and bar were clean, and nothing was too unusual.

The staff was MORE than willing to accomadate us. We had asked for over 2 spare keys at all hours of the night and never did they give us a hard time. (Thank you!! :-D). Room service or maids are available. We cleaned our own mess because lord knows it was terrible. Oh, and PS, 6 girls in one room needed more than one extra towel. We never had to sign up for one. Our maid on our floor was amazing and always hooked us up. Perhaps people should be a little bit more courteous to the staff and the staff will help them out. Anyways...

We even got our deposit back

All in all this hotel was FAR beyond our expectations. We read the reviews and we were expecting something WAY worse. If you're looking for a romantic get away, I surely wouldn't spend it here. If you're looking for somewhere for your family to stay, I'd reconsider it. 1. you're right in the middle of everything. It is loud. There are kids everywhere (((( at least during spring break)))). 2. The balconys aren't very safe for children. If you're looking for a place to stop on a business trip, I'd stay at the Marriot or Holiday Inn etc., But if your young, indifferent and enjoy a great deal on room prices, I'd say this place is for you. Also, honestly, from a different perspective, vacation is spent outside or doing attractions, not in your hotel. As long as its clean, and it's cheap, I wouldn't care too much.

Oh yeah! Parking sucked a little bit, but we dealt with it also.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank manda29575

Reviewed February 27, 2009

Little did we know it was a busy time at the beach. A friend and I decided to stay here. The room was small, and the walls were paper thin. I had to turn up out tv to drown out the tv in the next room. The AC/heat wouldn't work right. It was okay for the money, but I will not be returning.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2009

We were doing some work in Georgetown, SC and needed to stay over night. Some friends had told us about a nice hotel in Georgetown but we figured that we could get the same rate or close to it if we took that 30 min ride to Myrtle Beach in addition to it being an ocean front room.

Needless to say, we were not disappointed. This was our second stay at SandCastle but at a different location than at first. We look forward to going back again in the near future for our anniversary and having a little more time to really enjoy ourselves. Even though I would not have traded that one night and the peace that came along with it for anything in the world.

Samuel & Joyce Carson

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2009

This was a very clean hotel with a great view. Would love to see a restaurant there. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2009

Warning, their advertisments are a scam. I subscribed to their e-mail service a got an e-mail today saying 50% off if you book within the next 72 hours. Well this is nice, as I checked the rates yesterday and the "standard" non discounted rate was $91 for Room type E for the week in June.

So I went back in with the EXACT same reservation with 50% off and it comes up $74. Hummmm, something wrong there!

So I went back and clicked the "rates" button on their site. Again the "standard" non discounted rate is $91.

So I call them, they said their standard rate is $130 per night, and the $91 rate I found online is already discounted 30%. I asked them where I can find the "standard" rates at, he said it is listed on their rates section. So I click on "Rates" and again with NO discount applied the "Standard" rate was $91 average per night.

So I asked him again, where I can find your "Standard Rate" of $130 that you claim, well... he couldn't. He just went around in circles and could not show me where it says the standard rate was $130.

I went to this place once and am subscribed to their e-mail list, but I am going to unsubscribe and consider other places for our next trip to Myrtle Beach. I don't like hotels that use "false" advertising and gimics like this. Makes they look terrible and what a waste of time trying to figure all this out.

When you say 50% off, give the people 50% off! Don't try to scam us, terrible decision by management!

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank GelDude
managermanager, General Manager at Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort at the Pavilion, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2009

We are sorry to hear about your problem with our reservation system. We have discounts available on-line for 25% to 30% off our rack rate. The rack rate will only be available when the hotel is 80% booked for the dates requested. As the internet and our reservation staff books rooms our rates rise. We offered our guest a 50% discount to book with-in 72 hours. This has been a great seller and lots of reservations have been booked. Some time periods the rates have already reached rack. In June the 50% rate is $65.00 to $ 74.00, our rack rate of $120.00 to $152.00 has not become available yet.

Reviewed January 22, 2009

We have stayed at the Sandcastle at the Pavilion more than once this year and will stay many more times. My husband and I stayed at the Sandcastle and loved it so much when my daughter asked me to go to the beach with her and my granddaughter we never thought twice...it had to be Sandcastle at the Pavilion. She and I had only been back a couple of weeks and my husband and I went back to Myrtle Beach, back to the Sandcastle. The service at the Sandcastle is second to none.

We met at Myrtle Beach 42 years ago and have returned to the beach many, many times. Over the years we have stayed at several places, but after staying and the Sandcastle this will be the place for us.

We have stayed in different areas of the motel, but have had a great view each time.

One day during our stay in November, our three granddaughters and daughter stopped by to visit us. Since they were on their way home from school they decided to do their homework while we visited. There was just one problem, they didn't have enough pencils to go around. The granddaughters and I went down to the office to see if we might be able to borrow a pencil or two. The clerk on duty not only found pencils, made sure they were sharp, but even suggested the girls might take a dip in the pool once the homework was finished. The girls felt so special.

The staff at the Sandcastle always make us feel not only like special guests, but family. There is always a genuine warmness from the staff. Whether we are passing a staff member in the elevator, or outside, or in the office area, the staff is great. It is so nice to be appreciated as a guest.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2009

This was my first time at The Sancastle, all though it was in November the price was still better than many places. We loved the location, it's very easy to get in and out and close to many places we like to go. I will deffinatly stay there again. GREAT place.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family