“Another great 2 weeks at the Sandcastle”

Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort at the Pavilion
Ranked #137 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Montreal, Canada
“Another great 2 weeks at the Sandcastle”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was the 10th year that we have stayed at this hotel. The service and the daily room care were exceptional as usual. The staff was courteous, kind and helpful. The grounds are well maintained and very clean. The hotel is well located and within walking distance of many great places. Thanks for a great 2 weeks. We are already booked in for next year

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Robert K
Chris B, Office Manager at Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort at the Pavilion, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Robert K,

We appreciate your return visits to our hotel. Its great to see when guests enjoy spending their vacations with us year after year. We look forward to seeing you again next year and many years after that.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Falcon, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We Stayed 9-23-13 at Sandcastle, and we had a great time at this hotel. Everything was very clean inside-outside. we will stay there again God willing. Thanks you Sandcastle for everything.the staff was very helpful end the people that clean the rooms clean them every day.

Room Tip: higher floors are more quieter and excellent view of the ocean
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Angie M
Delgado Family,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We love seeing familys have an enjoyable vacation in Myrtle Beach. Safe travels and we hope to see you again in the future!
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Our stay at the Sandcastle was WONDERFUL. Everyone there is really GREAT. They see to all your needs.Rooms are clean .Everyone has a smile on there face.We have stayed there 2 or 3 times.Its perfect walking distance to anywhere .We always stay there when we go to Myrtle Beach.Wouldnt think of staying anywhere else.THANKS AGAIN Sandcastle /We will definitely be back to stay again. Debbie and Basil Rice

Room Tip: we always get a oceanfront and its perfect .Quite and peaceful.the higher the floor the better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank basilrice
Debbie and Basil,

We are glad that you had a wonderful time with us! We can't wait to see you again in the future. Safe travels!
nitro
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We just stayed at the Sandcastle 9/9-9/15. Our stay was great. The staff is more than helpful. Only 1 elevator is true. But, we had a very short wait for it at any time. Our room was clean and housekeeping cleaned it every day. The pool and grounds were also clean. The groundskeepers were out every morning. We have stayed here previously and will most definitely stay again. Clean and great location. Can't ask for more. Thank you Sandcastle for another great vacation.......

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lisawv61
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Morganton, North Carolina
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last year and it was OK, nothing fancy but suitable if your on a budget. So booked again for this year, went in August, big mistake! First let me say, I booked over the phone. I had been online and they had a special going on but I was wanting a condo room with 2 separate rooms and it was not showing up online. So got this lady who told me they had no OF 2 bedroom rooms left but did have several OV 2 bedroom rooms, she said with the OV I could see the ocean just fine and the street so it was like getting 2 views in one. Ok,I reserved the room, I stayed in OF standard room last year so I had no idea how the OVs were. Check in was typical with small line, same guy checked me in that checked me in last year, very monotone/robotic no "hi" or "welcome" but it was fine I had been traveling hours and was not in a happy mood either but if you expect that you don't get that here. Got to our room on the 8th floor and we wanted to turn and walk back out, all of us!! It was like I was not even in the same hotel as last year. Walk in and the chain lock was broken and dangling off the door. Straight ahead was the bathroom and to the left of the bathroom was a wall in which the wall had this large sideways crack in it and I could literally push the wall in! To the left was the kitchen area and we were told we would have a sofa bed but no, it was a wall bed that you had to move the small kitchen table and chairs up against the small loveseat that was up against the wall that was very close to the stove in order to pull down the wall bed, it was a very small area.To the right from the entrance was the bedroom with 2 double beds and the room was a larger room, I found it to be very spacious considering how small the kitchen area was. The view of the ocean, yea right, if we hung as far over the balcony as we could which meant in fear of maybe the balcony metal bar breaking and us falling, we were able to see SOME ocean, no way to see the ocean sitting normally from the balcony at all only a view of the other building to their hotel, close enough we could speak to the people on the balconies at the hotel across from us, we hated it! So we were lied to about the wonderful "OV". The kitchen had microwave with some rust to it but it did work, a full size stove that we never tried out, a full size fridge that did work well and was clean. There were plates and other kitchen items too. Upon arrival we had 6 towel sets and 4 people so we had plenty of towels and that was really nice. No extra soap or toilet paper but when maid service came I requested it and she gave me 1 of each. Beds are typical hard beds. Decor, outdated and the comforters were nasty nasty! I do not think they ever washed them! We left them in the floor and never used them, one had blood on it and the other looked and smelled of vomit. Carpet was filthy we always wore bedroom shoes in the room. Maid service would come and make up our beds but she never changed our sheets the whole week we were there. Some lamps did not work and were nasty looking. Now the best part, OMG the roaches!! Every day we killed, or tried to, at least 5 a day! It was awful. We refused to leave anything on the counters so everything went into the fridge. We refused to eat off anything supplied in the kitchen we bought paper plates and cups and kept them too in the fridge. We saw them in the kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom! It was awful. On our 3rd day there, there was a man who knocks on our door and says he is there to do a yearly spray for bugs and comes in and quickly without much care starts using this large silver canister and spraying in the room around some of the baseboards and stove in which he barely sprayed anything in the room was in and out!! Before I continue let me say, I did immediately request a refund for the room, I even TOOK a roach I killed as soon as I entered the room to the front desk but was told sorry, no more rooms available and you already paid, so I was stuck in this awful room with these nasty bugs. I told everyone I saw down to the front desk, while at the front desk, and back up to my room about the roaches and showing them the one I killed! Sooo unhappy I was not given another room or refund and I paid $1000 for this room I could not afford to just leave and go to another hotel or I would had left right then! When we would leave the room and come back there were ALWAYS roaches on the kitchen counter, trash can, and couch, just so nasty!! We hated even going to the room, we all dreaded it! The bathroom tub, that thing was dangerous! When you walk in it the bottom would give at least an inch and squeaked making these awful noises that was very loud and felt like we were going to fall through!! We were all scared to walk in it afraid it was going to fall right on through with us so we all sort of tried standing more with out feet on the outer edge of the inside of the tub to take showers and tried not to move much, we could not believe they had not replaced it, even my 7 year old was scared to stand in it! One of the shower faucet handles had black mold growing in it and was so loose it would not work I had to request it be fixed and when I complained of the tub they just said no one had ever complained of that problem before and they would "take note" of the problem. The air conditioning worked great I stay hot so I kept it set on 62 and froze everyone else. The room did not smell. We were on the 8th floor and one day the elevator was out. When checking in I specifically asked if there were any planned maintenance to the elevator since we would be so high up on the 8yh floor and I have a bad knee and the lady told me no, elevators were working fine and she knew of nothing. So of course I had to hobble with my little kids down 8 floors on a bad knee. We made sure to stay gone the entire day and when we got back that evening it was working but still it made noises that every time we got in it people were making comments as to if we were going to get stuck in it or not. whatever work they did sure did not make anyone feel any more secure with it. It was HOT HOT HOT in the hallways when we went due to the air units outside the rooms blowing hot air out of them. I mean some days it was easily over 100 degrees in the hallways, everyone we met complained about it. The maids did not seem to care to close the storage room doors on the floors for their cleaning supplies and we saw several with the blankets and comforters for the beds and stuff just thrown in the room in big piles on top of each other on the nasty floor, now I know why our comforters were so nasty! Maid service was nice, she always gave me anything I needed and on 2 occasions she came early and woke me up and she apologized over and over. If I needed extra of anything she gave it to me no problem so she was really friendly. She did not come our 2nd day there but did all the rest of our stay.Parking, what a nightmare but I knew this staying here again only this year was much worse than last! They have parking to load and unload directly in front of their building. There is also parking to one side of the main building but it is very limited. They have parking across the street, again, limited. THEN the other parking they have is 2 streets back and over away from the hotel to the right in a dark parking deck with no elevator. I never had to park there last year but did this year and felt very very very unsafe parking there and then having to walk all the way back IN THE DARK to the hotel! I never saw any guards at the parking garage either, but nothing was messed with vehicle wise so I assume there is some night guard or something but just know ahead of time parking when it is busy times of the year is awful! The outside pools, there is 1 indoor which was so overly packed we could not even get into the door most days, the outdoor pool is directly in front of the main building and was ok not cleaned very well, the kiddie pool was beside the outdoor pool and was so nasty even my daughter asked what is that brown thing floating in the pool it looks like a kid used the bathroom in it!! Not to mention the outside bar the have, is right BESIDE the kiddie pool, oh yes, so all the drunks that were hanging out there while I WAS THERE the kids got to sit and watch and hear everything! So not a good idea to have the bar at the kiddie pool! The lazy river is heated and was the cleanest of them all while we were there but that is not saying much! We got in it for 10 mins and decided it stunk and was just too nasty so got out and we never got in any of the pools otherwise, just not clean and looked nasty! I would NEVER stay at this place again, I would never recommend this place to anyone either! The roaches were just too much, it is bad enough to find 1 but to find several every single day was just absolutely disgusting. No one would sit on the couch, no one wanted to sleep in the beds afraid they would crawl in the bed or something, we did not keep our suitcases unzipped afraid they would crawl in them, never in my life have I stayed in a hotel and experienced a problem like this with roaches, never! I have been going to Myrtle Beach since I was born, so 35 years and never had roaches like this room had! If the roaches had not been there I still would say do not stay here, the room was horrible! Maybe it is the difference in the rooms, last year we stayed in standard non-eff OF room on 4rth floor and had no trouble with bugs or the room but this year we had the OV eff with the kitchen, whatever the reason it was disgusting and just nasty. One night after arriving late to our room we watched a roach go from under our door across the hall into the room across from ours so if anyone was in it I am sure they had problems too and that is why the guy came to do the "yearly bug spraying, of course it doesn't help if you spray a dab here and there then walk out! I can tell you, I am not one to complain, I have stayed in many hotels in my life, my husband is a trucker and I have been all over, traveled to MB more times than I can recall. I fully know and understand what a "budget" friendly hotel should be and what a nicer resort should be, stayed at them all, but this was terrible! The ONLY thing I can tell you that was good about this place is the location which is why I went back to it. You are about 1/2 mile from the main strip, you can sit on the beach and see the beautiful Sky Wheel at night lit up. We walked several times to the main strip and back. There is a restaurant on the pier that is within walking distance, there are a few restaurants right across the street from the hotel and one at the hotel itself but we did not eat at any of them. Other than location this place has nothing I can speak positively about. I am sure others have had better experiences than we did this trip, like i said I stayed here last year and that is why I went back, but will never ever stay at this hotel again or suggest anyone stay here, ever!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank shannon c

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We visited Sandcastle Resort last weekend for a friend's wedding. Honestly, we a little concerned about staying here because of the reviews, but they weren't exactly accurate. Our room was clean and bug free. The showers were hot. The pool area was very nice, and the tiki bar was great. Yes, they do require a deposit for a hairdryer, but you'd get the deposit back when you return the hairdryer. Its that kind of practice that allows locations like Sandcastle to keep their rates low. My ONLY complaint was having to wait so long for the elevator - there's only 1. Other than that, we had a great weekend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Chris B, Front Office Manager at Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort at the Pavilion, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are always happy to see when people enjoy vacations with us.

We hope you can come and visit us again in the future. Safe travels!
Holy Springs, NC
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The afternoon staff was wonderful and very helpful, but the staff in the mornings were impolite and not helpful. We were wating in line to ask a question and they kept taking guests behind us! When I mentioned this they looked at me like I was crazy! There was no hot water the first morning, but they fixed it very quickly. We asked about the attached restaurant and if it served breakfast, which it did. But when we went over there they told us we couldn't eat there because we weren't part of some bus tour. When I told them I was staying at the hotel they said I could come back after nine, it was only seven!

The room was fine and the pool was nice, although the do not enforce the pool hours; there were kids swimming and yelling all night long in the pool.

The view and closeness to the ocean...priceless!

Room Tip: You need to stay facing the ocean or else it is not worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family