“The worst hotel ever. Any good review must be from family or staff.”

Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort at the Pavilion
Ranked #144 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed June 28, 2008

My family and I booked this hotel based on the pictures on the internet. Everything looked great and family oriented. As soon as we checked in I knew that we would not be staying. Between the water dripping on my head at every doorway, the bugs in my room, the cigarette butts and beer bottles being thrown on my balcony I can't decide where to start. We were staying in an ocean front room on the bottom floor. When my kids went on the balcony to look at the ocean all we could smell were cigarettes. The people on the floor above us were throwing them off their balcony and they were landing on ours as well as the bushes below. Did I mention that the bushes were smoking because they were not put out first? When I told my husband he went to look and at that time a beer bottle was thrown from the above balcony. When I went to the front desk they told me that they should not be smoking and did talk to the other guests about it. Unfortunately they did not stop. My family and I went to find another hotel and were basically laughed at when we told the other hotels where we were staying. Apparently the Sandcastle now rents to 18 year olds and above. We were told that it is the party hotel. Not a good place for families at all. There are minors drinking beer all over the beach and leaving the trash all over the hotel and beach. I would not let my family bring our stuff in the room or take their shoes off. We checked in and out the same day. We unfortunately had to stay one night until the next hotel was ready. Talk about a nightmare between wondering if my balcony was going to catch on fire and the noise coming from the other rooms we did not sleep at all. We were up and out before 8am and were happier waiting without a hotel room until 3pm the next day when we could check in to another hotel. The website for this hotel does not show the filth and disgust of this place. There were bugs in the room, stains on the bedsheets, holes in the doors, dirt in the so called kitchen that hadn't been cleaned, visable dirt on carpet and dirty water dripping on my head everytime I walked in or out of the building. I wish I were exaggerating but I have pictures to prove all of it. DO NOT STAY HERE WITH KIDS!!!! There are drunken students all over this hotel. If you are a student and you want to cram as many drunken friends in one room as you can then go for it. Again the staff did act on our complaint right away but it just didn't help.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank twins1967

Reviewed June 26, 2008

Shower head in bathroom had pink mole. Roaches every night on balcony afraid to use or they might get in the room. Money taken from daughter's purse. Pay more stay somewhere else! The only good thing is location and the beach.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2008

The reviews are oh so true!!!! I wish I had read them before we made a reservation there. The pictures on the website are not the real place!!! There is nothing good to say about this place. The parking stinks, the rooms stink (litterly) it smells like a wet dog... the room we had was a dump, they should be ashamed of the prices they charge for this place. At check in we were given A real key to open the door not the updated card system (I knew we were in trouble at that moment) the room was supposed to be non smoking, but It smelled like a cigarette factory , there was no window in the front room next to the door,( I felt as though I was a prisoner in that room) the air conditioner did not work at all,(they had old box fans in the room) the bathroom was disgusting, the beds were scarey to even sit on let alone sleep in, we slept on top of the sheets , the carpet was so dirty I didn't take my shoes off . I did not sleep all night because of the smell, the heat, and I felt like bugs were crawling all over me. The kitchen (or so they called it a kitchen) was not even close to something I would prepare food for my family in, and the elevator!! It is a stinky, hot, old, elevator and did I mention the unfriendly staff ??? They are so rude! It is sad these people are so miserable but working in a dump like that I can see why... There is absolutely nothing I can say nice about this place. It was so bad we checked out the next morning, I was willing to loose our money just to get out of that place... After we left I had to wash all our clothes to try to get the smell of cigarettes, and mildew out of them. We found a beautiful place to stay the next morning and it was the best vacation after that.... Please, Please, Please don't stay here even if it was free........

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
CustomerReplies, Customer Relations at Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort at the Pavilion, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2008

Dear My3Plus2,

I am saddened that you found our hotel a disappointment.

Our front desk is open 24 hours daily for just such complaints. We gladly move any guests who find the room assigned unattractive.

It appears that you were placed in a room previously designated smoking. We would have been honored to move your group to a non smoking room had you requested.

Reviewed May 14, 2008

I recently stayed at this hotel and it was prefect for what I needed. It wasn't the most fancy hotel in the area but it was clean enough for my liking. We were told they had remodeled but all they had done we repainted and new beds. I DIDN"T feel as if bugs were crawling over me while a sleep however. The location was great!!! The peir was just a walk down the beach along with fun shoping centers. Broadway and Barefoot was a straight shot drive to get to aswell.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 13, 2008

Myrtle beach hotel.
My Husband and I stayed at the Sandcastle at the Pavillion Hotel for 1 week in April. It was great. the workers were wonderful. The man at the desk was very helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean. Beautiful pool with cabana. it was great. Can't wait to go back. there is so much to see and do and the beach is absolutely beautiful! We went to shows and they were all great!

Reviewed May 12, 2008

My husband and I had made a reservtion for May 4th till the 8th of the month but were having such a fabulous time at the Sandcastle that we ended up staying 2 more nights. We could not have been treated nicer from any of the staff. From the owner down to the cleaning people everyone was so much help and went the extra mile to make our stay there just great. Branden who runs the cabana bar learned it was our anniversary on the 7th and treated us like a king and his queen that night. I don't think you can find a resort were you are treated so great everyday and see so many smiling face day in and day out. We will be going back to the Sandcastle again and again. I recommend this resort to all. Thank you all for everything.
Clyde and Darleen Hogg
May 2008

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 29, 2008

My wife and two children just spent spring break 2008 at the Sandcastle in Myrtle Beach. This hotel is not fancy, but is very acceptable if you are looking for a decent clean room, comfortable beds, and a great view of the ocean. We stayed 4 nights at the hotel. In Florida, a hotel like this woud cost 3 times as much. Although the hotel was full of kids for spring break, we never heard any noise. The manager put us on the top floor in a corner. It was quiet as could be. The a/c worked great and the queen beds were true regular size queen beds. Don't get me wrong, this place is not fancy, but is a great value on the ocean. While we were there, it was too cold to swim, but the outdoor pools were kept crystal clean. The indoor pool was small and crowded. We never used it. One of the nice features of this hotel is that it is close to lots of fun stuff in Myrtle Beach. We spent a lot of time at Pier 14. The food there is great. The breakfast (eggs and flounder for $7) was fantastic. They had great early bird specials for $10 for dinner. That included flounder, baked potato, green beans, and a salad. My son and I fished all day on the pier for $12 including rod rental. Pass on the Ripley attractions in town. They were a rip off. The Sandcastle was a great hotel close to lots of fun stuff. I would stay there again in a second.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family