“Perspective is everything!”

Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort at the Pavilion
Ranked #139 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I find the rooms to be equal in comfort and cleanliness to any other place I stay in my travels. This is my resort at least twice yearly, sometimes three or four times. I find the front desk personnel to be friendly, helpful and professional. The cleaning staff is friendly and efficient. The location is perfect and convenient. I enjoy the pavilion area. Everything you could possibly desire is nearby. I think your outlook of this resort depends on circumstances and situations beyond their control.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise whether A/C unit, foot traffic or vocal (usually).
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffery M

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Please let this so called Oceanfront Resort be your last resort!!!!! This was no way near a resort, more like a motel! The hallway smelled like corn chips and hot, beds were not comfortable felt every bedspring, pillows flat. Balcony rail was loose!!!! It made me feel itchy. And throwing some paint on old used furniture is not renovated. And dark carpet isn’t a plus because we couldn’t tell if the was truly clean or not. House Keeping was so loud in the mornings, we just kept our don’t disturb sign on the door. And another thing I am glad we brought our own towels and things to wash with. They looked ok but the room was such a disappointment we didn’t take any chances. Myrtle Beach needs a makeover with a lot of hotels/resorts! It’s a rip-off . The location was great! I wish it was a better place to stay for the price during the peak season.

1  Thank STTBroncos
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed here with my wife and children, both last year and again this June. If you look at my profile I gave them great reviews last year....not this time. Room was disgusting. Every night we saw roaches in the bathroom! I took a pic with my iPhone and showed the desk clerk, who informed me that was a Palmetto bug, and nothing like a roach..After a quick check of the Internet, we found that to be untrue. The pool is nice, and so is the location, and we did get a super deal for ocean front accommodations, but when you enter your room, that is when you realize there is a reason for the special pricing.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank hoosier73
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I recently visited Myrtle Beach SC and made reservations at the Sandcastle and it was the biggest mistake ever. The room we stayed in was nasty. The carpet was soaked due to a malfunction with the air conditioner. The dresser had water damage and was in horrible shape. The sliding door to the balcony was really hard to open. The wifi never worked even with their passcode. Someone above us was constantly spilling something off their balcony. Once it was beer and then they threw the beer bottles off the 9th floor balcony. We were sitting in the lounge chairs in back of the hotel and someone threw a towel in which they had set on fire off the 4th floor balcony. The maid came to the door and asked if we needed anything in which I replied we needed towels and she sighed and said a few choice nasty words and told me she would be back shortly. I called the front desk to tell them about the a/c and they were very rude. There was very little parking. The maid never cleaned our room...no actually she came in once and made one bed and restocked the shampoo and conditioner...wow! We stayed here for 3 nights and it was the worst 3 nights of my life. The beds were really uncomfortable and the pillows were really flat and there were only 2 per bed which wouldn't have been bad if they had any stuffing in them. The first time I stayed here was about 10 years ago and it was great....it has went down hill so bad. Nothing but a dirty nasty party hotel with rude service!!!

3  Thank manna_1980
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Based on many negative reviews my family of four and I were hesitant to choose the Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort at Myrtle Beach, but decided to go for it eventually.

Overall the hotel was great. We had plenty of clean towels already in the room, there were a total of four beds and two TVs, a great view of the ocean, and a friendly staff.

On the other hand the location is pretty bad unless you enjoy very an unreliable bus system that is $1.50 each way or you enjoy really long walks to anywhere you want to go or you enjoy loosing a good parking spot just to sit in another "parking lot" out on the strip and paying to park. Also the parking garage is a little funky as it was built later on. Another thing is this is first hotel I have ever stayed at where I had to pay for breakfast. As far as the hotel goes some recent renovations have been make, but the Atlantic Ocean is taking her toll on the sandcastle.

For just under $200 a night it is very good hotel and offers many amenities and the staff is nice and helpful.

1  Thank Nathan G
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We planned a spur of the moment trip to the beach and came across this hotel, even after reading all the bad reviews we thought how bad could it really be.... oh we were wrong! This place is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I don't recommend it to anyone, even if you are trying to be cheap!! We called to make sure we could have 2 cars even if we were only booking one room and the lady we spoke with told us sure! Come to find out we were only allowed one parking pass and the rude workers here accused us of lying about calling to double check about the parking. We were not informed that there is a "back parking lot" and parking garage that is for the customers as well. Luckily we found a parking spot close to the hotel because both of the back lots were not lit up at all and were located a block from the hotel. After checking in, we used the stairs to find our room (BIG MISTAKE), they smelled like urine had been there for weeks! We were told that a sewer line had busted in the stairwell... if that was the case I think they should have cleaned and sanitized the stairs. The smell in the whole hotel was sickening. We walked in our room, which also smelled horrible! We ended up using a whole bottle of air-freshener in three days! None of the hotel staff was friendly or would help you with anything. I talked with several other families that were staying here also and they said they were very displeased with the hotel as well! One family we spoke with also warned us about leaving valuables in the room because they had things stole from them. We had to hide all of our stuff and hope that it was there when we got back every day. These are the things you should not have to worry about when you are on vacation, so I will NEVER stay at this hotel or recommend it to anyone! We had the WORST experience with this hotel and their staff!! DO NOT STAY HERE, even if you think the reviews aren't that bad STAY AWAY!!!

3  Thank Meagan W
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Okay, when I read reviews I like all the information possible so I will make this as informative as possible. This was the 1st time staying at this place. It is not a resort, it is your average hotel. Arrived at 4pm took all of 5 minutes to complete check-in (had reservations I made online) received 2 room key cards, map of building, and done. Customer service, he sounded like a recording with absolutely NO personality but I guess they cannot all be friendly. Found a luggage cart, which was hard to find when busy, got everything into the room then on to park my car. Parking is AWFUL at this place! We NEVER were able to find a parking space at the hotel or across the street so we had to park a block over and back in a parking garage with no elevator and walk. So it is across the main st., across a large parking lot, across another street that is not well lit at night in a parking garage that had the smallest parking spaces ever especially if you are driving a SUV! As for the room, stayed on 6th floor oceanfront. I got the room during an online special for $89 a night. We were in the middle building and the pools are in front of the building, then the grassy area, then the beach. I would not want below the 6th floor and would have prefered a higher floor but view of the ocean was great. While sitting on the balcony I could hear and see all the pool activity and people in the lounge chairs at the pool could see me sitting on my balcony. We felt like everyone laying in the lounge chairs wass starring at usBalcony had 2 plastic chairs and was a regular sized balcony but the air conditioner does blow hot air on anyone sitting on that side of the balcony. I could hear the ocean just fine from in the room. The room itself...it def. needs updating! It says on the website new paint and etc but it looks like a slapped on sloppy paint job in a bright light tealish something color. I would NOT walk without shoes on in the room but my mother walked with socks and they were black within an hour. Under the little area beside the mini fridge was some chuncky yellowish stuff along the carpet edge and around the trash can.Beds were very uncomfortable to me but okay to the rest of my family. Sheets were clean, bedspread looked okay but could tell they had not been washed. No extra pillows just your standard 2 per bed. Had a college dorm size mini fridge and a small microwave, both worked and were clean. Had a room safe in the room but we did not use it, could not get it to work right. TV was an older tv but it worked fine with no issues.Bathroom was small, smaller than the pics they have online. You have to move to the side to be able to shut the door to get into the shower or use the bathroom.Toilet was clean and worked fine upon arrival. Shower curtain was not clean, had stains and in all the corners of the bathroom and around edges were dirty and dirt on walls, nothing major but def. noticeable. They give you cheap basic 1 bar of soap for sink and 1 bar for tub, 1 tiny no name bottle of shampoo with conditioner and 1 tiny bottle of lotion, a box of tissues, and an extra roll of toilet paper. Getting 1 bar of soap per day from the maid was like trying to pull teeth! Had a wall socket that we could NOT use, it was slightlyout of the wall partially so we made sure to not be around it. Lampshades were old and need to be replaced and 2 lamps were broken where you would turn them on at. You can only adjust the air by 2 degrees but it worked very good for us. Maid service, oh my gosh the maid service! We had 2 different maids and they would come at all times so we never knew when to expect them. They would be working and we could hear them next door so we would get everything ready for them and they would totally skip our room and come back hours later. One maid was rude as could be! She would take our DIRTY towels, count each one we gave her, then hand us back clean towels for every one we gave her. Forget about asking for extra, no way she said! We had 4 people but could not get towels for 4 people they would ONLY give us 3! I found it pretty gross watching her take other peoples nasty towels in her hands, who knows what was on them, yuck, throw them in the dirty laundry bin, then reach around and grab clean towels and hand to everyone and continue on to the next room doing the same thing, I would suggest they wear gloves or something to make it more sanitary! Plus, the towels and washclothes were not always clean, one time we had a towel with a large wad of black long stringy hairs inside the towel when we unfolded it and 1 towel that looked like dried brown smudges and several others with stains, really do not want to know what the brown dried up smudges were! One of the maids was very loud, the same one that was rude to us, she would be talking so loud in the hallways to other workers/people there it would wake us up, she obviousely had no respect for the people staying there. Most days she came we were in our room and she would NOT come in, she told ME to change my trash cans and hand her the bags tied, she told ME to get my dirty towels and bring to her and she would hand me everything back at the door, she would not come in and vaccuum or do anything like that if we were in our room. One day while on the beach she/they did come and they did vaccuum and make up the beds, but did not change the sheets. The whole week we slept on the same sheets. I also like to mention one of the maids used a washcloth to clean another room, bathroom and all, then went to the next room and used the same washcloth to clean that room. I think using a new clean washcloth for each room is way more sanitary! All hours of the day upon walking out of the only elevator they had and down the hall there were always very large bins piled full of dirty laundry and many of them lined up along the wall waiting to get washed and dried. Elevator worked fine for us, we never really had a long wait. Halls of building were sort of stinky and were SUPER hot. I could hear the next room when they used the microwave and when using the bathroom. Bathroom water pressure SUCKED! Everyone in my family hated the hot then suddenly cold water then back to burning hot and no pressure at all. My shower at home has more pressure.We did not eat at the Italian restaurant on site nor the breakfast they served. Italian food was costly there with some plates costing $18-22 per item so we preferred Olive Garden. Restaurant was next to our building in south tower but never entered that building. Also never got into the pools. The bar at the pool had music so loud I would not had been able to hear myself think, on top of everyone bringing their own radios and playing them, the kids yelling, the drunk people talking loud at the bar at the pool, just never wanted my kids around all of that. I wanted peace and relaxation not that. From my balcony looking straight down the pools were NOT that clean looking, I could see dirt and sediment in the bottom of the pool really bad so I refused to get in their pools or allow my kids to get in them. Did not look at or try the indoor pool or heated pools either. They did close the pools at 10pm some nights they didn't run people out until closer to 11 but they did seem pretty strict about that rule while I was there. Internet was okay, upon arrival on the map of the building I was given in the upper right corner was the password for the Internet. I was able to connect fine and it worked fine. Ice was free, had ice bucket in room and would have to take elevator down to the 1st floor and ice machine was right beside the elevator and it worked fine. Customer service at the hotel, obviousely dislike their job or just no personality. No one ever said hi to us entering or exiting the building, no one asked how we were or anything at all, asked if someone could give us a reference to a nice place to eat and they just looked at me and shrugged and told me to take my pick, not very helpful. They do have a touch screen monitor in the lobby that list some places to eat at or go to but was hoping for some true local advice. They do have what seems to be pretty good security as they had them patrolling the building every little bit making rounds, I felt safe there at night. Check out was simple, handed them the 2 room keys told them to which room and out the door I went.This place is within walking distance to the grand strand, I would say 3/4 a mile guessing. From the beach in front of hotel we could see the Skywheel every night and all the colors and was very nice. Pier is within walking distance too and there is a restaurant on the pier too.There is a cafe across the street and then just past it up the street another small grill place and Ben & Jerrys and if you walk back a block from Ben & Jerrys there is a Shoney's and some gift shops.All in all, this is your basic hotel, nothing fancy at all and not what I would consider a "resort". For the money I paid in peak season, for the oceanfront view I got, I do not think it was bad.It is in a very good location. A little more cleansliness and friendliness with some updates would have made my trip a 4 star rating! I am not picky, I do not complain, I have stayed at true 5 star resorts and some much worse than this place so I have seen it all. I TRULY hope they talk to the maids, clean a little better, update a few things, and please take on using more sanitary handling of the towels and cleaning of the rooms and this place would be well worth staying at for an oceanfront room for 5 nights tax and all for $500. It will never be a Hilton or luxury resort, but a basic and affordable hotel. Sorry for such a long review but hope it is helpful to others.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family