“First time...and we will be back!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Myrtle Beach
Ocean Lakes Family Campground
Central VA
“First time...and we will be back!”
Reviewed September 1, 2010

My husband's family has stayed at Ocean Lakes for about twenty years during the summer. We purchased a pop up camper a month ago, and this was our maiden voyage.
We arrived after midnight...the grounds were quiet. Quickly set up...go to bed...air conditioning died. So we roll down the canvas sides and get some sleep. Discover it is just a thrown breaker the next morning, and proceed to enjoy!
Bathhouses are bathhouses. They are roomy and clean. As clean as they can be with hundreds of people using them regularly. I was never skeeved out at all. Our three year old is potty training, and he used the bathhouse every day.
Never saw any issues with litter.
Never had any issues with noise. The noise problems are on the campsites that sit on the main roads going through. We were back a bit from the main drive and never had any issues. We did hear the larger trucks going in and out but that was to be expected. We slept too good on this trip1
Garbage was picked up routinely everyday. No problems!
Pool area was great and clean. Well maintained and supervised.
Beach was clean and well maintained.
Playground was clean and well maintained.
Two draw backs: The snack bars are cash only. The ATM does not work very well. So bring cash. Excellent hot breakfasts and pizza.
Nice park...we have reserved again for next year!
Not sure what other reviewers found wrong with OceanLakes, but they clearly have not driven through PirateLand. Oh wow...um no.

1 Thank StefCentralVA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My son ,whi is in college,and I decided to take a trip down Myrtle Beach to spend some time together. We decided to stay at Ocean Lakes because we used to go there when our kids were about 11-18 yrs. old. We had not gone in the past few years. I am so happy that we decided to make the trip !!!!! We rented a house and had an absolute great time!!! Ocean Lakes is a great place to take your family to. It has everything you can conceivably need!!! I hope to buy a house down there within the next three years and relocate to S.C. They have everything in that setting that anyone could wish for and the weather is great!! I can't wait until next summer to return----in fact, I might go down one more time in October before the terrible winter sets in!!
Karin Kolodzieski
Scranton, PA

• Stayed August 2010
Troutville, Virginia
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I'll get right to the point with the details.
The good:
Bathrooms were clean and cooled - very nice.
Campground was clean and well maintained.
Everyone we spoke to or had an interaction with, except for the one guy at the store that was having a bad day.
Beach was nice and clean.
Nice arcade and snack bar.

The bad:
Too many campsites - not sure how many, but in the thousands counting the rental houses and condos.
One outdoor pool. This campground is unbelievably huge and there's only one outdoor pool. We went there in mid-August and it was absolutely jam-packed - I can't imagine what it's like around July 4th.

Now the big problem - the Golf carts. The campground is so huge that people bring golfcarts to get around - about half the people bring their own and the other half rent. It costs about $40/day (during summer) to rent a cart, which is roughly 2/3 the cost for the nice campsites, so that is a pretty big expense. It seems that the golf carts, for many of the campers, actually become a status symbol, with some of them costing $10,000+. Since we had kids, and we didn't have an extra $300/week to rent a golf cart, we had a constant two weeks of the kids complaining about us not having a golf cart. The golf carts present other problems - you can't find any parking spaces at the pool, at the beach, at the stores, at the rec center, etc. In general, the golf carts clog up the roads and the parking spaces. Also, there are tons of underage drivers driving the carts around not following standard road rules.

They have wireless internet available, for a fee, and though it wasn't real cheap I bought it anyway. The problem is that it was unreliable, frequently dropping out, and was slow unless you waited until about 1am in the morning.

One final word of warning, when we first got there I thought it was strange that they had an awning center in the campground but after having my own awning destroyed and seeing dozens of others destroyed during our stay, I caution everyone to be very careful. Storms come up quick and they are sometimes very violent so be careful. If we ever stay here again, we will put up our awning every night and whenever we won't be at the campsite.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank jchumley
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 8, 2010

My family (husband, two children, and I) stayed at Ocean Lakes for a week. The campground is huge, comprised of hundreds of campsites, privately owned homes, and seasonal rentals. As a result, golf carts are very popular. We found this to be rather irritating, as cruising is quite popular, especially among teens. The campground is also a bit rowdy, and the quiet hours and fireworks restrictions were not enforced. The campground is relatively clean, however, and has nice amenities. The staff is also courteous and accomodating. The campground is rather spread out though, and there is little vehicle parking, which is inconvenient. The stretch of beach where Ocean Lakes lies is shared by other resorts, and as such is very crowded. Furthermore, people set up their tents, cabanas, etc. on the beach quite early in the morning to reserve their spots, but don't actually occupy them until late morning or afternoon. Arriving after 10:00 a.m. makes finding a spot on the beach difficult. Overall, we had a nice time at this campground, but we still aren't likely to return.

4 Thank hfrancisco3878
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Registration: If you're tired after long drive be prepared to wait approximately 20-30 minutes longer to register your vehicle so you can have a triangular cardboard paper that verifies(to security) your last date of stay on campground.

Rental property: Nice, big and clean. Home has 5 beds and 3 baths, washer/dryer, outside enclosed shower, and if the owners have one a golf cart for $2000.00/week. Under house is open concept, elevated and built on wood beams so you park underneath the home.

Campground: Mostly paved roads but some dirt roads. Can only operate electrically powered vehicles around for example golf cart or electric scooter. Has a decent size outdoor pool and enclosed pool, water splash area for small children. A baby pool, an arcade. Minature golf course. A small grocery store(Sandy Mart), laundry mat, burger and ice cream stand, recycling stations. Golf cart rentals. Little ponds and streams you can fish from. Basketball courts.

Beach: Clean, big area for golf cart parking. Beach is nice and umbrella and chairs are available for rental. Lifeguard on duty until approximately 5pm.

Security: Random patrols around campground 24 hours.

Overall enjoyed the stay but this place could be much better with some improvements.

• Stayed August 2010
4 Thank howyadodat
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed August 2, 2010

My teenage children and friends that all already have college classes completed were singled out by security and made examples of. Somehow by behaving exactly as all other teens, they were asked to leave. They were given alcohol by the neighbors in the house e-10 who also e-10 had a huge boom box that caused my hears to ring before 10am. Somehow the e-10 people were never checked by security. My wife and I were witness to all involved and because of the prejudice shown by OL security they would not listen to anything we had to say in our own defense. Our surrounding neighbors even tried to make statements about the activity in e-10 and how they were at fault not us. Security had us in their gun sites and would not listen. There still exists the well known "scams" going on in that campground between vrbo and OL people. We were innocent people caught in some larger scam and vrbo and OL know it. But I am just one man and that is my opinion!!!

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank travelweary1000
Valdese, North Carolina
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We recently encountered a vacation nightmare. We rented a small, but what appeared by photos on VRBO, to be a clean house. When we arrived the house was completely trashed. There are really no words to describe this house other than FILTHY DIRTY. The pillows were black. Broken vents left holes in the floor. The rugs were so dirty you would not feel safe walking barefoot on them. Lights didn't work, washer (as advertised) did not work, nor did the TV in the bedroom. The owners hired a cleaning crew to come out, however, we were told the house would not be ready for us that night. After driving 6 hours to get there and having three small children who were very tired, our only option was to rent another house for the week. My husband and I agreed it would take WAY more than someone coming in and sweeping, mopping or even purchasing new pillows. This house needed a SCRUBBING from ceiling to floor. The owners "require" the renters to clean before departing. I say "require" because obviously the house had not been cleaned in a very long time. The owner has no one to check behind the renters to make sure the house is clean, and the owner lives 6 hours away from the property. By dealing with this owner, I have learned that he is a very crooked man. I left his first and only review on VRBO, "it was a negative one." However, all of a sudden three other people have left 5 out of 5 star reviews. I find this amusing because even if the house would have been cleaned upon our arrival, it still would not have been entitled to a five star review considering they had major electrical issues and so on. One of the reviews had the same date of arrival as mine was?? The other two were submitted on the exact day and one I know for sure was the owner himself because his "guest name" was part of his personal email address. I have never been the type to take someone to court, but this owner refuses to refund ANY of our money. I really hope that this review will keep someone else from encountering this problem with this owner. The property is located at 1724 Neptune Drive, Ocean Lakes. My family LOVES to vacation at Ocean Lakes, however, you have to be very careful when renting through the private owners. I would not recommend this house to a family. I should have seen the "red flag", when first calling to make reservations. - You have to pay your deposit and THEN you will recieve a letter from them stating you get "NO REFUNDS". Shouldn't you get that letter before you pay any money, or at least be told upfront when you call? I do have photos of what we encountered, if anyone is interested in seeing what this house REALLY looks like, feel free to email me.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
#22 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach Resort
Myrtle Beach Resort
#63 of 209 in Myrtle Beach

Been to Ocean Lakes Family Campground? Share your experiences!