We recently encountered a vacation nightmare. We rented a small, but what appeared by photos on VRBO, to be a clean house. When we arrived the house was completely trashed. There are really no words to describe this house other than FILTHY DIRTY. The pillows were black. Broken vents left holes in the floor. The rugs were so dirty you would not feel safe walking barefoot on them. Lights didn't work, washer (as advertised) did not work, nor did the TV in the bedroom. The owners hired a cleaning crew to come out, however, we were told the house would not be ready for us that night. After driving 6 hours to get there and having three small children who were very tired, our only option was to rent another house for the week. My husband and I agreed it would take WAY more than someone coming in and sweeping, mopping or even purchasing new pillows. This house needed a SCRUBBING from ceiling to floor. The owners "require" the renters to clean before departing. I say "require" because obviously the house had not been cleaned in a very long time. The owner has no one to check behind the renters to make sure the house is clean, and the owner lives 6 hours away from the property. By dealing with this owner, I have learned that he is a very crooked man. I left his first and only review on VRBO, "it was a negative one." However, all of a sudden three other people have left 5 out of 5 star reviews. I find this amusing because even if the house would have been cleaned upon our arrival, it still would not have been entitled to a five star review considering they had major electrical issues and so on. One of the reviews had the same date of arrival as mine was?? The other two were submitted on the exact day and one I know for sure was the owner himself because his "guest name" was part of his personal email address. I have never been the type to take someone to court, but this owner refuses to refund ANY of our money. I really hope that this review will keep someone else from encountering this problem with this owner. The property is located at 1724 Neptune Drive, Ocean Lakes. My family LOVES to vacation at Ocean Lakes, however, you have to be very careful when renting through the private owners. I would not recommend this house to a family. I should have seen the "red flag", when first calling to make reservations. - You have to pay your deposit and THEN you will recieve a letter from them stating you get "NO REFUNDS". Shouldn't you get that letter before you pay any money, or at least be told upfront when you call? I do have photos of what we encountered, if anyone is interested in seeing what this house REALLY looks like, feel free to email me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This national award-winning park is known for its amenities, year round activities, and outstanding customer service. Opened in 1971, it is family owned. Ocean Lakes is the 5-time winner of National "RV Park of the Year" by ARVC (2012/2011, 2008/09, 2003-03, 1999 & 1997); received an "A" Grade (2011, 2010, 2009 & 2008) by its guests through GuestRated; and is the 2006 South Carolina Governor’s Cup winner. Located on 310 oceanfront acres, Ocean Lakes Family Campground features 893 campsites (600 with concrete pads) and 300 rental houses (beach houses, park models, etc.) reserved through Ocean Lakes Properties. All campsites are pull-through and generally accommodate 40' campers or larger with slideouts on both sides. Tents are welcome. Campsite rates include: 20-30-50 amp electric, water, sewer, 70-channel cable TV hookup, phone jack with free local calls, wi-fi, picnic table, the number in your family and pet(s), see policies on web. Campsite reservations are made up to 18 months in advance according to site availability and sites are reserved by specific site number. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Lakes Family Campground Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Ocean Lake Family Campground
- Ocean Lakes Campground Myrtle Beach