“Renter BEWARE!!! 1724 Ocean Lakes- I would NOT recommend this house to anyone.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Myrtle Beach
Ocean Lakes Family Campground
Valdese, North Carolina
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We recently encountered a vacation nightmare. We rented a small, but what appeared by photos on VRBO, to be a clean house. When we arrived the house was completely trashed. There are really no words to describe this house other than FILTHY DIRTY. The pillows were black. Broken vents left holes in the floor. The rugs were so dirty you would not feel safe walking barefoot on them. Lights didn't work, washer (as advertised) did not work, nor did the TV in the bedroom. The owners hired a cleaning crew to come out, however, we were told the house would not be ready for us that night. After driving 6 hours to get there and having three small children who were very tired, our only option was to rent another house for the week. My husband and I agreed it would take WAY more than someone coming in and sweeping, mopping or even purchasing new pillows. This house needed a SCRUBBING from ceiling to floor. The owners "require" the renters to clean before departing. I say "require" because obviously the house had not been cleaned in a very long time. The owner has no one to check behind the renters to make sure the house is clean, and the owner lives 6 hours away from the property. By dealing with this owner, I have learned that he is a very crooked man. I left his first and only review on VRBO, "it was a negative one." However, all of a sudden three other people have left 5 out of 5 star reviews. I find this amusing because even if the house would have been cleaned upon our arrival, it still would not have been entitled to a five star review considering they had major electrical issues and so on. One of the reviews had the same date of arrival as mine was?? The other two were submitted on the exact day and one I know for sure was the owner himself because his "guest name" was part of his personal email address. I have never been the type to take someone to court, but this owner refuses to refund ANY of our money. I really hope that this review will keep someone else from encountering this problem with this owner. The property is located at 1724 Neptune Drive, Ocean Lakes. My family LOVES to vacation at Ocean Lakes, however, you have to be very careful when renting through the private owners. I would not recommend this house to a family. I should have seen the "red flag", when first calling to make reservations. - You have to pay your deposit and THEN you will recieve a letter from them stating you get "NO REFUNDS". Shouldn't you get that letter before you pay any money, or at least be told upfront when you call? I do have photos of what we encountered, if anyone is interested in seeing what this house REALLY looks like, feel free to email me.

85 Thank luv2teach35

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Monroe, Georgia
Reviewed July 9, 2010

The amenities were nice, the camground was clean and the beach was beautiful but oh my goodness, I don't believe there could be anymore golf carts. In the evening, all of the teenagers (and some adults) were cruising the campground in their golf carts with the radios blasting. It was quite annoying. Luckily, when quiet time came around (11:00 PM), security would patrol the campground and instruct people to park the carts. Also, our last night there, someone stole our cooler (with all of the beer in it). I have been camping hundreds of times and that was the first time I have ever had anything stolen.

• Stayed June 2010
5 Thank campdog
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We just returned from a week at OL in a Pop-up Camper that I have. We were in the 2000 area where all the Big Boys were and me and my cousin were the only PUP's in that area. We had a GREAT time in the camper. OL has grown so much from when my wifes family owned a house/trailer before Hugo hit.

We camped with 2 boys (8 and 6) and cousin camped with a boy (6) and a girl (10). We were VERY close to the beach which made it really nice to get back and forth. It was HOT but we expected it to be. We stayed in the water at the beach and one day went to the pool. The pool IS crowded and I agree that this campground needs another pool. Luckily it does have a separate little pool for the little ones and another pool where water squirtters and water bucket drops are located. Have to get there early to get a chair.

What I was very impressed with was the security guards at the end of the nights on the beach front road. YES there is golf cart cruising which we enjoyed and took part in on a couple of nights. At 11:00 the security guards shut it down and make everyone go home or elsewhere. I actually saw a SG pull over a cart for a person using fowl language. The Fireworks stopped at 11:00 also and all was quiet.

My cousin said that he stayed at a neighbor campground last year and this stuff went on all night and was more impressed with OL than the other campground.

The bath house was ALWAYS very clean and sometimes closed for cleaning. Which was okay since I know it was being cleaned.

The on-site store was very nice and prices were VERY comparable to the Wal-Mart down the road on ice and beach stuff.

Overall a great experience and we are booking now for a week next year.

charlotte, nc
Reviewed June 27, 2010

We stayed at Ocean Lakes at the advice of others who "loved the site because of the freedom it allowed teenagers". This couldn't have been farther from the truth. First of all, there is only one pool for this huge complex. There are so many people IN the pool, even at night, it is dangerous. People - large people are allowed to "chicken fight" on shoulders, kids are allowed to run totally unsupervised and NEVER called down by the lifeguard staff.

Our property was nice and roomy and not far from the beach, however, trash day was monday. From move in time on Saturday until Monday, we had to deal with overflowing trash cans that stunk so badly from the heat, you wanted to throw up walking to and from the beach saturday evening, sunday morning and evening and monday morning. I kept expecting a rat to run out in front of me it was so nasty.

Then, there are the golf carts. At sundown every night, there was a parade. We tried to walk to the pool one evening and were almost run over more than once. There was no way we could allow the kids to walk to the pool, miniture golf or play basketball alone safely.

In addition, twice while driving out of the park we almost hit children. One was a toddler standing in the middle of the road totally unsupervised.

Fireworks were also bad and can't believe it isn't a fire hazard. As close as the houses and campers are, it would only take ONE spark and the whole place would go up in smoke.

Oh. . . and internet and cell phone connection consisted of hanging over your porch in varying locations in which to obtain a signal.

Our family had a great time - we spent most of it on the beach, but will not return to the site. . . . it was NOTHING that we expected!!!!

7 Thank Lisa M
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I just returned from a week long stay at Ocean Lakes with my husband and 6 year old twins. My husband and I used to go to Ocean Lakes during the off season, before we had kids. We used to enjoy this campground so much. This was our first time going there during the summer with children. I definetely do not recommend going during the busy season. It's very crowded. The pools are so crowded that you can barely move and forget about finding a lounger by the pool. They are all taken. Our children could not ride their bikes around the campground because of all the golf carts and it was even hard to walk around the campground without almost getting run over. The main problem was the teenagers driving way too fast and not watching where they were going. This campground is also very loud. All the golf carts are playing music extremely loud and there are fireworks going off every night. Also, if you want to get some food or ice cream, plan on waiting in line for at least half an hour. This was definetely not the relaxing vacation we thought it would be and we will probably not return in the future.

9 Thank amyandmikemancuso
Ewing, Virginia
Reviewed May 28, 2010

My family stayed in the E-10 ocean front beach house. This house is absolutely beautiful with alot of room for a family of four (or more) to stay in. We loved Ocean Lakes. I use to go there and camp with my parents and brother when I was a little girl. There weren't any houses then, just campers and permanent camper sites. Ocean Lakes has really improved since the 80's. You can camp if you want to or stay in a house with everything you could possibly need. IT IS EXCELLENT !!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Roanoke, VA
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Just ended a five day stay at Ocean Lakes RV Park. The sites are not bad. The sites come with water, electric, sewer and cable. They even pick up your trash each morning. But... we saw numerous infractions of the campground's policies, and none of the Ocean Lakes employees said anything to them. The bad part is and the reason I won't go back is the unsupervised teenagers. We tried to go walking after dark and each night if we didn't get out of the way we would have been hit by some drunk underage teenagers driving golf carts with no respect for road signs, speed limits or pedestrians. Yes, I mean drunk. Golf carts are everywhere. And if the ones driving them are licensed and sixteen, then I'm sixteen. And believe me, I'm not sixteen.
As we walked by a restroom by the RV sites, a cart pulled up with about four teenagers that appeared so drunk, one of the girls could'nt walk into the bathhouse while letting everyone in a 100 foot radius know that she had to pee. Not what I'm trying to instill in my teenagers. We never saw camp "Security" do anything.
And did I mention quiet relaxing evenings at your site? Well you can forget that. I never saw a golf cart with a CD player with mondo speakers blaring until this trip. But, if you haven't, get ready, you'll be able to hear them all evening long.
Oh, did I mention fireworks going off every night? Enjoy!
It seems some folks just camp here so they can drive their golf carts up and down every road with no destination in mind with their 3 year old kid steering sitting on their lap or letting their 14 year olds to do whatever they want, how they want.
I've had quieter nights at a Motel 6 in Miami.
When I read how someone has stayed here every summer for how many years, I now feel sorry that they haven't ventured to other more beautiful RV beach campgrounds across our country.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
#22 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach Resort
Myrtle Beach Resort
#63 of 209 in Myrtle Beach

Been to Ocean Lakes Family Campground? Share your experiences!