“great camping experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Myrtle Beach
Ocean Lakes Family Campground
Tennessee, United States
“great camping experience”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

wow this is a small town all to itself...you can camp, eat, even a well stocked store on site so if you want to, just rent a golf cart for cruising and stay put. very clean even daily trash pickup. we cant wait to come back this year to camp!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Donna9080

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Dublin, Virginia
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

I have reviewed Ocean Lakes before but it has been several years ago so I thought it was time for a new review. We have stayed in the campground here probably six different times and have enjoyed it every time. This is a huge park. Almost like a little town. The campsites are spacious, bathhouses very modern and clean, lots of conveniences such as the very well stocked Sandy Mart, snack bars and laundromat. There is a really nice (but way too crowded) pool with an attached arcade/snack bar and a recreation program that has fun activities like karaoke. There is so much here that you really would not have to even leave the park during your stay if you didn't want to (except to buy beer because it is the only thing we needed that is not sold at the Sandy Mart). So many friendly campers here from everywhere. One of the best parts of camping here is meeting your neighbors and watching people.

As much as I love Ocean Lakes, I must say that this park is not for everyone. If you are looking for peace and quiet then go stay somewhere else. Always lots of activity and noise here. There are tons upon tons of people, dogs, kids, houses, campers, rv's, vehicles and golf carts. The golf carts traffic alone is insanity. If you do stay and want a little quieter area, I recommend getting a campsite or house farther from the beach and away from main camp roads. It's a fantastic fun place to stay though. Can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank kitten4762
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed from July 28 to Aug 4th. Let's start off with that after I booked our place I read alot of reviews of the place and then I began to doubt my decision on going there. Last time I was there is when I was 18. Which is nearly 20 years ago. Before our arrival I had several questions that I emailed ocean lakes about and each time I got a rather quick response which made happy. Upon our arrival I was literally in and out of the rental office in less than 3 minutes. Then we went to rent a golf cart which was about the same amount of time. both places were extremely friendly.our vacation started out good. I had read that security was a joke but each night we cruised with almost thousand people I constantly observed security trying to keep order in a somewhat chaotic scene. I commend them for how they handled it. I had also read bout it being ocean lakes fault that kids were out of control. But that falls on the parents of how kids act. We have a 12 and 9 ur old. My kids loved the place and they acted like they have sense about them cause that's how they were raised. I read bout no room on the beach. We went everyday at the same time and we had plenty of room. People complain bout partying should go stay up town and deal with all that then they would see ocean lakes handles itself pretty well .with prob over 10K guest at a time I think they deserve some credit. We plan on making ocean lakes our family tradition . In fact we are interested in buying a place there. To finish off. We absolutely loved our vacation. Oh the people that own 1768 was the nicest people we have met.they went out of there way to be as helpful as any one could be.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank mustang31
Pelzer, South Carolina
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

My family has been vacationing at Ocean Lakes for 20+ years. We've always had a great vacation and personally love seeing the teenagers have so much fun on the strip at night. However, this year we got a bad taste in our mouths about ocean lakes security. We were riding our 7 year old and our 12 year old up the strip to hand slap while playing our radio, and one of the security ladies (short blonde hair, at the intersection of the playground every night) came up to my husband and shouted in his face as if he was a 16 year old that if we didn't turn our radio off she would send us home. Mind you that a lot of people have bass playing radios souped up to play loud and all we have is a basic radio. The way she approached us scared our 7 year old and he doesn't want to come back. We are not drinkers and our music wasn't that loud especially not like some we heard. We are grown adults with kids and she was completely out of line to do that to us like we were drunken fools like a lot of people there. We've always loved ocean lakes but after the way my family was treated by security over "NOTHING " and my child being frightened by her I don't know at this point if we will be back. It really ruined our entire vacation. I know that some think the music and teenagers are out of hand but we love seeing them enjoy their selves. If someone is doing something wrong there is nothing wrong with being polite and asking people to turn down their music instead of scaring their kids half to death. I think she was just trying to impress someone because she walked away smiling,

• Stayed July 2012
7 Thank immdscott
Ohio
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We are new to camping at the beach. We decided on Ocean Lakes. We are so happy we did! We went down the 1st wk in July & decided to "store" our camper at thier facility. We went back at the end of July again(took our grandchilden) & our camper was on our site ready for us to hook up. That was so nice! A great place for kids! We have enjoyed it so much we are going back in Sept. That's 3 wks at this campground & I don't think that we'll try any other-we've been spoiled! The only draw back to Ocean Lakes is it is so huge that if you're not close to the ocean or pool, you'll have to drive your vehicle- if you don't rent one of their expensive golf carts. We don't have one, so we did take our bicycles. They need to have more parking designated for vehicles not just carts. In all, it's a great place to camp, so many nice people & the staff was great :)

2 Thank Susan A
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Packed in like Sardines! I don't even know how this place is even considered to be safe. I don't know how you could get an Ambulance or Fire Truck down the narrow streets if an emergency were to occur! They advertise that you can have four cars but then only give you parking passes for two and charge you $35 each fot the two additional passes. It was incredibly difficult to back in and out of the parking spots because the house in front of and behind were so freaking close. I have NEVER seen anything like this! Houses on top of houses cramped all together with these tiny little streets (golf cart size) to manuver on. Our unit (1021) was so dirty! In fact there were 3 pairs of underwear under one of the beds--Gross! The couch in the photos looked nice enough but was completely broken down. The TV in one of the kids rooms had the power button pushed through so you couldn't even turn it off and on. The living room area had a nice TV be the volume didn't work for most of the week. All of the kitchen ware was disgusting. The glasses had hard brown spots all over them, the pot holders were so grimey we couldn't even touch them. The dishwasher didn't work properly and you had to put the soap in the pre-wash cycle. You couldn't even drink the water... it was slimy! The bunkbeds in the kids room were falling apart and the mattresses were falling through the railings. The bedding and linens were also dirty. We tried to use the wI-fI and when we called to get the password they told us that is something we would have to get from the owner? WTH? We rented through Ocean Lakes-- why should we have to call the owenr? For nearly four Grand you think they could have done a little better! The houses are so close together you can't even make a phone call without the neighbor hearing your entire conversation. People were Everywhere! and the Trash smell was overwhelming as we made our way to the beach. Once we got to the beach there wasn't a spot to be had. Pop up's as far as the eye could see! 6 rows deep- and at some points you couldn't even see the ocean because there were so many people in front of you. My little nieces and nephews got yelled at for trying to build a sandcastle because they got sand on the chair of the woman next to them- but there was ZERO room! My sister decided to try the pool and it was dangerously over crowded. Again a lady yelled at my nieces and nephews because when they jumped in the pool it splashed water on her chair. Hello??? don't they call it the SPLASH ZONE????At night they do a traditional golf cart parade where 1000+ people "cruise" in their golf carts blaring music and clogging up the roads. The majority of drivers are 13-16 year old kids. I hated this place!!! and I will NEVER go back. Renters BEWARE this place is AWFUL-AWFUL-AWFUL!

Room Tip: Dont' pick unit 1021! The photos are nice- but the house is junk!
18 Thank Kelly S
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I booked this trip for my family which consists of my husband, myself, six kids ages 8, 10, 12, 14, 19, 25 and a 3 year old granddaughter. We stayed in a house in section C. We used to come here about 10 years ago and it was a wonderful place. Ocean Lakes is NOT what it used to be. The beach was completely overcrowded. You cannot see one square inch of sand. There is no place to throw a ball or even make a sand castle. It was like being in Manhattan during rush hour. No where to even set up chairs. People are rude and leave their garbage and cigarette butts all over the beach. There is a bunch of fireworks liter from the nights previous. The pool at ocean lakes is MUCH to small to accommodate all of the guests. There is NO swimming going on. Just a bunch of people standing in the pool much to close together to even swim or jump in. Golf carts are ridiculously over priced. $300 for a week. In the evenings, kids are riding around on carts looking to hook up with other kids. There is screaming and partying going on everywhere. There is a no one under the age of 16 driving the cars rule, but there should also be a no driving while drinking rule. People are just partying around acting like idiots. There is so much golf cart traffic that my boys could not even ride their skateboards in the street because I was afraid they would get hit. Quiet time is suppose to be at 11, but that doesn't happen. The people in the house directly next to us (which is extremely close) were partying outside on their deck to all hours of the night. Kept us up almost every night. The house we rented for $2700 was dirty with dead bugs on the window sills when we got there. The beds were awful and the pillows were old and flat. The TVs in every room were beyond old. The beach and the areas by the campers smell like garbage and urine. We went for a walk on the beach at night and saw several guys just peeing in the dunes. By day 3 no one wanted to go to the beach or the pool anymore because it was just more of a bother than it was worth. The ocean is so crowded with people you have to watch your children so they are not run into by some idiot on a boogie board. Bottom line - STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. We spent upwards of $4000 for this vacation and it was miserable.

26 Thank 6GRTKDS
#22 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
Caribbean Resort And Villas
Caribbean Resort And Villas
#25 of 209 in Myrtle Beach

Been to Ocean Lakes Family Campground? Share your experiences!