The Sea Watch Resort is owned by Wyndham Hotels, but managed by a property management company. After finding this out, I was surprised at the conditions of the hotel. Not that it was that bad, but given Wyndham is known for their upscale hotels, that this hotel wouldn't have prescribed the same hotel experience.
I'll start with the bad:
1) We were there a total of 5 days, 4 nights; for the first two days our bed was not made. We called the front desk and was told that if there is any article of clothing on the bed, the maids will not make the bed. Clearly our fault for leaving personal items on the bed...but would have been better had they told us at registration.
2) The beds were nothing like that you would get in a typical Wyndham hotel, unless you like firm mattresses.
3) There is a large RV park next door to the resort that has only one pool. The residents of that park crowd the pools at the Sea Watch when their RV pool is overcrowded. Again, this isn't a big deal...but, when the Sea Watch posts a sign that asks guests not to reserve chairs and you arrive at the pool with few chairs left due to a violation of that request, it's annoying. Even more so to find out some of those guests were from the RV park.
4) The room was adequate, again not of what I expected to be, Wyndham quality. The popcorn ceiling was peeling, but that's the only thing that I noticed wrong with the room.
5) The elevators will make the Dalai Lama go ballistic. There are only four elevators and with a full resort, you could wait for up to 10 minutes for an elevator. During our stay one elevator was typically out of service or being commandeered by resort staff. It was painful.
This hotel is a great resort for the family. The resort is basically split in to two separate facilities, separated by the vacation club rooms. It is situated right on the beach so, overcrowded pools or not, you can go hang out at the beach if you wanted to. My family and I went between the two all day long so, it was a lot of fun for us and the kids. Given the two sides of the resort, the north side was noticeably more crowded than the south so, we could find room anywhere.
Don't let my review of the rooms scare you. It was just an unmade bed and peeling ceiling paint, easy fixes and the unmade bed was our own fault. Most of the rooms have a balcony and ocean view so, you were met with a beautiful sunrise every morning. The rooms also have a full kitchen, so we made breakfast every morning, which saved time and money.
The resort is also located within a mile of the Tanger outlets and about 10 minutes from Barefoot Landing and Broadway at the Beach. All of which provide plenty of shopping and/or entertainment and food options.
I guess all-in-all, the hotel is what I would expect from any slightly above-average beach resort. For what we paid (about $140/night) it was a bargain compared to motels you might find at the Jersey Shore and surrounding beaches.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Sea Watch Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sea Watch Myrtle Beach
- Sea Watch Resort Myrtle Beach Sc
- Sea Watch Hotel Myrtle Beach