“Love the Compass Cove... everything about it!”

Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #35 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We stayed for over three weeks and totally enjoyed our stay. The rooms were nice, with great views, and the service and staff in the Crow's Nest were the best! We loved Allison, Daniel, and Terrie. The heated pools and hot tubs were so enjoyable in the winter!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tracey1258

Reviewed February 14, 2011

My wife and I returned to Compass Cove for our 4th stay over a 5 year period and will definitely return again for our next vacation to this area. We've stayed at 6 other resorts in previous years and preferr CC over the others because of: friendly staff and good service, value for $ in terms of nicely appointed clean rooms and daily maid service, with good beds and well equipped kitchens. We stayed in an oceanfront 1 bedroom suite and loved the morning sun streaming into the front windows and the sheltered (from wind) balconies. Also, the many pool facilities including indoor and outdoor pools, hot tubs and lazy rivers are virtually all heated (yes, the outdoor ones too) in winter. Convenient bar/restaurant on second floor has modest prices. Breakfast was included wth our stay (special offer) in the Compass Rose restaurant. We were able to get a unit that allowed our small dog (pug), for $25 per night which maxes out at $150 regardless of the length of stay. Mytle Beach also allows leashed dogs on the beach and boardwalk in off season.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MikeO_11
Reviewed February 9, 2011

We are snowbirds; just returned from staying a month in the Pinnacle Tower.

Once again, the resort went out of their way to keep most of the many water amenities clean and warm. There are very few resorts that heat even one outdoor pool and spa; CC heats three outdoor pools, two outdoor spas and a lazy river, in addition to the many indoor choices in two separate areas. You just can't beat the water amenities anywhere.
New just last season are two tube slides, we did not get to try them because they were closed.

I think this was our fourth stay and we will probably return again. Grounds are always well kept and the staff is friendly and efficient. My complaints are relatively minor, but here they are:

Kitchens (in the Pinnacle Tower, which is mostly one bedroom suites), have about 3 square feet of countertop, half of which is taken up by the toaster and coffee maker. We made do, but if you plan to cook a lot, I'd be looking at other rooms (I think the Schooner rooms have similar kitchens, but those in the Mariner I believe are bigger). Also, supplied cookware was barely adequate and pretty beat up...you might want to bring your own. We also saw a few more signs of wear and tear since last year, nothing major, just a few small rips in the seat padding, sofa cushions getting worn out, etc.

(Note: only applies to winter visits:) Hot water for showers was, once again, a problem. We stayed on the 13th floor, and when the building is fairly empty, it takes 5-10 minutes for WARM water to arrive (if you want HOT, maybe take a nap & set the alarm)...what a waste of water! Last year, I took my showers at the indoor pool, but that shower is now a changing room...only cold water outdoor showers poolside anymore, which are not useable in the cold months.

For the second year in a row, I had several unpleasant confrontations with the security staff. Nice to know they are doing their jobs, but whatever happened to adapting an "innocent until proven guilty" policy...even suspected trespassers have constitutional rights. There must also be a good reason why they changed the lobby door locks several times during our stay, but it sure is frustrating when you have a cart full of groceries and your key won't work.

That's about it, we still highly recommend the CC. I have some pics I can try to post later or email me to see them. The environmentalist in me was very frustrated at some of the problems that went uncorrected all month, but that matter is probably better addressed in a letter to the property manager.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank daddio361
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Loved Compass Cove so much that we are going back again this year and invited my sister and her family to come with us. My daughter loved Myrtle Beach soo much that she had the opportunity to go to Hawaii with her school band and said she'd rather go back to Myrtle Beach. I liked it soo much that I would consider retiring there.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank tropicstanning
Reviewed January 27, 2011

This was my 3rd stay at Compass Cove and will return again. The pools are heated in the winter and there are plenty of hot tubs to choose from. We stayed in the Pinaccle Tower and love having a kitchen - although it is very small. Even a little more counter space would be a big improvement. If you are planning to cook a lot I'd go with a condo in the Mariner Building.

Over the course of the month, our room had a couple maintenance issues, but they were always very prompt to respond. The couch in our room was really warn out, and uncomfortable to sit on for long periods of time. However, I do have to say they have been doing maintenance/improve projects all over the property while we've been here and our room was recently painted.

It's nice to have a bar in the building to go get a few drinks, but the bar food isn't great. We never ate in the restaurant.

They offer special monthly rates Nov-Feb. I'd highly recommend Compass Cove for a winter get away. You can walk on the beach, sit on your balcony, swim in the heated pools, soak in the hot tubs, play shuffleboard. I've talked with other "snowbirds" and they come here year after year. Lots of people here have their dogs - which are allowed on the beach this time of year.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kushta
Reviewed January 21, 2011

The hotel was exceptional. I booked a stay at this wonderful hotel for 5 nights. I got my Oceanfront King Room at a very reasonable price through hotels.com. It is very roomy and had a spectacular view of the ocean. I loved my room I even thought of not going home anymore (if only i had bought extra money). Food was great. Prices for the food were kind of reasonable as well. I had a great time outside/inside the property.

During the period of time I was staying with their property, I had everything covered. I had bought my beach towels and stuff that I'll need when i get to the beach. On my 4th night, someone brokeout and took my laptop and camera while we were out swimming. When I got back, I was surprised that my door was half open and I rushed to where our luggages were located thinking that my laptop was taken. After realizing the incident, I immediately called the front desk and reported what just happened. The front desk, on the other hand, should've at least sounded apathetic to what just happened and heard him telling me to just come right over to their front desk and file a complaint and they'll call the police for me. I then went there and to my surprise, he went outside to smoke. When i approached him to make a complaint he just pointed his finger towards a paper near the counter and told me to explain what happened. And when I went back to the front desk, I heard him laughing with his colleague saying stuff like, probably this asian doesn't know how to lock doors!

I immediately finished my paperwork and rushed back to our room to get our luggages and me and my girlfriend checked out that same evening. Unfortunately I forgot his name. I now have a newer laptop and camera! I don't intend to destroy the name of their hotel because it was definitely lovely but I would just like to inform the management to do some attitude check to their personnel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bouncy_Killer
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Traveled with 2 teens, husband, mother-in-law and small dog during New Years weekend. Everyone including the dog ( her 1st stay in a hoteland beach trip) was GREAT! We have never stayed in a resort at the beach, we typically camp in the mountains in summer. We have decided this will be an annual scheduled trip for our family. The room was very clean, comfortable beds, the teens enjoyed the inside pools and spas. The staff and other guest where comfortable w/ our dog and the other dogs present. Even with all the dogs we saw, especially the ones next door, we never heard any annoying noises and were able to have a restful long weekend. We will return asap! Thanks Compass Cove!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family