We had reserved our week's stay long ago and were so looking forward to it. Within an hour of checking-in, we were looking for another hotel. The front desk staff were very unfriendly and unhelpful. No greetings, no explanation of the hotel's amenities, no map, no explanation about the renovations or some of the pools being closed, nothing - not even "have a good stay". That set the tone. Elevators were extremely slow and had no air/ventilation in them. Took us forever to get to our room due to the elevator service and everyone that got on or off the elevator was complaining about them and the overall service of the hotel. The elevator floors were dirty with trash observed everywhere. Tried to get ice - no ice machine seen. Called front desk and phone rang continuously. Called again and the girl who answered said she didn't know where any ice machines were. Then said to go to the 15th floor (the one I was already staying on) and to "look around". Later told me there were no ice machines on that floor. The room was not clean, the floor was filthy and the balcony was unuseable as it had an open pipe coming out of the ceiling/overhang through which water was coursing - drenching the entire balcony - was apparently air conditioner run-off from somewhere above. Had booked for a week's stay well in advance but were told at check-in we'd have to move at least once during our stay. We went down to the pool area and found it to be very hard to navigate due to the standing water and trash that overflowed everywhere -both inside and out. This is supposed to be a family resort and people were sitting around openly drinking - at the lazy river and in the hot tubs. One hot tub area was littered with standing beer cans. The entire area appeared to have not been cleaned in ages. My child was so disappointed upon seeing the pool area. I have stayed at this hotel in the past but will not ever return to it. We attempted to return to the front desk to check on the situation but were met with complete apathy. I have been going to Myrtle Beach every year since I was a child and have never had such a bad hotel experience. On the way back to our room, enountered a man who was staying on the same floor. He stated they had no hot water and no air conditioning and management had yet to respond and this was the second day of the situation. My husband walked two doors up to the Sandcastle Resort hotel and made us a reservation. All he could talk about was how nice they were, how helpful, how clean everything appeared and that they could could also give us a non-smoking room - something Compass Cove stated they could not do. We proceeded to check out at the front desk and I was shown a statement as to what my account would be credited. We spent the one night at Compass Cove and checked out the next morning. Upon checking out, I was given a statement that did not match the one I had been given the day before. The girl waiting on me was very rude and acted as if I was stupid for questioning the difference when I already had a receipt showing my check-out balance. She made a big show of using the adding machine while looking around at her peers at the front desk. She then spoke very loudly to show my how she arrived at the figure on the new receipt as if I were a yound child. It was just another example of the attitude of the front desk staff. We immediately went to the Sandcastle and couldn't have asked for a better check-in experience or a better stay. I cannot imagine what our week would have been like if we would have had to have stayed at Compass Cove for a whole week. They definitely need to work on projecting a more welcoming tone and attitude and in doing what they can to improve the cleanliness of the place. With summer being the busiest time of their year, I do not know why the renovation work could not have been done in the off-season thus not affecting the egress to the hotel and the amenities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A family favorite, conveniently located near the heart of Myrtle Beach, The Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort has been entertaining the Grand Strand and Myrtle Beach area visitors for generations. Accommodations include one, two & three bedroom condos, efficiencies and suites along 720 feet of oceanfront beach. Compass Cove is known for its array of amenities including their 23 pool features. Race down 2 water slides, splash about in 6 indoor and outdoor pools, relax and drift down 3 indoor and outdoor lazy rivers, soak away your worries in several jacuzzi hot tubs, and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Vacatia, Expedia, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Compass Cove Oceanfront Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Swamp Fox Myrtle Beach
- Hotel Compass Cove Oceanfront