“Worst stay ever”

Ranked #34 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Roanoke, VA
Reviewed August 12, 2005

We had reserved our week's stay long ago and were so looking forward to it. Within an hour of checking-in, we were looking for another hotel. The front desk staff were very unfriendly and unhelpful. No greetings, no explanation of the hotel's amenities, no map, no explanation about the renovations or some of the pools being closed, nothing - not even "have a good stay". That set the tone. Elevators were extremely slow and had no air/ventilation in them. Took us forever to get to our room due to the elevator service and everyone that got on or off the elevator was complaining about them and the overall service of the hotel. The elevator floors were dirty with trash observed everywhere. Tried to get ice - no ice machine seen. Called front desk and phone rang continuously. Called again and the girl who answered said she didn't know where any ice machines were. Then said to go to the 15th floor (the one I was already staying on) and to "look around". Later told me there were no ice machines on that floor. The room was not clean, the floor was filthy and the balcony was unuseable as it had an open pipe coming out of the ceiling/overhang through which water was coursing - drenching the entire balcony - was apparently air conditioner run-off from somewhere above. Had booked for a week's stay well in advance but were told at check-in we'd have to move at least once during our stay. We went down to the pool area and found it to be very hard to navigate due to the standing water and trash that overflowed everywhere -both inside and out. This is supposed to be a family resort and people were sitting around openly drinking - at the lazy river and in the hot tubs. One hot tub area was littered with standing beer cans. The entire area appeared to have not been cleaned in ages. My child was so disappointed upon seeing the pool area. I have stayed at this hotel in the past but will not ever return to it. We attempted to return to the front desk to check on the situation but were met with complete apathy. I have been going to Myrtle Beach every year since I was a child and have never had such a bad hotel experience. On the way back to our room, enountered a man who was staying on the same floor. He stated they had no hot water and no air conditioning and management had yet to respond and this was the second day of the situation. My husband walked two doors up to the Sandcastle Resort hotel and made us a reservation. All he could talk about was how nice they were, how helpful, how clean everything appeared and that they could could also give us a non-smoking room - something Compass Cove stated they could not do. We proceeded to check out at the front desk and I was shown a statement as to what my account would be credited. We spent the one night at Compass Cove and checked out the next morning. Upon checking out, I was given a statement that did not match the one I had been given the day before. The girl waiting on me was very rude and acted as if I was stupid for questioning the difference when I already had a receipt showing my check-out balance. She made a big show of using the adding machine while looking around at her peers at the front desk. She then spoke very loudly to show my how she arrived at the figure on the new receipt as if I were a yound child. It was just another example of the attitude of the front desk staff. We immediately went to the Sandcastle and couldn't have asked for a better check-in experience or a better stay. I cannot imagine what our week would have been like if we would have had to have stayed at Compass Cove for a whole week. They definitely need to work on projecting a more welcoming tone and attitude and in doing what they can to improve the cleanliness of the place. With summer being the busiest time of their year, I do not know why the renovation work could not have been done in the off-season thus not affecting the egress to the hotel and the amenities.

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,456)

Reviewed August 7, 2005

Just got back yesterday...August 7, 2005. We stayed in the Schooner Building. The staff was nice and our room had a great view. Compass Cove is located on a nice part of the beach. Compass Cove is in the middle of some renovations, so some of the pools are closed. Our room was o.k., it could use a some updating and it could have been a bit cleaner. Some other place I checked out when I was there were "The Sand Castle South" it looked really nice and the "Landmark". If I ever went back I would stay at one of those places. Overall an o.k. place.

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Greenville, SC
Reviewed August 6, 2005

The web site is very misleading!
We just spent 8 days at the Compass Cove. The maid service was non existant. The front desk staff are rude and not helpful at resolving any issues. On our first day we requested linens for the pullout sofa, 2 extra pillows, and 2 extra blankets. Four days layer we still had not recieved the items we needed. After several attempts to phone the front desk-with NO answer- we walked down to the front desk. After 2 trips to the desk and 3 conversations with 3 employees (one of them being the manager) the maid brought to our room 1 flat sheet, 1 fitted sheet, and 1 blanket. Since it took 4 days to get part of what we had requested we decided to not take another 4 days of our vacation trying to get the rest of what we needed. During the 8 days we were guests our toliet and shower were NEVER cleaned!
The Resort is still renovating and the construction is everywhere. Several of the pools are closed and the restrooms are disgusting. One of the bathrooms had standing water in it that had bugs crawling around the edge.
WARNING - DON"T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE WE MADE! DON"T MAKE COMPASS COVE YOUR VACATION DESTINATION!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Louis
Reviewed August 2, 2005

We were uprooted by hurricane Ivan and Dennis and unable to reach our original destination, Gulf Shores. I had to book this trip last-minute. Reading other reviews worried me a bit, but if you are staying in the newly renovated parts - NOT TO WORRY! CompassCove has very nice 3-bedroom condos. They are clean. The pools are nice, though a bit murky at times, due to the extreme heat during our stay. Wait for elevators or parking spots is no worse than any other place on the beach.
The only down-side in my opinion involved some rough clientel we saw on the first night: a guy screaming threats to some girl on his cell phone while waiting for the elevator.
CAUTION: all "deals" you find on line are not so great. One guest I encountered was paying several HUNDRED dollars LESS than we did for the same thing!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 2, 2005

Although my stay was a while back, I had to share my experience and hope someone will give this hotel a chance. My husband and I were married in Myrtle Beach so we had our room for about 5 days. My family came from WV and stayed in the hotel as well. We had a suite they had efficiency rooms. Both sizes were large and comfortable. Our suite was WONDERFUL, very cozy and clean and of course, an incredible view! I am a very picky person when it comes to where I will or won't stay, I read the reviews and research for days before I decide. I love the Compass Cove Hotel and would stay there everytime we visit Myrtle Beach. A lifetime of memories in those few days, glad I chose this hotel to be a part of them.

• Stayed: September 2003
13  Thank Micahisabel
Gastonia, NC
Reviewed July 31, 2005

The room was nice, kitchen, bedroom with two double beds, living room with wall bed and a sleep sofa.

Some of the worst service I have ever had and I am not a demanding person!
Called desk about 1:00 PM Sunday for some toilet paper and some towels and wash cloths because they did not leave enough when cleaning room.
About 3:00 or 4:00 PM went back to the room and nothing was left. Called desk again and made same request again. Went back to the room about 6:00 PM and still nothing.
Went by the desk on the way to dinner and made the same request but this time I told them I would buy my own and bring them the reciepts and they could take it off the credit card charges. They told me that 1:00 PM was shift change is why I didn't get the requested items, that is NO EXCUSE when you are paying $200 per night and still didn't offer excuse for second request.
Got back about 10 or 11:00 PM and the towels were left but still no toilet paper! I called the desk and said I requested paper at 1:00 PM and it was now 11:00 PM. I told them I needed paper and I need it now! They had three rolls up there in five minutes.
There is NO EXCUSE for such terrible service!!
I will never stay ther again, avoid this place at all cost!!

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Northern Va.
Reviewed July 31, 2005

I'm glad we didn't experience the problems that some did upon their stay at Compass Cove. Upon arrival I was on line at check in maybe 10 min. There were 3 people at the desk working, so it went smoothly. Everyone was courteous and helpful. The restaurant for breakfast each morning was very clean, as was the room in the Schooner bldg. The only problem we encountered was one of the air conditioners stopped working mid-week. I told the front desk at about 5pm and we went out for dinner. Upon return, we had a brand new unit installed and the place was nice and cool. The beach was clean, the pools and Lazy River were cleaned each morning before 8 am. Based on my experience, I would recommend Compass Cove.

• Stayed: July 2005