“Stayed in Schooner”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Taylors, SC
“Stayed in Schooner”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed in the Schooner building, which I was told upon check out when I complained about lack of electrical plugs is 20 years older than Pinnacle. The room was clean, the little pillows were small we had to ask for more, hardly anywhere to plug in devices ,no clock was visible from night stand which I thought was a standard. We were close to the indoor pool and garage but also had to hear noise from those. We came with two kids, ages 3 and 5. They enjoyed it, we put them in the inside bed near the ocean view, couldn't let them sleep near the door. Overall it was good but would have preferred more electrical plugs, I was up trying to see the time since I couldn't plug my phone in near my bed. I visited my sisters room in pinnacle building, way nicer so if u can stay there you will be happier.

3 Thank cbullrun
Corey S, Manager at Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for staying and writing a review for Compass Cove.

We use TripAdvisor as one of the many channels to gather guest feedback. I sincerely apologize for the lack of outlets in the room, and the overall quality. We are currently in the process of major renovations to improve the condition of the Schooner building, as well as the Pinnacle & Mariner towers. Our entire property is held to the same standard and we will do everything we can to improve any deficiencies we have.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any additional assistance. Thank you again, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,136)
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Nice hotel on the beach & near all the main attractions. Room was compfy with a kitchenette. Great indoor lazy river & hot tubs open until 11pm. Skip the restaurant food but drinks were good. Parking garage is a good idea if you can get a spot. Good hotel for the price...

Room Tip: Bring some snacks & food to cook. Don't forget bathing suits and cash for shopping. More t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank blueyedchic66
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor!

We're happy you were able to enjoy all the amenities Compass Cove has to offer! We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Taylors, South Carolina
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We just got back from our annual January visit to Compass Cove. The condo was comfortable, clean, and spacious. Although we didn't use any of the water features this time because the weather was so cold, we have enjoyed them in the past. The location makes it easy to get to North Myrtle as well as Murrell's Inlet. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Room balconies are a nice size.

Room Tip: If your room is a few floors above the hotel's restaurant, you'll be hungry every time you w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank SFS819
Thank you for writing a review for Compass Cove on TripAdvisor!!

We're so happy you and your family had such a wonderful time. Remember, almost all of our indoor and outdoor water features are heated all year long. So, don't let the cold weather hold you back from enjoying all the Compass Cove has to offer!

Thanks again, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My friends and I came for MLK weekend. We were looking for a place to stay, to relax, and just play in the pool.

So the good aspects of Compass Cove was the complimentary DVD service (although, make sure you go early so you can get the DVDs you want.) Also, the fact that it had a lazy river and inside pools was cool too. Plus, every time we called the front desk with an issue, we had someone come up and attempt to fix it. Such as when we called for someone to clean the room and fix the dvd player.

Okay, the BAD aspects.

1. Our bathtub would not flow or drain. We called the front desk and a maintenance person did come up and was in the bathroom for like 30 minutes. When he left, we thought it would be draining well, but nope. Still bad. We didn't call again to fix the issue but about 1 hour later, a different maintenance guy came, which we thought was weird. So, we didn't let him work on it after he unlocked our door (assuming we weren't in, but we were.)

When I buy a hotel room, I expect all the amenities to work.

2. The pools with the kids and lazy rivers was a bit nasty. The pool area we went to was very family friendly, so we should have gone to the other one. There were just so many kids. So, to say the least, after I got back from swimming, I made sure to wash the filth off of my body. But, this was annoying as the BATHTUB would not drain properly, so it was not a pretty sight.

3. Okay, I look around 16-19 year old, and despite that, we had this creeper, that looked early 30s and overall pretty disgusting come to our group and would NOT leave us alone. This was in the pool area where there were a lot of kids and what not. He would follow us into and out of the pool, and have unwanted conversations with us. One of them asking if I "twerked"? I almost vomited in his face. The 2nd one consisted of him propositioning us to come to his room number to have "drinky drinks". I know this is not Compass Cove's fault as they did not know who would be paying for a room in their establishment, but during vacation, I DO NOT want to be eyed and propositioned by a random nasty stranger and it did sour my experience a little.

4. Lastly, there were something wrong with the outlets in the center of the bed. It almost fried my phone. My new Samsung Galaxy had to notify me that it would stop charging because it was getting dangerously hot. This never happened before. Also, my friend was also complaining that some of the outlets would not work with her electronic devices.

So, in all, I'm rating it a three because there were parts I liked and parts I did not like as I explained above. It was awesome that our room came with a toaster, microwave, and refrigerator. However, would I go to this place again? I'm not entirely sure. I would probably check to see my options first. But, my friends and I still had a fun time in Compass Cove and the price was pretty decent as well.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor.

I sincerely apologize for the maintenance issues you experienced while staying with us. There is no excuse for the tub not draining nor outlets now working, prior to you checking in to any of our rooms. I will review this with our Chief Engineer to ensure things like this do not reoccur. Additionally, we employ a security staff 24 hours per day, 365 day per year. Please, never hesitate to let a staff member know if a fellow guest, or anyone else you come into contact with, makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Our guest's safety and well being is our chief priority.

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the pools and amenities, despite these issues. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Salisbury, North Carolina
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We enjoyed our stay ... Everyone was very nice. And we really enjoyed Jennifer our waitress in the compass breakfast room. Thank you all for making our stay a wonderful memory...
We stayed in an oceanfront efficiency in the Pinnacle building. Really lovely and spacious; great view, and nice kitchen set-up -- perfect for our needs

Green Features: Local plants in garden were beautiful... Biodegradable toiletries Energy-saving lighting controls
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Ree2014
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor!

We're so glad we were able to make your stay a memorable one! Jennifer is a huge asset to our staff, and I will make sure she is aware of your comments.

Thanks again, and we will see you next time!

Coward, South Carolina
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed in what could very easily be one of the nicest resorts in Myrtle Beach for the price of a cheap motel. Their service is unmatched and the rooms were very nicely kept. We don't stay overnight much because we live so close but when we do stay we like our visit to be memorable. This visit was just that. You can bet from now on when we do decided to stay overnight at Myrtle Beach that Compass Cove will be the first place we check for availability. We can't thank you enough for providing us a mini vacation that we will remember for a long time to come.

3 Thank cndjones1
Thank you for writing a review for us on TripAdvisor!!

We're so happy we were able to make your mini-vacation a memorable one. No matter how brief your visit, we strive to make every guest feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible.

Thanks again for your kind words and loyalty. We look forward to serving you during your next stay with us.

Goldsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We had a great time at a good price. Very helpful management. We will stay again. The rates are more affordable in the off season for our family and the kids love it. They like being able to swim in the winter. And the facilities are wonderful.

3 Thank AngelaC457
CompassCoveResort, Manager at Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Compass Cove and taking the time to write this review. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to becoming your first choice destination when you visit the Myrtle Beach area.
Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!

Joe Gibbons