“Compass Cove”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Northern KY
“Compass Cove”
Reviewed July 11, 2008

I have read bad reviews about beds, and security deposites etc. To start with the security deposite, its not even a real life transaction that occurs, it's just a "back up plan" with "prior authorization" that's it. it dont cost you a thing, nor does it leave a speck on any kinda billing unless you damage/steal/ or add anything. So who gives a crap about that. it's all good!

OK now, about the "uncomfy beds" they are fine, I myself have not slept in one, but, I did sleep on the couch next to my baby in the crib they provided. My wife is a RELIABLE NAGGER, and she was happy with the beds there. My children slept well. things went well.

The staff was courteous, and helpful. Our rst room drain wasn't draining at an acceptable flow, but Maint. was there with in an hour or two to fix it. and that was fine because we were out and about anyway.

I've talked to MANY people there, that stayed somewhere else prior to there, and they are now regulars there. This is the best place to stay, I'm VERY lucky to have chosen Compass Cove as my first choice.

• Liked — too many to compare
  • Disliked — the carts to help carry luggage to room were hit and miss. some very hard to contol
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank myers712924

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
Southern Indiana
Reviewed July 5, 2008

My husband and I took 6 high school students to Myrtle Beach for a national convention June 18 - 21. We booked online through the resort website. We purchased a package deal that included breakfast coupons. We LOVED the breakfast buffet. The food and service was great! In fact, everyone that worked at the hotel was friendly and helpful. The pools and lazy rivers were smaller than we anticipated and there were lots of little kids around so the high school students with us didn't use any of them except for the hot tubs. The beach front was nice, so they were all happy! We had a 3 bedroom oceanfront condo in the Mariner building. It was VERY nice. I liked the unit layout. I also appreciated having a fridge, microwave, dishwasher, dishes, and washer and dryer. We would definitely return to Compass Cove. - But we would make sure to get a package again that included the breakfast buffet because it really saved us money and time.

• Liked — Oceanfront condo - great layout and great view!
  • Disliked — Small pools and small lazy rivers
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
7 Thank kterwiske
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 5, 2008

Overall, I was a little disappointed with this resort considering the rating the users of Tripadvisor have given it (#3 for families at the time of my booking). Although I would not rule out a return visit, considering the multitude of other resort options at Myrtle Beach, I’d anticipate my family will look elsewhere on our next visit.

The following are my thoughts in the order of what I’m most looking for at a beach resort:

Location – oceanfront in the 2300 South block of Myrtle Beach. Although the “after beach” activities we seem to always get drawn to (Broadway at the Beach, Barefoot Landing, Carolina Opry, etc.) are all located in the northern section of MB, since you have to drive to them anyway, an extra mile or 2 really didn’t make a difference. I’m not a MB expert, but from what I’ve seen, it appears the further south you go the more family orientated it gets. I really prefer to avoid a resort with an overabundance of drunken 20 year olds. With the in mind, the location of the Compass Cove met all my needs.

Rooms – we had a Pinnacle OF Suite. Plenty of towels and a polite/courteous/effective maid staff. The web site also notes a major renovation to this building in 2006; however, I would not have been able to guess it had I not already known. Nothing was broken, but then again, nothing about the room gave me the impression it was “recently” renovated. I would hate to have stayed in it prior to 2006! The room was a little tight, especially the kitchen and bathroom. The kitchen had basically no counter space (layout - range, sink, 12” wide counter with a coffee maker, then a refrigerator) and all of the cabinets already had something in them (toaster, dishes, utensils). On the upside, everything we needed in the kitchen was there; however, any food we brought we had to basically store in the oven. As for the bathroom, we’re not large people by any means; however, the shower had some non-standard configuration (i.e. not the standard rectangle). For some reason, it curved inward at the center and could not have been more then 15” wide at that point. This could be a little tricky for a larger person and a potential slipping hazard. The biggest room complaint would be the “gurgling” of the drain pipe traps which occurs when the plumbing system sees too much usage (morning showers). I’m not a plumber, but I believe the gurgling occurs when the system cannot handle the liquid flow in the system and the vent pipes cannot adequately handle the displaced air. As a result, sewer gas is forced “out” thru the “path of least resistance”. In this case, it was our kitchen sink. It should be noted that at no time did I get a scent of sewer odor; if I had I would have done something about that immediately. I just accepted it as an unwelcome 6AM alarm clock. It was that loud. Also request a room away from the elevators. Although convenient, the adjacent ice machines make ice all night. As such, I could hear every time a new batch of ice was completed. Considering the above, the room was the biggest disappointment with the facility. While not a bad room, I just anticipated more.

Pools – We spend a lot of time in the ocean, but pool facilities are a necessity as my children (16, 12, & 8) alternate back-and-forth between the ocean and pool all day long. Some of the pools are relatively small, but at no time did they feel overcrowded. If they did (rarely), we just switched to an adjacent pool. The indoor pool at the center of the facility was probably the largest and there was also a nice size (covered) pool beneath the Pinnacle Building. My kids also enjoy Lazy Rivers of which this resort has 3 of average length. They seemed to serve their purpose. Clean pool towels were readily available throughout the facility as were lounge chairs. Walkways around the pools were tight and chairs were obviously squeezed in any where they could be placed. I was okay with this. Although a little young for my family, the Submarine play area looks like a blast for the under 4 age group and I’m sure we’d have spent a lot of time there a couple of years ago. Overall, I’d give the pool facilities a “plus”.

Cost – I booked a special in which I paid for 5 nights and stayed 7. Excellent deal. My “target” has always been $200 per night ocean front, 3 star or better (Expedia). It might be a little “dated” target for a family of 5, but I use it as a guide. The 7 night total for this resort in late June was around $1200. As such, excellent value!

Parking Garage – I was always able to find a space either in the garage connected to the building or in the overflow lot across the street. As you’d expect, the spaces are tight (7 ft.?) but consistent with other resorts. I always try to find a spot which I feel would minimize door “dings” (i.e. park at an end or tight against an interior column) and I usually had no problems finding something. I’ve read others complaints about parking availability. Keep in mind this is a multi-story, 500+ unit resort. Parking outside your room door is not an option. Accept you’ll have to park and walk to your room and move on. PS: no new door dings!

Check In – we arrived early (noon) hoping for an early check in. This would have worked had I taken the initially assigned room (immediately over the Crow’s Nest kitchen). Based on another Tripadvisor review, I immediately requested a change and they were more then agreeable. Unfortunately the replacement room would not be ready until the guaranteed 3PM check in. No problem, they gave us a courtesy resort key to use the facilities to change into beach attire and we were on our way. When I did return to officially check in around 2:45PM, the line was long. The maid staff was obviously behind and they were not allowing anyone to check in until after the 3PM guaranteed time. This created a little “tension” in line. By the time I got thru the line it was after 3 and I was able to get to the room. The maid staff was actually still cleaning up the room, but this was only a short, minor delay.

Dining – I’ll have to take a “pass” here; we ate else where.

Bottom line: I was expecting more but there isn’t any 1 thing which I can say would be a definite “deal maker or breaker” on staying here again. We'll just try our luck elsewhere next time. (PS: we’ve stayed at the Breaker’s Paradise Tower several times in the past and if not for “drunken 20 year old” concerns, we would probably have stayed there again.)

• Liked — Cost effective, quality oceanfront resort
  • Disliked — room
1 Thank TravlerPennsylvania
Grove City, Ohio
Reviewed July 1, 2008

We stayed at Compass Cove from 6-21 to 6-27. We had a great time. We were in the Pinnacle building on the 14th floor. Our room was a little outdated and in need of some repair, but the oceanfront view was beautiful. We enjoyed the fact that this resort was at the far end of the "strip". We didn't have to fight with much traffic and it seemed more quiet. This resort is definately family oriented, so if you don't like being around kids, unruly or otherwise, choose a different resort. I would recommend to friends/family, and will likely choose this resort again!

• Liked — great value
  • Disliked — nothing-it was great!
3 Thank OhioBuckeyefan
Green, Ohio
Reviewed July 1, 2008

First time at Compass Cove; made decision based on the reviews I read. Was everything we wanted and more. Myself & two 12 yr old boys stayed on the 12th Floor (Room 1257) in the Pinnacle Bldg (6/21-6/28). Perfect view of the ocean from the OF balcony. Our housekeeper, Chilly, did a great job of keepng our room tidy, clean towels stocked and everything looking & feeling fresh. We ate breakfast only once at the buffet, food was very good, service great & surroundings clean. Pools always looked great, kids loved the lazy river that ran both indoor/outdoor. Beachfront was kept very clean and the staff did an excellent job keeping the walkways to & from the beach and into the hotel as clean as possible during the day. We had a full kitchen in our room; all we used was the fridge, toaster & coffeemaker but everything looked clean and worked well. Depending on the time we returned to the hotel each evening there were many nights we had to park across the street in the overflow parking deck. This was never a problem; extra 5 mins to walk to room and deck is clean & well lit. Arrived for check-in at 2:45pm on Sat., line was not too long & room was ready. We were unloaded and headed up to our room by 3:30pm; great set-up for loading/unloading luggage. Yes, we also had to wait several minutes for elevators but it really was no big deal. I think the longest we waited was 3 minutes or so. Of course, if you are tired or wet and anxious to get to your room it feels a lot longer. They have plenty of elevators, they just also have a lot of guests. Would definitely recommend this hote/resort and will absolutely be returning on our next trip to Myrtle Beach.

• Liked — Clean, affordable
  • Disliked — None
5 Thank snowflake32003
cj1996
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We stayed at the Compass Cove June 23-28. The Family Value Package was great! Lots of tickets to the attractions and a wonderful breakfast buffet every morning. The Crow's Nest was ok- nothing extraordinary. The hotel offers great views. The elevator waiting wasn't at all as bad as I was expecting. We stayed in the Pinnacle Building and after reading it was recently renovated - we were a little let down by the furnishings. We weren't in the room alot, so that wasn't a big deal. The worst part of our stay was that our bathroom sink would back up. It wasn't while we were using the bathtub because sometimes we weren't even in the room and would come in and find dirty water. Thank goodness for Clorox wipes! I would suggest trying to get a room on an upper floor. We were on the third floor. They have alot of pools and hot tubs. They are rather small pools, but the kids had fun while the hubby and I got some rays. The lazy rivers could have been enjoyable if the kids weren't swimming in them, but I guess kids will be kids. Enjoyable vacation, but try to get a room on an upper floor.

• Liked — family value plan, pool hours, beach access and views
  • Disliked — finding dirty water residue in the bathroom sink daily
Lillington, NC
Reviewed June 27, 2008

This property has the best kiddie pools around! I have a 1 year old and there were several choices of 1' and 1and1/2' pools that he could wade around in comfortably without worry. My 10 year old nephew and 7 year old niece also had a great time in the deeper pools and lazy river! The 1 bedroom pinnacle suite was not the nicest room I've ever been in but very comfortable. I only wish I had opted for the king bed instead of the doubles. There is a very nice restaurant on site for breakfast and lunch and a "tiki hut" for drinks and refreshments by the pool. I will definately stay here again!

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — rooms
5 Thank patterl3