“Pretty good hotel”

Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #34 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is the first time we stayed at the Compass Cove. We stayed in the Pinnacle Tower, one bedroom Oceanfront End Suite. It had a bedroom with two double beds, kitchen with full size refrigerator, microwave, toaster, oven, stove and granite counter tops, and a living room with murphy bed and fold out sofa. It also had a very nice oceanfront balcony. The room was clean upon arrival. We arrived a few hours before check-in and our room was not ready for us. The man who checked us in was very friendly and gave us access cards and arm bands so we could go ahead and use the pools and parking. He let me know that all I had to do was call the front desk around 3pm to find out if the room was ready and what the room number would be (even said "so you don't have to come back down here.") So around 3pm, I called the front desk and was told I had to come back down to the front desk area to have my cards (keys) re-keyed for the room. I was also told that they could not give me the room number over the phone for security reasons. When I went back to the front desk to get my room number and cards re-keyed, I had to wait about 15 minutes in line (again). And never once did the man helping me ask to see identification. So much for security! The remainder of the stay was pretty good. The kids had a great time in the pools and on the slides. The only issue with the pools was that there was a group of about 10 teens jumping and throwing tubes at each other in the lazy river. I saw parents with small children leaving the lazy river because the teens were so wild and screaming loudly. The signs up clearly stated that each person must be on a tube and floating in the lazy river. Never once did I see a pool attendant to address the problem. Thank goodness there were other lazy rivers that I was able to take my children. I would go back to Compass Cove but not sure it would be my first choice in Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jetsettersb
Write a ReviewReviews (4,456)

Reviewed October 8, 2011

I've stayed at Compass Cove several times and I love it! It's clean, employees are extremely friendly and helpful. It's right on the beach/easy access. I've never stayed anywhere better!

Room Tip: Higher floors seem quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Anita30736
Reviewed October 6, 2011

My husband and I had a friend recommend Compass Cove so we decided that we would try it. We've only been to Mrytle Beach a couple of times even though we only live 2 hours away. After staying at the Compass Cove and enjoying everything they had to offer and the great service, we will definently come back more often. We stayed the first few days of October and the weather was great and the crowds were gone so the parking was wonderful everywhere we went. I give Compass Cove 5 stars!

Room Tip: higher floors have better view and are quieter. Elevators are quick and easy.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dp63
Reviewed October 6, 2011

we took our whole family to compass cove this year. We had a suite with 3 bedrooms and a junior suite with 2 bedrooms. We have a fantasdtic time. the resort had everything that you would want and then some. We were 5 adults and 4 kids the oldest was 12 and the youngest was 3. A great time for every one. We will most definately stay there gain.

Room Tip: chose ocean front
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank sandrab59
Reviewed October 5, 2011

A group of 6 of us arrived on Friday 9/30 for a weekend at Compass Cove. We travel to Myrtle Beach at least once yearly for the motorcycle events, and always stay at Compass Cove. The oceanfront condos in the Mariner Building are an unbelievable deal and allows our group to all stay comfortably in one room.

We get a 3-bedroom condo which has a king room w/attached bath, a queen room, a room with 2 queen beds, a 2nd large bathroom, a kitchen, a living area, and a large balcony overlooking the ocean.

The front desk staff was very friendly, as is the norm. The room was well-furnished and clean, as usual. The balcony has chairs and small tables, and we always enjoy sitting on the balcony enjoying the view and socializing.

Although we don't use the pool and other amenities, there's a restaurant (Compass Rose), a bar (Crow's Nest), and a tiki bar on site. If you wanted, you wouldn't need to leave, but if you want someplace close there's a Damon's bar/restaurant a few blocks south that we eat at regularly when we're in Myrtle Beach. You can also order a pizza or other items from close by restaurants (there was a magnet for California Pizza on the fridge and we ordered from them one night - delicious!)

Our stay was relaxing and hassle-free, which is what we've come to expect and why we will keep returning. Thanks to all the staff at Compass Cove - we will be back to see you again!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank GodivaRidesAHarley
Reviewed October 4, 2011

My husband and I have been vacationing in Myrtle Beach for over 20 years and Compass Cove is by far one of the best places we have stayed. The location is excellent. The rooms were clean, comfortable and safe. I enjoyed our ocean front suite and sat on the balcony and enjoyed the view many times during the day. I see us coming back for many years to come.

Room Tip: Center ocean front views had no peripheral view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank immagginette
Reviewed October 4, 2011

This was our first stay at this hotel and I have only positive things to say. Everyone of the staff were friendly we come in contact with. We stayed in the Pinnacle Blding and it was very clean. The pools and slides were very enjoyable by my kids. This is an outstanding place to stay. Prices were very reasonable and we will be returning customers. Awesome stay!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family