“Not really a resort but still was nice” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes

Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Ranked #17 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Pittsburgh
“Not really a resort but still was nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

I stayed at the Myrtle Beach Marriott resort in June of 2014 with my wife, my 16 month old, and my three year old. This was our first time to Myrtle Beach and I have had good luck with Marriott so we decided to stay here. It is on the north side of the beach away from everything (yet really close by driving) so the beach was not busy at all. Marriott classifies this as a resort but I would say it is somewhere between a resort and a standard hotel. There is no shopping, actitives or other things that make it a resort. It is just a hotel with a big pool area. So other than swimming at the pool or the beach there is nothing else to do at the hotel. I did not see anything for planned excursions, etc that you normally find with ocean resorts. That was sort of a let down. The property does have a game room where they have Nintendo and XBOXs set up but they were always broken or not turned on so they were pretty useless. There is a ping pong table (can't use it because of the wind), a bean bag tops, and a small one family basketball court. One thing that was the most shocking is that this place closes really really early. The beach chairs (that you have to rent per Myrtle Beach code) go away at 4:00. If you are out there they give you the boot. This makes the beach pretty much cleared at 4:00. The pool area has a full bar that makes all the resort style drinks and also food. There is pool waitress service as well and the chairs have a flag you can pop up for service. However, this all closes down at 5:30. They also start shutting down all the umbrellas and other features of the pool area then. So around 5:30 the pool area is closed down. It is so strange. The pool area is set up in four areas. There are the general chairs around the pool. There is a hammock section where there are eight hammocks anyone can use. There are more quality double lounge chairs with umbrellas that you can rent for $30 a day and then there are two private pavilions you can rent for $100 a day. Each pavilion comes with couch seating, two lounge chairs, a private hammock, free water in a cooler, and a $14 fruit plate. It also has a roof so there is a lot of shade. I rented a pavilion for my entire trip. What really annoyed me though is that guests would come over and start using my hammock, which was RIGHT next to the seating, etc. – even though there were hammocks free in the hammock area about 25 feet away. Imagine that you are in your own private area with your family and then there is some guy sitting with you. One pavilion I can see how people may mistake the hammock for being public (even though it is away from the other hammocks) because one side is against a walkway but the other hammock you either have to walk across the inside of the pavilion to get to it or hop a 3 foot wall and fence to get to it. The pavilions are clearing marked as being reserved for X family, too. I had to ask the waitress to boot the people whenever they would hijack my hammock. This was annoying because you felt like a tool, but hey, I'm paying $100 a day for that hammock. And the kicker was that there were always hammocks in the hammock area free (which the hammock area was nice, big, and under trees as well). So, if you rent the pavilion make sure you put a bunch of stuff on your hammock to keep hammock hijackers away. I would totally recommend getting the pavilion. It makes it nice to keep your stuff private and away from everyone, espeically if you have a stroller, etc. There are two pools and they are nice and warm but they are not zero entry so they are not good for little kids who can't swim because they are 3'-5' deep. If you have a little kid you will have to float around with them or they can sit on the steps. The entire pool area is surrounded by landscaping so you cannot see the ocean at all from the pool area. I have never seen this before and it was a big bummer and took away from the ocean feel. While there are signs saying the property is smoke free there where people smoking. Smokers, please keep your cancer to yourself and your family. Once thing that was another bummer and I was hoping would not be true is that the ocean, because it is the east coast, is green. It's not blue. If you see any photo's of the property with blue water it's been altered. This isn't the property's fault obviously but it took away from the ocean feel. It was more like it was a lake resort on a great lake like Erie. The waves are very high and there are always about three-four waves going at once. This makes it so that you really can't stay in the water because you are constantly bashed. This part of the ocean isn't really good for little kids. Sure there is the beach where they can play but you might as well stay home and let them use a sandbox. Again, not the property's fault. I purchased the full ocean room and was upgraded to a corner room. You do not want a partial ocean room and you definitely do not want a non-ocean view room. The property is a rectangle with the shortest side providing the ocean view. The corner rooms provide full ocean out the front with a balcony and then a side wall (that opens up, it is really cool) to the partial ocean view. The partial ocean view is at an angle. Your view will be of some houses, another hotel, and the beach. The room was larger than the typical Marriott room and having both walls opened allowed the air to pass through the room which was nice. The only bad part is that if someone decided to smoke on their balcony your entire room filled up with smoke because it got sucked in. When this happened I would go out to my balcony and yell to quit smoking. The bed was comfortable and was their Marriott Dream bed. It is foam with pillow top. I noticed that a few reviews where of people saying the room was worn down. A travel tip is to reserve the most expensive room. The cheaper rooms have more people going through them. This means that the room gets really worn down. The more expensive rooms have less people going through them and are therefore nicer. One thing I would like to call out is how good the room service was, especially Tony. The food was good and perfectly cooked. The fish was great. When you called and gave your order you only had to say what you wanted ONE time. They knew the menu through and through and if it came with something they would ask you. There was no confusion or anything. It was PAINLESS. Room service was fast, professional, and made the stay great. Tony, one of the waiters was very pleasant, very thorough, and nice to talk too. The best room service I have ever had (and I get a lot of room service). I would probably go back to this Marriott if we go back to Myrtle Beach because of the location away from everything. Down by the boardwalk where most of the hotels are looks like a chaotic mess.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a corner room. It is full + partial view so you have a large area of ocean and two...
5 Thank shopkins1994

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Our first time to Myrtle Beach. Overall this stay was overpriced. We checked in on a Wednesday evening. Great valet who helped us to our room. Room on 10th floor, partial ocean view, was dated. Old, worn carpet and the HVAC system caused condensation to collect near the ceiling and run down the wall. The valet killed a couple of bugs - one spider, the other unknown. We glanced at the room service menu and decided the quality in no way matched the prices so we passed. Room had a mini fridge. Then I looked in the (tiny) freezer compartment. It was iced over and the ice was brown. I called the front desk and an "engineer" showed up soon with a new one. As soon as he got in the room he began blaming another employee/department for the problem. Extremely unprofessional. I don't care who didn't do what - take responsibility already or better yet, just apologize, then shut up & install the new one. We unfortunately bought ice cream that night and brought it back to the room. The "new" freezer never froze. But at least it wasn't brown.
Okay then, beds were pretty darned comfortable - plenty of give with a touch of firmness - just a wee bit small for two adults (room had 2 doubles.) Bathroom had no fan and I need white noise to sleep so we opened our sliding door a bit to hear the sounds of the ocean drowned out by the hotel generators. The last day there we walked on the beach and I would have liked to sit in a chair since I am disabled. The beach chairs and umbrellas are offered to rent and only available during earlier hours. Our valet was kind enough to inform us that since we are handicapped our valet parking is free (price listed was $18 per day.) After the first day and after waiting almost an hour for valet to retrieve our vehicle, we did our own parking and walked.
If this is a 4 star hotel I'd hate to see anything less in Myrtle Beach. We found a few great treasures in this area but overall we were less than impressed - both with the town and the hotel.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BrookRay, Manager at Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear NannaM114,

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment in regards to your experience at our resort. We strive to ensure that all of our guests have a great experience with us and I wanted to apologize for the issues that you had while staying with us. These issues are not what our resort or Marriott is known for and for that I do apologize. We appreciate you providing us with this very valuable information so that we can correct any issues that took place. Thank you so much again and we do hope that we will have he opportunity again to show what the services our resort and Marriott is known for.
Whitsett, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stay for 7 days, partly was a work conference and the rest was vacation. The amenities and staff were excellent. The hotel was a little further down the beach than the main strip so it allowed for less congestion on the beach, etc. However, you were still close to main attractions. We only had one day that we were disappointed with the housekeeping staff not cleaning our room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jmatherly
Dear Jmatherly,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a comment in regards to your most recent stay at our resort. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here and that you were happy with our staff here as well. I do apologize that you had the issues that you did with our housekeeping staff not cleaning your guestroom on one of your days. We will make sure to look into that issue and make sure that it does not happen for future stays with us. Thank you so much again and we do hope that we will have the pleasure of seeing you again soon for your next visit to the Myrtle Beach area.
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

We arrived on Monday around noon with our 8 month old and 4 year old. We were able to check in early at 12:30. The baby is now crawling and the hotel room floor was not the cleanest. I let the front desk know and they had a worker shampoo the carpets within just a few hours. I don't expect them to clean the floor after every reservation, but figured I could ask with the baby crawling on the floor. They quickly fixed the issue for me and the baby stayed clean the rest of the stay. It happened to be my husband and my anniversary during our stay with the children. For our celebration, the hotel staff sent up the most decadent chocolate dessert with champagne. It was very sweet. All the hotel staff was more than accommodating and friendly throughout the entire stay. All the food was delicious. The breakfast buffet had tons of options with omelet and waffle making station, fresh fruit. For lunch a few times we ate pool side, the turkey club and hotdogs were good. We ate one dinner at The Bar and the burger and turkey club there were absolutely delicious. This is our second year there and we plan on a third if we don't end up buying a timeshare at the Villas next door.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are worth it. We stayed in ocean view last year and it didn't have a balc...
Dear kmrossignol,

We really appreciate you taking the time to post a comment in regards to your most recent visit to our resort. I do apologize that you had the issue with the floor in your guestroom upon your arrival. I am so happy to hear that you were pleased with the way that our staff reacted and corrected the issue. We strive for all of our guest to have a flawless experience but if something does happen, it is our goal to ensure that all of our guest are well taken care of. We are also very excited to hear that you enjoyed the amenity sent to your room to celebrate your anniversary. Thank you so much again and we do hope that we will have the pleasure of many more visit from you and your family.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

The hotel was very nice, but the fact that it's also a Marriott Vacation Club made the atmosphere a bit odd.

I'll start with the good ... beautiful property, lovely beach, nice rooms (maybe starting to show a bit of wear and tear, but still nice). Food, service and amenities all what you would expect from a Marriott resort.

Check in was easy, valet organized and efficient, front desk completely on-the-ball. The clerk who checked us in was very familiar with the rooms and offered us our choice of "ocean view, top floor" or "resort view, lower floor, but with a balcony". We chose the balcony (I'm always one for some fresh air) and we still had a bit of a (lean over the balcony) ocean view. We were on the 2nd floor and although I was worried about noise it was soundproof with the balcony slider closed at night.

Pool was gorgeous, awesome beach, kids loved the water slide, nice hammock area, great showers for sandy beach bodies, and plenty of chairs, towels and servers. The food was above average for "pool side" food and the service was very, very good. The downside is that the water slide, pool bar/kitchen and service all close at 5/5:30. .... WHAT???? Such a downside! At 5:31 people started showing up with coolers, food and iPods with speakers. Apparently all of the vacation club owners know the drill and what WAS a lovely pool area suddenly became a backyard barbecue. Pizza deliveries and games of beer pong included. Ugh. Sorry, but so not what I expect from a Marriott Beach Resort and Spa. VERY disappointing. Odd, "owners-only" (and not at all a family friendly) atmosphere.

Not for us.

Room Tip: We had "resort view" and it had a great balcony with a bit of an ocean view.
2 Thank castmember
Dear castmember,

Thank you so much for posting your comment on your most recent visit to our resort. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself and that you enjoyed the services that our staff provided. From what I am understanding there may have been some misunderstanding on what was the resort and what was the Ocean Watch Villas. The resort is the Hotel side of the property. We are actually owned and operated by seperate companies, however the way that our property is layed out it does appear that we are together and may be a little confusing on what is the resort and what is apart of Ocean Watch. In the resort we do have one desk in our lobby that is the Ocean Watch Villas and that is where they are there to introduce the Villas to any guests that may be interested. Outside of that we are two seperate properties. Our pool food services here at the resort typically stays open until 6pm, so we will make sure that we look into that issue and see how we might be able to correct that for your future stays with us. Thank you so much again for sharing this very valuable information and we do hope that we will have the opportuity to see you again for your next visit to the Myrtle Beach area.
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was the fifth time we stayed at this property. It is fantastic. Although we are Marriott Owners it is hard to find a room at this property in the summer. For the second straight year we used a company called Vacation Candy and like before, the trip went off like clockwork. The people at Vacation Candy are very nice and helpful, and each time they have what we want. I would use them again and of course stay at this property again. Great for the family.

Room Tip: High Floor gives you a great view
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so excited to hear that you enjoyed another stay at our resort. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments and we do hope that we will have the pleasure of seeing you again soon for your next visit to the Myrtle Beach area.
Greenville, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed at this resort for a week while my husband was in a tech meeting at the resort. We chose to stay at the Marriott because of the customer service and high standards we had become accustom too...Also because we were traveling with a baby and an 8 year old. When first arriving....I did my normal "mommy check" of the room and was disgusted with what I found. It was late and we were all exhausted so I chose to run to the store and grab cleaning supplies to at least take care of the bathroom. I was in shock and what was found...After CLEANING the entire room I pulled back the covers to the bed and found dried blood as well as body hair...I called the front and asked for fresh bedding and we went to dinner after waiting 45 minutes. When we arrived back I was shocked to find that housekeeping had taken the sheets and turned them inside out instead of changing them. The room was so outdated I was a little taken back because the property is so beautiful however the room was hugely disappointing especially considering what we paid for the week. so many things went wrong that week and I just never felt that anyone in management seemed to care. The rooms are not family friendly. I had to go to the lobby to warm bottles for our little one. No microwave or any other creature comforts. Not to mention that every day the cleaning crew came in they left more "body hair" I suppose from using dirty rags that were used in other rooms. I even had to ask a gentleman from room service to kill a family of spiders that the cleaning lady cleaned around. We really wanted to love this place...The pool was amazing so we spent most of our time in it and tried to stay out of the room.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank chrissezhi
Dear chrissezhi,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments in regards to your recent visit at our resort. I would like to apologize for the issues that you had with the cleanliness of your guest room. Please know that this is not the standard of our resort and this is something that we take very seriously. We will make sure to look into all of these and correct them all for all future stays. We would love the opportunity to personally apologize for these issues, if you would like to contact us here at our resort. We again sincerely apologize for these issues and we do hope that we will have opportunity to show you the service and cleanliness that our resort is known for. Thank you so much again.