“Great resort style property but not a lot of smiling faces”

Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Ranked #14 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed at this property for 6 nights and it was a very positive experience. Myrtle Beach is busy in the summer months and this resort is a little oasis away from all of that. Fantastic waterslide (for kids of all ages!) and pools, and the beach is terrific. Pool side service was excellent, although the food was not the best. (avoid the nachos; the wraps weren't bad) The rooms are actually only average, with a need for updating just around the corner. Everything was very clean though, and the lobby and other common areas are well kept.
The only negative to note aside from the price ($300/night) is there didn't seem to be many smiling faces. That may sound like an odd thing to mention, but my husband and I both commented on it. Perhaps it was because we were staying over the 4th of July (a very busy time) but there just didn't seem to be a lot of genuine 'fun' happening. Aside from that, because of the expansive and attractive pool area and soft sandy beach, a great place for a beach holiday away from the big MB crowds.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,368)

Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed 4 nights in August 2007 and had an awesome experience. We are staying again this year for the summer!

The bed was extremely comfortable and the rooms were very clean!!! We have stayed in several hotels in Myrtle Beach and have never found a hotel that was clean enough for our standards!!! We like to have clean rooms!! This hotel met our expectations!!! Very much worth the money!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2008

After reading the multiple positive reviews on this property, we decided to book our vacation here. We have a 8 month old child, and we figured we could drive to the beach, and that this resort would work well. There are several major negatives to this property, that anyone interested in staying here should be aware of:

1) There are no oceanview rooms with a balcony, and in fact, very few of the rooms themselves have balconies. It is entirely unclear why Marriott built the property in this fashion, but there it is. We requested a room with a balcony, which was invaluable when our child went to sleep at 8:30. Secondly, part of the fun of the beach is enjoying the breezes, and the sunrises/sunsets, which is hard to do without a balcony.

2) The rooms are completely inadequate for parties of more than two. They are equipped with 3 tiny shelves, and 2 stands for suitcases. How is that in anyway sufficient for a family of four to live for a week? The bathroom is miniscule, and comes with only one sink. Especially at the beach, where visitors often need to take multiple showers/changes, it unreal that they would not build a larger bathroom with a 2nd sink.

3) The restaurant selection is quite puzzling. There are 3 restaurants. There is breakfast at the Ocean's restaurant, and lunch is served at the Ocean Blu Cafe Outside, which is quite good. Unfortunately, the dinner selection is horrible! The Ocean Blu cafe closes at 6 PM, leaving only the BAR and the fancy Ocean's to have dinner. However, they both have the same menu (same as the room service, in fact), and the entrees are all priced from $26 - $36. How is this kid friendly? There is a small Kid's Menu for children under 10. For a Catergory 6 Marriott resort, I would expect at least another restaurant with more family friendly food on the property.

4) The gym is pathetic for a facility of this cost. There are several large TVs, but no headphone outlets on the equipment. So, you cannot hear the TVs when you are excercising.

5) The cost to rent an unbrella on the beach is $30/day, which is more expensive than all other areas of Myrtle/North Myrtle Beach.

6) All along, I really had the feeling that the main purpose for this hotel was to promote the timeshares at the Ocean Watch Villas nearby. These Villas had a clearly superior pool, better family friendly stuff, and are being heavily marketed. There is a desk in the lobby, and they offer you discounts to go preview these timeshares.

7) Many small, annoying things - had to call twice to get the room cleaned, leaving 2 decaffeinated coffees in the rooms, not leaving cups, not leaving shampoo, etc.

8) They have some hammocks to sleep on, but they are not shaded at all, rendering them useless.

Not everything is bad about the property. Some postives:

1) Poolside service from the bar is fast and excellent.

2) The slide by the pool is nice, and the pool scene is quite good.

3) The lemonade in the lobby is a nice touch.

4) Myrtle Beach is beautiful - warm water with soft sand.

5) I didn't use the Hibiscus spa, but my wife said it was quite nice.

If I were planning on coming to Myrtle beach with a family, I would skip this property altogether, save my money, and consider another option.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
10  Thank gvr001
Reviewed July 3, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights in June 08 for a business conference.

Overall, this hotel is a standard large resort, with everything you would expect from a Marriott. The pools are huge and have great poolside food/drink service. There is even a waterslide, and a poolside cafe. Watch out for the view from your room - our room had a horrible view (it was 3rd floor on a corner) of 2 roofs with all of the air conditioning units! Not nice! However, I saw a colleague's room and it was a gorgeous, expansive view of the beach.

Positives: The pools! The big balcony with rocking chairs. Nice lobby. Beach access. Fluffy bathrobes. Bath & Body works products in the bathrooms.

Negatives: (No huge negatives, just things to be aware of)
- This hotel is not really within walking distance of anything, if you want to go offsite for dinner, you have to have a car or get a taxi.
- The food, while good, is VERY expensive, and unfortunately, is the identical menu in all the restaurants (the hotel restaurant, bar and room service). Made for extremely expensive eating. The poolside menu/bar is more reasonably priced but has a limited selection.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Stayed at the Marriott from June 26th through the 30th and I have to say it is a beautiful resort. Everything was clean, service was great,staff were all very friendly and willing to go the extra mile to make sure that you were happy. Having been to myrtle beach only one other time, I was kind of apprehensive about it since I had thought that it was a cheesy kind of place. When my husband said that he was going to be playing in a Make a Wish golf tournament in Myrtle Beach and did I want to go I wasn't really sure that I did. Long story short, I left all five of my children at home with a babysitter and went with him. So very glad that I did because I had a most relaxing time just laying by the pool and reading, getting served tropical drinks by the pool staff. Much needed R&R. Not to say that there weren't plenty of children around, but they weren't mine. You can book this hotel and be confident that you have made the right choice. It really almost feels like you are in a tropical paradise.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 24, 2008

This is a beautiful resort. The property and rooms were very nicely kept and the pools are great. The staff was very friendly. We had great weather even in November. We loved the look and feel of the whole resort. The area is great and you won't ever run out of things to do in Myrtle Beach! A great place to stay and a great vacation destination. Would absolutely return.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bri_Carol
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Wow.. My girlfriend and I travel quite frequently and I must say this was the best service I have had in a long time. Everybody was all smiles, the service was always quick and friendly. I highly advise for other vacationers and travelers to stay here as it will wipe your stress away, even on work functions. We are going back in late July!!!

1  Thank edwardphilemon