“Impressive Staff”

Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Ranked #14 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I just cameback from a long weekend at the Marriott Resort. We had an overall great experience here and would not hesitate returning. What was most impressive was the way were treated by all of the staff. They were so friendly and helpful. The complex itself is very beautiful. I found our room to be clean and decorated pretty nice but nothing too extraordinary. The beds were comfortable. We originally rented a resort view room and to our suprise the hotel upgraded us to an ocean view room. Eventhough it is oceanview there is however no balcony. I assume to get a balcony you would need to get an ocean front room. To me, that might be worth the extra money. I missed having a balcony to relax on. The pools are great and there is easy access to the beach. I was disappointed that they do charge you to park your car. You also need to rent chairs and umbrellas for the beach they are not provided by the hotel. I also did like the location of the resort. It is on 82nd street which gives you easy access along the strand.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,368)

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I am giving this resort 3 stars because it IS a beautiful place! The pools are amazing and he lobby is beautiful. However, I've stayed at a lot of hotels in my life, and for the money this place is kind of a rip. the rooms are nice and clean. Beds are comfortable. But I've had nicer rooms at Holiday Inns and Hamptons around the country. I stayed here for two weeks. Several times my room was not cleaned at all. Not a huge deal at another hotel, but you'd think for the price you'd get exemplary service here. Food is overpriced and not all that. Drive down the street...it's way better. Parking is expensive and the deck isn't even secured or lit well. What are you paying for? And this has got to be the ONLY place on the planet that charges for wifi! And it's not cheap! $40 a week or $13 per day! McDonald's gives free wifi...even if you aren't a customer! Microwaves refused in rooms. I was here for an extended stay so it would've been nice to be able to heat up my overpriced leftovers from time to time. I will say that in terms of atmosphere this is probably as good as it gets in myrtle beach. But, you can stay in cherry grove right up the road in some very nice oceanfront suites that cost far less and provide better service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank delhommefan
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel is absolutely beautiful and luxurious in the lobby and pool areas. However, the rooms and service are not. We choose to stay here as we were thinking of buying into the Ocean Watch Villas next door. The first thing that went wrong is we made reservations for 5 people, 2 adults 3 children, and 2 queen/double beds 4 months in advance. Even confirmed the reservation numerous times. We get there, they only have a room with a King Size bed available. We had to live out of our suitcases since there was only 1 three drawer dresser to share between the 5 of us. I complained the bellhop who brought us up to the room and his response was, "don't blame me, blame the front desk. They are supposed to go over this with you not have you surprised when you open your hotel room door." I asked for more towels because obviously 2 were not enough and room service comes and hands me the pile because there is no place to hang or lay them in the bathroom or room.

We also specifically asked for feather free room. There were feathers in every piece of bedding. Then when room service brought up the hypo allergenic bedding they did not take away the feathers. They nickle and dime you for everything. WiFis not free, no free breakfast, newspaper is not free. We asked at the front desk for a recommendation for dinner some place close by they gave us a list of restaurants and not directions. Not one restaurant on the list was closer than 30 minutes away.

The bathrooms were not clean. There was leftover scuz in the shower from the previous people.

The pool area was beautiful and if you want to rent chairs poolside or on the beach, you could. However, there was no pool at all for toddlers. Just 2 big 3-5 feet deep pools. They didn't even have a sign in the lobby telling you the ocean temp, high tide and low tide.

There were plenty of hotels along the strip that we could have stayed at for less money and more family friendly amenities. We saw the signs outside a few that had free wifi, breakfast and water parks.

I guess they purposely give you poor service at the hotel so when you go the your Ocean Watch Villa tour you say to yourself, "i'd rather buy into this and know I will always be staying in a bigger room that have to deal with the poor service of an expensive hotel." Even our sales guy at the Villas said, "I'm not trying to make the hotel look bad, but they will charge you for every little thing. But if you buy a Villa it's all yours."

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank JanineB427
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Overall excellent experience. Initially we had to switch rooms since the firts one had the wrong beds. Beach access is easy & is worth using. Pool & outside amenities are what you should expect for a Marriot Resort. Food was average but service was above average. Spa facilities were also very good. No hesitiation in going back.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Marriott Grand Dunes Resort lives up to Marriott standards and service. Greeted by a nice young man (although someone should tell him not to chew gum while he is talking) and checked in early in the day (10 am). Room was great, super clean and comfortable and nice partial ocean view.

Their bar restaurant is excellent - we had one of the best hamburgers we have ever had. Fast and friendly service in the bar and the food was fantastic.

would definitely come again.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Located on the beach- we never even made it out there. The poolside service, bars and local attractions were more then enough to keep us entertained at the georgeous resort. We hit the spa here! Amazing- I would highly recommend staying here- off the beaten path- more private and quiet area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Our family chose Marriott Resort at Grand Dunes, Myrtle Beach for a four-day October mini-vacation. This resort is by far one of the prettiest and accommodating of any we have visited. Situated on the beautiful beach, surrounded by palms, you are whisked away to serenity no matter whether you choose the lovely pools, spa, beachfront, adirondack chairs on the balcony, or even the spacious lobby area. All the Marriott employees are friendly and so helpful, from helping us with our bags to printing out directions to local churches, attractions and restaurants. The buffet breakfast is wonderful though a bit pricey. But this is Marriott, after all. Suggest dinners out at local top-rated restaurants, including Bistro 90, just 10 minutes away. When we return to Myrtle beach, we will stay here, no question.

Room Tip: The oceanfront rooms are worth it, especially if you can get a vacation package here. Found beds ve...